Thread: Local Lakes

Default Local Lakes

anyone having any luck at our local Anch lakes. Ive fished Jewel lake twice this week and only saw two fish. Gonna go to cheney lake this evening Im thinking or maybe back to jewel. heading back to the slope on monday and would really like to catch at least one fish lol i have had the worst luck this year.

The lakes are on fire!!!!
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    The lakes are on fire!!!!
    Does this mean my wooden fishing boat will burn? Should I go get an aluminum one or is the fire so hot I need one made of steel?

Check out Sand Lake, I was catching many Artic Chars the other night. They are not that big, but you can catch them pretty easily...

I was at Cheney lake on Wednesday with my boys to see if they could cath a fish or two. There is a ton of fish that are just swimming around the shallows. Nothing massive but would be great for the kids to reel in. They were not hitting anything. I threw out salmon eggs and shrimp. I had one nibble the shrimp but that was all. They were just swimming around aimlessly. Some fish even beached themseleves! Weird. I didn't bring any small spinners but maybe that would intice them to strike. I was only there for about an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    I was at Cheney lake on Wednesday with my boys to see if they could cath a fish or two. There is a ton of fish that are just swimming around the shallows. Nothing massive but would be great for the kids to reel in. They were not hitting anything. I threw out salmon eggs and shrimp. I had one nibble the shrimp but that was all. They were just swimming around aimlessly. Some fish even beached themseleves! Weird. I didn't bring any small spinners but maybe that would intice them to strike. I was only there for about an hour.
    Haha, I was there a couple of nights ago and witnessed the same thing. For a second I thought I was at Ship Creek because there were people lined up everywhere around the lake (thanks ADN). I was only there for an hour and I threw spinners, powerbait, and eggs and watched them let it pass right by them! There were quiet a few swimming around, but the ones that I saw were tiny...

Went back out to Cheney tonight and it was a totally different story. They were nailing small spinners - but didnt notice anyone really catching anything on flies or salmon eggs...

Quote Originally Posted by FishAddictAK View Post
    Went back out to Cheney tonight and it was a totally different story. They were nailing small spinners - but didnt notice anyone really catching anything on flies or salmon eggs...
    I figured the small spinners would work. I will have to hit that lake again with my boys. Thanks for the report

Just got back from Wasilla lake. While visiting the inlaws I decided to take a drive to just check things out. There a bunch of suckers in the spawn just swimming around. I Threw out a smolt pattern right from the boat launch into the deeper water and had a very nice rainbow hit it. It leaped about 3 feet completely out of the water. It looks to be 20" or over. As I got a little excited as it jumped it popped me off. Pretty cool to see it's acrobatics. I cast a few more times with no hook ups before I left.