Thread: Crab fishing regulation question.

Default Crab fishing regulation question.

So I was reading the shellfish regulations and found a crab fishing reg I had not previously known about.
    it states that:

Once a bag limit is removed from a pot,it may not be returned to the water containing any live crab.

What we have done before is pull both of my pots with only two of us on my boat. We had 25 legal crabs but a limit of 5 each. knowing I would have 3 people on the boat the next day we rebaited the pot and sent the excess legal crabs back down in the pot for the next days pick.
    So was I in the wrong or is this regulation new?
    Also what is the real point of this regulation? I suppose it keeps me from returning later the same day for another pick. Then again on the day mentioned earlier that was on a 4-5 hour soak so I suppose we could have returned anyway and expected a good number of crabs as well from a second illegal pick .
    Anybody have any knowledge on this?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It is not new. You may want to edit your post. Hate to see it used against you. You heard of someone doing this???

Actually it was a coworker of mine who mentioned someone doing this.
    And it was many years ago.

Still wondering what the point of this silly regulation is?
    I can't see this hurting the crabs at all.
    Theoretically you could leave a pot all season and only pick it once a month or less,but if you leave some legal crabs for the next days pick in the pot that is illegal.Really?
    I guess so and I will be sure and not do this.

I'm kind of in agreement with polardds. Sounds as though you're pretty much letting everyone know that you inadvertently were breaking the regulations.

The way I read it legally those crab you send back down were caught on the same day you already legally filled your personal quota (that's a lotta legals). It probably doesn't hurt the crabs, but it would be like catching a nice king on a particular day and then catching another one a while later on the same day and (if it were possible, and yeah, this sounds pretty far fetched) putting it in some sort of enclosure, or hooking a buoy to it and then going back the next day and bringing it in and saying you caught it that day.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Just for the record I never intentionaly break any laws.
    I always read the new regs book cover to cover looking to see what might have changed and to stay on the legal side of things. That is why I think this is a new regulation.
    While cleaning my boat today I found a copy of the 2009 reg booklet. Upon looking through it there is no reference to this regulation.
    I know that is the year my story above is from because crabbing reopened in 08 and it was the year after that. The first year I buoy pulled my pots and then got a pot puller for christmas(thanks dad). When I did this it was the first use of my new puller.
    Havent done it in quite some time now (2 years or more).
    Anyway just trying to keep myself and others on the legal side of things.

Btw Dave I have probably unknowingly caught many legal crabs on one day that were retained the next day. Once my pot is baited and set I am sure several crabs have entered my pots before midnight. I just didn't know it.
    Kings on hook and line are vastly different than shellfish in a pot.

One of the most important parts is knowing the bag limits.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    One of the most important parts is knowing the bag limits.
    Exactly! That's why we didn't keep those excess legal sized crabs.
    We kept our 5 each and that was it.
    What's the difference really between
    Having crabs in your pot you sent back down and the crab that enters 5 minutes after it hits bottom?

Update just found a copy of 2010 Regs and not in there either.
    Must be newer than that.
    Anybody got a 2011 booklet they can check?

It would seem that when you take the pot and crabs out of the water you've taken "possession" of them. By not releasing them you are considered to be retaining them. You may be storing them elsewhere, but you've still retained them. Thus they count towards your daily bag limit. Your point of where they're stored is a moot point by then. As is the crab that enters the pot after you've dropped it back down. You've never taken possession and it is a moot point until you do.

The application of your logic to salmon in the example above is spot-on. Using your logic we can catch as many kings as we want. Just put the excess bag limit on stringers attached to an anchor/rope/buoy. We can go back each day and take one off the stringer.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Just for the record I never intentionaly break any laws.

Btw Dave I have probably unknowingly caught many legal crabs on one day that were retained the next day. Once my pot is baited and set I am sure several crabs have entered my pots before midnight. I just didn't know it.
    Kings on hook and line are vastly different than shellfish in a pot.
    I never suggested you broke the law on purpose. As I said, I suggested you might have broken the law inadvertently. Just as you wondered about: "So was I in the wrong or is this regulation new?" And someone else suggested it even before I did. I just agreed with them that if it was a law at the time your post would be admitting you had broken the law.

And you asked a question regarding the reasoning for the law and in response to the question I made a speculative statement as to why I thought it might be the law just as you requested. And in that response gave a situation that, as I even said, might be a little far fetched. I'm not quite sure why you are admonishing me for giving you a response as you asked for. Why aren't you admonishing polardds for suggesting you broke the law?

Default My take

I think the reason that the regulation requires an empty pot sent back down is to give the crab a fighting chance (is there "fair chase" in fishing? -- maybe not so phrased but still we do it on some levels.)

