Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on using a shotgun while hunting over a bait barrel

Default Thoughts on using a shotgun while hunting over a bait barrel

Next year I am thinking about using a bait barrel and was wondering if using my remington 870 with a rifled barrel for bears would be a good choice or should I stick with a rifle? If the shotgun will do well what slugs should I use its a 3" chamber.

What slug choices are available to you?

What caliber is your rifle?

And why wait till next year to hunt over a barrel?

Im currently deployed right now so no hunting for me this year. I have a 30-06 and a 300wsm. I know both of those will do the trick just curious if the shotgun would work. I have a sportsmans warehouse about 5 miles from my house so whatever they carry or I can order them if need be.

Thanks for your service.

Both rifles would do fine.

I did a search for "shotgun" and found the following thread.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=shotgun

Of course, there are many more threads on the subject.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your service also! Yes a shotgun with slugs at short range will do the trick just fine. My question would be, "Why?" I would just use your 30-06 and be done with it. Your taxidermist would probably rather sew up a 30 calibre hole than a 12 guage hole also. Not saying its a bad idea, just don't know what your reasoning would be.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Ok if I use my 30-06 im assuming 180gr would be the weight but what brand or style bullet should I use?

I used 00 buckshot 3" load on my first bear. 14 of the 15 pellets exited on the far side double lunged at 9 yards. The bear went a mere few yards and collapsed almost instantly. Never even death moaned, instantly out of it! The taxidermist never complained or charged extra on the lifesize mount that came out perfect!

I shot a bear over bait with a 12 gauge and a brenneke black magic rifled slug in a smooth bore shotgun. It put the bear down quick with zero meat damage.
    The exit hole was the same size as the entry and with slow velocities, you dont have to worry about blowing a large chunk of hide off the back side if you hit bone like you would with a 3000 fps+ rifle at those ranges.
    My .02. They work very well.

Im still torn on the issue but will set up both the 30-06 and the 870 for which ever one I choose. Now the next question will be what type of stand should I get ladder, hanging, or climbing? Also where is the best place to get a couple barrels? And one last question what is a good affordable trail cam?

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    Im still torn on the issue but will set up both the 30-06 and the 870 for which ever one I choose.
    Then take both. Our party (whether one person or three) usually has three or more weapons (archery, Muzzleloader, rifle(s), pistol(s) on a hunt.

Now the next question will be what type of stand should I get ladder, hanging, or climbing??
    Although we can haul a lot of gear, we don't use a tree stand as we value our space for other gear. We sit on the ground....but our bait site isn’t infested with brown bears.

Also where is the best place to get a couple barrels?
    Just about any container will do...heck you could spill food on the ground, cover it over with deadfall, and they will find it. Keep in mind that if they don't find it, you'll need to clean up the food and contaminated soil before the last day of the season.

Barrels can be purchased locally. I recall seeing a thread that “Knight’s Taxidermy” might have used barrels for sale. You could look at Craig’s list. New barrels can be purchased from Unitech of Alaska.

And FWIW - I have a couple barrels that I could give away at the end of the season…. They have developed some character as they have accumulated some dents from a brown bear. Therefore, they don’t hold what they used to.

And one last question what is a good affordable trail cam?
    Probably a matter of personal preference. I have several Bushnells that are performing well. But they were 150-200 each. I'm happy with the camera's sensitivity, variety of photo settings, picture quality, and battery life.

Im currently deployed right now so no hunting for me this year. I have a 30-06 and a 300wsm. I know both of those will do the trick just curious if the shotgun would work. I have a sportsmans warehouse about 5 miles from my house so whatever they carry or I can order them if need be.
    barber: A shotgun would certainly do the trick, but I would not necessarily jump to 3" slugs. Some of the 2 3/4" slugs shoot a heck of a lot more accurate than the 3". I've hunted whitetail where a slug gun was my only choice, but I would never give up the accuracy of a rifle for a slug gun. Especially if there is a chance I may run into a spot and stalk opportunity while I am out.
    In Iowa you can shoot a muzzle loader during shotgun season and I always shoot my muzzle loader instead of a shotgun. Simply because I can get more accuracy out of my muzzle loader.
    My 2 cents

Now the next question will be what type of stand should I get ladder, hanging, or climbing?
    I'd say it all depends! If you are hunting two stations I perfeer a climbing stand, that way I can use it for both stations. A ground blind in the right area works pretty good, but I like watching bears (it's most of the fun) and a ground blind limits your visibility. Once you have an established station a fixed stand seems to work the best.

Also where is the best place to get a couple barrels? I'd check with Jess over at 907bait'em she seems to be in the know on where you can pick up a barrel.

And one last question what is a good affordable trail cam?[/QUOTE] Not sure on that one. I use Cuddeback and they are great, but more expensive than some. U can find a good older version on Ebay if you take your time lookinf for them.

I used a shotgun/slugs for my bears...or my bow. But I always had the shotgun with me either way.
    Proud to be an American!

20Ga H&R single shot with 2 3/4" Lightfield sabot slug....one double lung shot=dead 250 lb black bear. A 12 ga will certainly do the deed.

The 20ga sabot slug puts out more energy and a bigger hole than a 44 Mag pistol and can be shot easily by most anyone. I'm a big fan of the 20ga sabot slug....125 yd range and a <6" group all day long. The little 20ga rifled 870 youth model is a really fine and handy gun.

Here's info from Chuck Hawks:
    The 20 gauge sabot bullet weighs 260 grains. It also has a MV of 1900 fps, and its velocity at 100 yards is given as 1615 fps. The ME is 2084 ft. lbs., and the remaining energy at 100 yards is 1506 ft. lbs. The trajectory of that load looks like this: +2.0" at 50 yards, +2.7" at 100 yards, and +/- 0" at 150 yards.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have no doubt that any well placed shotgun slug will put your black bear on the ground. I have shot dozens of whitetails with 16 & 20 ga shotguns. Out to 75 yards they are very impressive and farther with rifled bbl guns with sabot slugs. That said I would only caution that they are not likley to hold up to brown or grizz in the same way. Slugs are not well constructed and do not hold together against heavy bone and for deep penetration. You may want to spend some time comparing balistics of shotgun slugs and your trusty 300 wsm with Nosler Partitions. Good luck and I hope this post was helpful.

I like the 2 3/4" Remington Buckhammer in 1 1/4 oz. I get 3" three shot group offhand at fifty yards with them. Even with a rifle I like shots at 25 yards so there is no doubt the slug will do wonderfully
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Now to find a place to set up I am looking above trappers creek. Is there a decent amount of bears up there or do I need to go further north?

Now to find a place to set up I am looking above trappers creek. Is there a decent amount of bears up there or do I need to go further north?
    There are lots of bears out there. Start looking for potential areas (via google earth) that are more than a mile away from houses, seasonally occupied cabins, and more than 1/4 mile away from publicly maintained trails, highways, etc. If you can leave an ATV trail (or worn trail) right up to the station ... remember others will follow you and/or drive right up to it also ... and that may occur at times that may not be convenient. A stretch of marsh or rough terrain tends to dissuade most followers.

The snow leaves the area earlier on the Anchorage side of Trappers Creek... so lower might gain you an extra week or two of season.

According to google earth we have a couple spots picked out but now need to get back and physically go see them. Thanks for all the advice.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Next year I am thinking about using a bait barrel and was wondering if using my remington 870 with a rifled barrel for bears would be a good choice or should I stick with a rifle? If the shotgun will do well what slugs should I use its a 3" chamber.

heres one.. not over bait... just getting into stuffs...

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast