Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: And don't forget your whistle...

  1. #1
    Member Cliffhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Homer, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default And don't forget your whistle...


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Does a compressed air horn satisfy that requirement? It does in Washington so I ASSUMED it did here, perhaps i'm in for trouble?

  3. #3
    Member Boreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southcentral AK
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Does a compressed air horn satisfy that requirement? It does in Washington so I ASSUMED it did here, perhaps i'm in for trouble?
    The air horn works. Regs say you need an artificial way to generate noise, meaning yelling doesn't cut it. The whistle is just the cheapest, most common way.

  4. #4
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    The horn on my halibut boat quit working. I bought a whistle of sorts that is extremely loud that I carry on my boat.
    It is made by sea sense and is something like 120 decibels. I think it is a good alternative to a standard whistle.
    Sells for @ $10.here is a link http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...5&merchID=4006
    sounds like I need to get one for my other river/lake boat as well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    The air horn works. Regs say you need an artificial way to generate noise, meaning yelling doesn't cut it. The whistle is just the cheapest, most common way.
    Yeah, I'm with Boreal on this one. I think Craig Medred was slightly off base there in saying you specifically have to have a "whistle" aboard. I don't have the regs right in front of me, but I believe you just have to have an artifical means of generating noise just like Boreal says.

    One thing that I try to do every year is have one of the Coast Guard Auxiliary do a safety inspection of my boat. They usually have Coast Guard approved whistles they'll give you for free, so no need to buy one. Just a thought.

    ADDENDUM: Well I may owe Craig an apology. I just found the "BOATER’S GUIDE TO THE FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RECREATIONAL BOATS" in PDF form on the web (http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...ations/420.PDF) and it definitely states there that a "whistle" is required. I always thought it was just any "sound device" capable of making a warning sound. Have to get clarification on that one.

    ADDENDUM II: I just looked up the actual reg (http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent#rule32%20$%2033) and this is what it says: "Rule 32 - Definitions

    (a) The word "whistle" means any sound signaling appliance capable of producing the prescribed blasts and which complies with the specifications in Annex III to these [Regulations | Rules]." So I guess "whistle" is a broadly defined term.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The horn on my halibut boat quit working. I bought a whistle of sorts that is extremely loud that I carry on my boat.
    It is made by sea sense and is something like 120 decibels. I think it is a good alternative to a standard whistle.
    Sells for @ $10.here is a link http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...5&merchID=4006
    sounds like I need to get one for my other river/lake boat as well.

    Thanks for the link, i'm on it!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •