Thread: Tsunami Debri in PWS Volunteers?

Default Tsunami Debri in PWS Volunteers?

I was reading the news this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/alaskan-crews-...005438805.html

If there is that big of an effort going on, and it is going to cost around $45Mil. Why arent they asking for volunteers? I havent heard of anywhere asking for people with boats, or volunteers to jump on a barge for one week at a time. If it is going to cost that much of our gov. money, then why not. I would love to jump on a ferry or barge and go out to montogue for some trash cleaning. If it keeps or alaskan wilderness clean, i bet you would get a lot of volunteers for this.....Just wondering.

Joe.

Might luck up and find another Harley
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I don't know the details of any organization or group of vols, but I was out around Evans and Bainbridge 18-23 May, and there was a group of 4 or more boats rafting off evenings, and picking up shore parties periodically. I heard them talk about cleaning up certain beaches. They were also talking about kayakers. Sounded like the shore parties were spending some overnights.

I definitely got the impression they were on neither fishing nor hunting trips. Perhaps some ecotourism in the form of kayaking and beach cleanup. Good on them!

Gulf of Alaska Keeper is a non profit organization that has been cleaning up beaches for many years and documents the various waste that is picked up off of beaches. There are many beaches in PWS that they clean up every few years and track the waste streams and the tons of waste removed and keep an ongoing data base. They have cleanups every spring at certain locations and welcome volunteers to participate. I think this year they were down by Bainbridge Passage. You can google it to find more info. The guy, Chris Pallister, that has been on CNN news runs the operation.

If anyone finds one of those 4x4 mini trucks I am interested!

That sounds right. I heard the captains talking about a Chris among other names.