By "resetting" your pot to empty you give those critters a chance. If not you basically have a holding tank and with a somewhat fragile, finite fishery -- newly reinstated here in KBay -- that regulation is a conservation approach.

My experience is the longer you leave the pot in the water the more likely their nemesis, Mr. Octopus, will come in and do the "Nightmare on Elm Street" routine on those crab. Possibly another reason the regs require the empty pot...

Maybe it because putting keepers back would be like catching over your limit of halibut and putting them on a stringer with a bouy and anchor only to come back the next day and pick them up. Thats the only reason i can think of. If you caught more than your limit and you send the pot back down would it make any difference as you would have a new limit in the pot anyway and you can still only catch 5 each anyway.

I guess I could see if somone were doing this on a regular basis it would be an issue.
    I was thinking more along the lines of dropping pots saturday morning pulling that afternoon sending a couple of extras back down if you were lucky enough to catch them. Then pulling them completly out of the water on Sunday afternoon and letting any excess go at that point if you were lucky enough to have done that well.
    Not continuing to do this all season long on a daily basis or some kind of rotation.
    I suppose though they have to write it this way or some would abuse the system and cause problems.
    I still believe this is new as I don't recall reading it anywhere on the permit or in the regs and I know it isn't in the regs from 2009 and 2010. Like I said I do read the regs pretty thoroughly each year and any other related stuff like permits licenses etc. I prefer to avoid confrontations with law enforcement. they are usually pretty nice but I have met a couple that were a pain in the rear to deal with even when we were 100% legal.
    Anyway I wouldn't think of doing this anymore as it is clearly stated in the regs that it is currently not legal and now we all know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I never suggested you broke the law on purpose. As I said, I suggested you might have broken the law inadvertently. Just as you wondered about: "So was I in the wrong or is this regulation new?" And someone else suggested it even before I did. I just agreed with them that if it was a law at the time your post would be admitting you had broken the law.

And you asked a question regarding the reasoning for the law and in response to the question I made a speculative statement as to why I thought it might be the law just as you requested. And in that response gave a situation that, as I even said, might be a little far fetched. I'm not quite sure why you are admonishing me for giving you a response as you asked for. Why aren't you admonishing polardds for suggesting you broke the law?
    Well Dave sorry for mentioning your name I forgot how sensitive you are about that.
    My question was is it new and you have not provided any insight as to wether it has been in effect since the reopening of tanner crab fishing in 08 or if it is new as it just this year appears in the reg book. It may have been on the harvest card ,but I don't have an old one to look at as I sent them in. I am pretty good at reading these things throughly and think I would remember such a rule. But I could be wrong.It may have also gone into effect sometime between 08 and now but was on the harvest card and not in the reg book.
    Apparently they thought it important enough that it is in the reg book now.
    Also comparing fish on a line to shellfish in a pot in my opinion is comparing apples to oranges.
    Taking a fish off a line and storing it somehow is vastly different than puting crabs back in a pot you just took them out of.
    If leo's found only some legal crabs in a pot in the inlet they would not question it. If they found sportfish floating on a stringer with a buoy on it or in a cage of somekind that would surely raise suspicion.
    I suppose a better analogy would be arriving at a fishing spot at 11:30 pm and boating 2 fish. Hooking another one before midnight but leaving it on the line until after midnight reeling it up and counting it towards your limit for day number 2.
    Regardless ADF&G found it important enough to put this in the 2012 reg book and I wanted others to be aware of it also so we can all avoid a ticket and help preserve this fishery.

It was in the 2011 rules.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Just post the video of you live-welling them in the trap them and you've receive your Ted Nugent certificate of self incrimination!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    It was in the 2011 rules.
    Thanks for the update on that.
    Like I said I couldn't find it in the 09 or 10 reg booklets.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Well Dave sorry for mentioning your name I forgot how sensitive you are about that.
    I'm only sensitive of someone mentioning my name when they do it TOTALLY out of context and act like a spoiled child that didn't get the answer they wanted. Such as the fact that you asked a question and I gave you an answer and for some weird reason you took offense to my answer. I am not the only one here that thinks doing what you apparently think is alright to do from your weird, twisted analogy, is wrong to do. I hate people that will do any possible thing they can do to bend the rules to suit their needs like you seem to be doing here. You SO OBVIOUSLY want someone to validate your thinking by saying what a ridiculous law it it andthat it should be fine to do it. Apparently, as Alaskanmutt says, it is in the 2011 book, so I guess you aren't "pretty good at reading" like you say you are. That's very apparent, too, from what you are spewing here in response to my response.

act like a spoiled child

Thats like the pot calling the kettle black

Chris i cant understand it either. I will say this . At times you have be a Philadelphia attorney to understand all the laws much less understand what the law is there for

As it was said earlier, once you have landed the crab, they are in your possession until you release them. Dropping them back down in your pot is not releasing them.