Thread: Denali Hwy. ATV Scouting

Default Denali Hwy. ATV Scouting

I've got the regs in front of me, not sure if I'm missing something, but thought I'd ask here where someone might know. If I went camping/hunting up on the Denali Hwy, after bear, in Unit 13E, is it legal for me to ride the shoulder of the hwy. on an ATV while glassing for bear off the road. Also, as long as I'm off the roadway, is it legal to shoot, or is there a minimum distance. Just wasn't sure about the legality of using an atv for spotting game, or whether they are allowed on the road shoulder. Thanks.

During the 'normal' moose and caribou season, it is quite common to see AVT's running up and down the Denali highway. In the years that we have been up there, LEO's have not told us that we could not ride on the Denali and we have stopped to talk with several of them.
    Not saying that it is 'right' jsut that as long as you obey the rules of the road, it seems to be OK.

ATVs are legal for hunting, glassing, etc. on and off road. You may not shoot from a moving vehicle. You may not shoot from the driveable surface of a govt. maintained road. You may not shoot across the same roads.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The better question is: Do love eating dust........?????

Thanks for confirming that I'd be in the ok, the wonderful thing about only having one atv, actually the only thing good about having one atv, it means there won't be anyone in front of me killing my eyes, at least, I hope not. Thank again.

Goggles work wonders.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Goggles work wonders.
    What's this have to do with op question...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    What's this have to do with op question...
    It's a throwback for the OP in post #5. Besides your the king of bidirectional commentary LOL.

Hey more sidetracking, ranger season is upon us. Going into unit 16 June 8-11 to poke around and play in the mud.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

if you look closer into the regs, im pretty sure it says as long as your doing a wheelie you can ride on any surface in alaska.
    Semper Fi!