Thread: USCG required....whistle!

Default USCG required....whistle!

This just in from Alaska Dispatch...

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...s-risk-60-fine

When I bought my boat from Marita I also got all the accessories and safety items at the same time. One of those items was a whistle. I remember chuckling when I saw it. Another item was one of those air horn in a can things. Do I need both or can I ditch the can? Do they have to be accessible at all times? Or can they be stowed away? I just got a jon boat so I like to stow that stuff in a box out of the way. But always wondered if the sound device had to be accessible or not. Like the horn in your vehicle is.

Ok i read the pdf link. Just whistle is required. Answered my own question.

I have one tied on every vest of mine along with a dye marker
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Although a whistle is good to have as a backup, a horn will satisfy the "sound producing device" requirement. Just have to be aware that the contact for the horn can get corrosion and only during an inspection will it not work... thats where the whistle comes in handy. Item 8 of the VSC checklist reads:

SOUND PRODUCING DEVIC
    ETo comply with Navigation
    Rules and for distress signaling purposes all boats must carry a sound
    producing device (whistle, horn, siren, etc.) capable of a 4-second blast audible
    for mile. Boats larger than 39.4 ft. are also required to have a bell
    (see Navigation Rules.)

http://uscg.mil/hq/cg3/cg3pcx/public...012_SAMPLE.pdf

Years ago, I was at the Seward sea kayak symposium. The Coast Guard did a deomostration of the effectiveness of a whistle over water and it was impressive. They headed out off shore in a cabin cruiser, whistling every few seconds until they were a good half mile out. The whistle was still quite audible, well beyond the sound of engines, background, wind etc. So, apparently it is a pretty simple albeit functional safety device and I have kept one attatched to all my pfd's and hand held radios since.

If you ever end up in the water and are being searched for by rescue you will wish you had everything. I have been on training and Search & Rescues, think about what you look like in the water, just your head and if your arms are not to tired to raise. But at 100 yards your a small target.
    I'm glad to see a new guy Roger to Ocean Boating take safety to heart. If your too cheap to buy a whistle/light/dye marker before you go in, then think about how much you would spend when the rescue team is 500 yars away and looking for you!
    Luck is not a very good safety item to depend on is it.

Both Wallys and Sportsman whse sells the orange plastic whistles for under $2.

Coast Guard rep will be at Finger Lake all weekend doing free boat inspections, he was pretty busy today.

A park ranger on the middle kenai, gave me a warning a for not have a sound producing device in my raft and was nice enough to give me a whistle after he wrote me a ticket for not having my raft and massive 3.5 hp motor registered.

Would appear to be a discrepancy. I was not asked if I had a whistle, just a sound making device...Horns

Look at:

http://www.uscgboating.org/fedreqs/default.html

Look at page 25/26 and the note on page 26.

Then look at:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...4.26.2&idno=33

Title 33, Part 83, section 83.33(b):

b) Vessels of less than 12 meters in length. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to carry the sound signaling appliances prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule but if she does not, she shall be provided with some other means of making an efficient sound signal.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/