Thread: shooting a bow after shouler surgery

Default shooting a bow after shouler surgery

I have my shoulder re built bascially and was wondering how long it took for you guys to picl up and were able to shoot again
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I cant say that i have had my shoulder rebuilt but have shot with people that have. They all have gone to a bow with a lot smoother draw... A longer axle to axle should help with this. Try an elite if you have the spair coins, seems to have a lot smoother draw to me.

I had rotator cuff surgery in my left shoulder (I'm right handed) in Apr 11 after an 8' fall in my shop onto my bandsaw and couldn't shoot a bow until Feb 12 but then I'm 63 now so I may not heal as well as younger folks. I started with a 30 lb recurve and a dozen arrows per day and worked up to 2 dozen per day before going up to a heavier bow. I could not shoot a compound until May 12 because of the shock to my shoulder when the cam rolled over it hurt my shoulder even though the let-off made it easier to hold. I'm up to a compound set at 53lbs now and shoot 24 arrows per day almost every day now. I'm also shooting my 43 lb recurve and 40lb long bow pretty well. I seem to be getting better by the week and will be able to hunt when September rolls around.

Don't be discourged by the above....you may heal faster than me depending upon how you heal.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Everyone heals differently so you can be different than anyone else. I think the best thing to do is start slow. Low draw weight and only a few arrow a day and work up from there. Don't push it and hurt your self. Good luck and a speedy recovery

Set your weight very low. Build slow and don't move up in weight if you feel any pain. Stay away from heavy cam bows till your 100%. If you go the traditional route, becareful in moving up as it can cause issues with short drawing if you over bow while healing.

I urge you to use caution when lowering bow draw weight,some bows dont like limb bolts loosened too much, be sure to check manufacture specs on that....
    dave

I imagine everyone is a lot different. I had mine rebuilt and it was about 1.5 years before I felt comfortable shooting again. I can only draw about 60lbs and shoot comfortably at 55-57lbs. I used to shoot comfortably at 67lbs so I never regained all the strength but luckily the new 60lb bows are still pretty fast. I did have a crossbow permit for the two seasons that I was rehabbing and it was fun to shoot but I like my compound better. My advice would be to take it slow because you definitley don't want to have a second repair on a shoulder--they typically don't go very well. Good Luck and try a crossbow out if you have a chance.
    Greg

Be sure to do the stiff arm thumb and soup can raises religiously. If rehab didn't show you then send me a PM and I'll explain. They'll get you back in the game faster than anything without damaging your cuff again. These exercises strengthen the little muscles that hold everything together. You never work them unless you do these exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    Be sure to do the stiff arm thumb and soup can raises religiously. If rehab didn't show you then send me a PM and I'll explain. They'll get you back in the game faster than anything without damaging your cuff again. These exercises strengthen the little muscles that hold everything together. You never work them unless you do these exercises.
    Correct!!

I also used the different color rubber bands a lot and they seem to help as well. One of my early problems with the bow was lifting and holding steady to get the pin on target which is why I used a recurve without sights to get started. That gave me confidence and the 30Lb bow was easy on the shoulder without any drama on release and very little shock due to Simms vibration stuff stuck on the limbs.

60lbs is a streach for me now so I'm cranked back to 54/55 lbs on the compound and I'm OK for 25 arrows a day...sometimes 20 is better. Not much you can't kill with 54 lbs. and a good heavy broadhead properly placed.

Good luck and go easy!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I can't comment on bow-specific exercizes but I can tell you about my experiences with my shoulder coming out of socket on a regular basis as a kid because some well-meaning adult decided to swing me around by my arms when I was 7 or so. it was a constant thing, my shoulder would just dislocate. and then I started lifting weights at about 14 or 15. the trick is to build muscle mass in the shoulder and back and chest to help placate some of the load taken on by the tendons and connective tissue, and to strengthen the tendons, punch a heavy bag and also do punches with 2-5 pound dumbells. If you have shoulder problems, I wouldn't do any "fly" type movements at all until they have gone away entirely, and also stay away from any serious heavy lifting.

Bent over dumbell rows, stiff legged deadlifts, military press, pushups...all high rep, plus bag work, punching, straight, roundhouse, jabs, straight up, with light dumbells.......will all help your shoulder immensely. Don't do anything heavy or with weight that you can only do for 1 rep or try to draw a bow that takes every bit of strength you have.