Thread: Kasilof? Kenai?

Default Kasilof? Kenai?

Im currently Active Duty Airforce and have only been stationed in anchorage since January. I know some Kings have been reported coming in and was hoping to find a decent camp ground (il be in a tent) to stay at and be able to fish. I have never been to Kenai or the kasilof but was hoping for some suggestions of where to go and be able to bank fish?? Ive herd maybe crooked creek? (doesnt have to be for kings) Any Info or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I would go to Crooked Creek, that would be my first choiced if I was shore bound. You can fish the Kasilof with an easy walk to the river and you are close to other shore fisheries (assuming they are open this weekend, check the regs).

I would probably pass on the Kasilof and Kenai if I were shore fishing. I would head to the Anchor or the Ninilchik. Again, you'll have to check the reds. I've had good luck fishing the Ninilchik Memorial Day Weekend in past years. I've camped on the beach which has been fun-I recommend 4-wheel-drive though. And don't be one of those idiots that drive out onto the flats when the tide is out. You will get stuck.
    You'll definitely want to fish the tides for Ninilchik and stake out your spot early.
    I've fished the Kasilof the last 4 years on memorial day weekend, but from a boat. I see a lot of people fishing from the shore, and some do catch kings, but it seems like most of the kings I see caught are from a boat.

Thanks for the info, and do you know if there are some areas you can easily access without 4wheel drive?

Kasilof at crooked creek is a good chance of hook up. If you have no action you can easily drive down the road another 30 minutes to deep creek ninilchick or anchor. Not sure about the openings on those streams for dates though. Then from there its a short drive down to homer for some spit fishing. Lots of options.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks, I will be sure to try it out and let you know of any luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Kasilof at crooked creek is a good chance of hook up. If you have no action you can easily drive down the road another 30 minutes to deep creek ninilchick or anchor. Not sure about the openings on those streams for dates though. Then from there its a short drive down to homer for some spit fishing. Lots of options.

Was at the Kasilof last night,no real action to speak of,river is still really low.Hopefully,it should pick up any day now.

Just got back from crooked creek, no real action to speak of... Watched a few drift boats hook up but still very slow.