Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Give me your tired, poor, hungry cod...

Default Give me your tired, poor, hungry cod...

I realize this may incur the wrath of many, but... I looooove cod. I'll eat it over halibut and salmon any day. I know, I know. That's sacrilege up here but what can I say. It kills me to watch you guys use them as bait or toss them back, knowing my cast iron skillet is ready to accept them into its bosom.

I just got access to a friend's boat for the summer and I'm going to make the sacrifice and volunteer to clean all of the cod out of your favorite holes and fill my freezer. I'm doing this just for you guys because you're special. <sniff><sniff>

I'm planning on mostly doing daytrips to Whittier but I'll probably throw in a few trips to Seward along the way. Any and all suggestions on where to go to haul in cod after beautiful(?) tasty(!) cod would be greatly appreciated. As would advice on typical depth/structures they like to hang out on.

Cheeser there are plenty out there thats for sure. Fill away you wont hurt the population of them thats for sure. Personally i am not that fond of Cod and like Halibut much better but its all a mater of personal taste.

I also like Cod over Halibut.

I Prefer rockfish over all,but like cod too.Never have fished out of Whittier,but have caught some dandy cod off of Fox Isl in Resurrection Bay in Seward.

Took my mom down to homer spit the other day and filled a trash bag with cod. I eat em too you're not alone. Everyone that was fishing off the spit was crushing em. Not a bad place to reel some fish in.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I'm also in the cod over halibut club, I think there are more of us than you think!

So I should go shallower? I can't seem to find the dang things. Rockfish and halibut galore, but only the rare cod. I've been mostly looking on rocky dropoffs in about 150-200'.

If your talking about grey cod and NOT ling cod then you should be fishing sandy flat bottoms just like halibut fishing. I have done well drifting 100-200' of water in "typical" halibut spots. I also seem to do a bit better catching cod on flashy rigs, the pre-made halibut rigs with a big blue or green hoochie seems to catch lots of them.

Are grey cod the same thing as what I've seen called pacific cod? If so, that's what i'm looking for.

The flats, huh? That may explain things. I rarely fish on the sandy flats as I seem to have better luck on rocky bottoms. Thanks for the tip!!

Cod is sure good eating. I always keep a few if I happen to catch them.

Save some for me Cheeser I can not get back out til Sept. And I was going to try to fill my freezer then also LOL!! My wife said if we do not catch any.She was going to hold up a sign at the dock saying "WILL CLEAN BOAT FOR COD"
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

You may have a tough time getting on significant numbers of cod in the fishable depths of the Sound. They may exist, but the kicker with the Sound is that it is so deep. While longlining out there for sablefish, we'll get into cod like crazy if we get too shallow - but "too shallow" counts as 1,200-1,400' deep as opposed to our general depths of 1,800-2,400'. There aren't many ideal cod bottoms (flat, muddy, or in the coral) that exist at fishable depths out there. If you really want cod, Homer is the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    So I should go shallower? I can't seem to find the dang things. Rockfish and halibut galore, but only the rare cod. I've been mostly looking on rocky dropoffs in about 150-200'.
    We fished just off the end of the spit. I would guess the water was about 60-100 ft deep where we were casting as it took about 4 seconds for the 3oz weight to hit the bottom. I was sandy and then as you reeled in you could tell it changed to rocks closer to shore. There were about a dozen people out there and it must have been a cod feeding frenzy because at one point it was almost every cast we were pulling one in.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

One of the spots I set my halibut skate in PWS is FULL of cod. I fish 30 hooks total on two long lines, and on this particular spot I average about 12-18 cod, and 5-7 halibut per set. I used to throw them back if I could do so without damage, keep the others that I killed for bait. I could never get over that stinky smell. I ended up, after getting advice from Brian M, eating one, and now I'm a beleiver. Some darn could eats. I'm glad to keep all of them if guys want some fish ~ send me a PM if you do and I'll bring them back.

This is the cod we get out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    One of the spots I set my halibut skate in PWS is FULL of cod. I fish 30 hooks total on two long lines, and on this particular spot I average about 12-18 cod, and 5-7 halibut per set. I used to throw them back if I could do so without damage, keep the others that I killed for bait. I could never get over that stinky smell. I ended up, after getting advice from Brian M, eating one, and now I'm a beleiver. Some darn could eats. I'm glad to keep all of them if guys want some fish ~ send me a PM if you do and I'll bring them back.

This is the cod we get out there.
    Fish sticks Yummmmmm
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I'm wondering how you guys are cleaning them? Years ago I watched a native guy I knew take the cod and hold it upright like it was swimming. He would take the fillet knife and cut it right behind the head to the backbone and then angle the blade horizontally and cut along the backbone to the tail. He would only keep that nice chunk of meat off the top of the fish. Are you guys just gutting them and cooking up the whole fish? Or filleting both sides...??? Just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    We fished just off the end of the spit. I would guess the water was about 60-100 ft deep where we were casting as it took about 4 seconds for the 3oz weight to hit the bottom. I was sandy and then as you reeled in you could tell it changed to rocks closer to shore. There were about a dozen people out there and it must have been a cod feeding frenzy because at one point it was almost every cast we were pulling one in.
    I strongly suspect you were into the walleye pollack, not pacific (grey) cod.
    The pollack off the end of the spit are so thick at times my sounder says I am in no water at all, but we only jig up the occasional p-cod.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I filet them just like any other fish. Leaving the guts intact makes for easy cleanup.

Fish sticks? I like a tasty cod fry as much as anyone but my favorite is dusted with spices and flash sauteed in a smoking hot skillet wtih some olive oil. A splash of lemon and some capers near the end, deglaze with some white whine and it's dinner time!

For those familiar with fishing out of Whittier, how far do you think I need to go to get into some decent cod?

Last summer when we were fishing for coho in Chevalle Narrows out of Seward I dropped jigs to the bottom between schools of silvers. I think we took about six of them which wasn't bad considering I wasn't targetting them. I think we were in about 200' of water. We also took a few small halibut.

Another spot I've done well for cod is around Gull rock in K-bay. Fish the flat spots right where they start dropping deeper.

The don't seem too picky on what you use, metal jigs (point wilson dart style), lead heads with grub tails etc.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

SW Naked's been really consistant for us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast