Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What treestands do you use?

Question What treestands do you use?

Just checking what tree stands everyone uses and why. I have a summit viper and love it I like the ability to climb easily with this stand and still have a bar in front of me when I get to the top. I turn a little so I can shoot my bow sitting down or standing. I'm looking for another stand or two to add to my collection so my hunting partners or kids can come along and watch, film or hunt. I have an old hang on but after I sat in it a while my a#$ was numb and I had to stand on a tiny platform to let my a34 get some blood back in it, my daughter was in my climber and was comfortable and smiling the whole time. I also have a ladder stand but I prefer a good climber or a nice hang on for myself and let my friends have the ladder cause it is easy for them to use. Looking for your experiences and suggestions. Thanks

Default API Grand Slam Magnum Extreme

I don't use a treestand when hunting in AK. The bear bait stand is a permanent one. However, when hunting here is North Dakota, West Virginia, or Ohio, I use this one (http://www.biggameproshop.com/apitreestands.htm). I picked it up at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, Missouri for 199.00. It's a little on the heavy side, but it has lots of room and is comfortable. It compacts tight for backpacking. I'm 220lbs, so I take up more room than the small climbers, but not all the room of the XL treestands.

I like it. It is heavy on long hike-ins, but if you aren't too far from the stand when you park, you won't notice it.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Talking I'm no light weight either

I weigh in at 260 and am 6'2" so I'm not exactly the small tree stand type.

Sumit Viper, That is the climber I use. Very comfortable and easy to set up. Comes with a full body harness. When I use to have to stay out all day in my tree stand without seeing to many deer. I would use my Tree Lounge, now if you want confort this is the tree stand for you. It is a little more complicated in setting up, I have an older tree lounge and it is alot heavier than the viper. I think they redisigned the tree lounge and it is lighter now. But I like the Viper for easy and comfort the best.

Default Many

I think I have six here. The large fixed Gorillas are the favorite bear stands. For portability I have a strap on Lem. I have a 2 climbers, a ladder stand, four home made fixed stands and 8-10 ladder stands somewhere in the woods back in NY too. My son and little brother use them.

My favorite is one of the climbers which I think is an API.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Tree Stand

I like the Lone Wolf. Light and versital.

Default tree stands

I have several that i use for all situations. If i have scouted the area real well and have some good trees available i use my summit viper... very comfortable and easy to use.250 bucks. If i want to have a semipermanent stand location then i use my rivers edge big foot hang on. its heavy 17#s i think but very stable and comfy.70-100 bucks. If i am venturing into new areas or want to hunt runways in the morning and be mobile then i use my aluminum gorilla hang on stand... 6#s and comfortable for 5-7 hrs. 75$. I also have several baby gorillas that i use if im not to concerned about getting ripped off. I usualy have 1 hang on a year stolen. 35-55 $ It sucks but thats the way it is. The thing i like about gorrillas is that they are inexpensive, easy to hang and have a comfortable pad that doesnt absorb water.
    bushwaker

Thumbs up Latter Stand

I use a 10' Foot Latter stand......
    Alaska

Default I have 2

A climber and a big foot fixed. Cant go wrong with either one. the one i take depends on the area, and the animal im going to take...and the hike. They are both heavy, and im not the slimest guy around.

Default Summit Razor

Got all types of hanging stands all over the north woods in MI, but I travel a lot and I almost always use the Summit Razor. http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...047&hasJS=true
    The model I have is a few years old, but the same basic design. It is sooooo comfy, I strap myself in real tight and have myself a nap right in the tree at times. The feature I like most is the stowaway rest in front. It can be stowed under the seat and out of the way or it can be positioned out as a bench rest for rifle. It is a little heavier, but I had no problem toting the 21# 5 miles in for whitetail hunts.

My next stand will probably be a Lone Wolf.

Only other thing I would make mention of is that I love the formed plastic footholds...they are waaaay better than the old ropes and strings that you had to struggle with.

summit broadhead backpacker , very nice light weight and easy to use. mine is bulky but new one folds flat very nice model. i have used both.
    tree lounger is my favorite, but it is the older one and heavy but very comfy for long hours in the stand.
    also have a ladder stand and hang-on one but they are just extras for people that hunt with me
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I use my 15' Rivers Edge ladder stand.

A question for the guys who use ladder stands.

How do you secure them in the field while you are not there? As in, to keep them from getting stolen, or do you? First year with a ladder stand and thought about using a chain to secure the upper portion and locking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

How do you secure them in the field while you are not there? As in, to keep them from getting stolen, or do you? First year with a ladder stand and thought about using a chain to secure the upper portion and locking it.
    I use logging chain and Master Locks to dissuade hot hands from my hanging stands. You've got to be pretty balzee to swipe a ladderstand. The ones I have used are a chore to put together and take down. I don't think anything will ward off the guys that really want one....Electric fencer?? Maybe

Default Lock and chain

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    I use logging chain and Master Locks to dissuade hot hands from my hanging stands. You've got to be pretty balzee to swipe a ladderstand. The ones I have used are a chore to put together and take down. I don't think anything will ward off the guys that really want one....Electric fencer?? Maybe
    Just remember locks only keep honest people honest. A thief will find a way if they want it bad enough.

Default Never worried

I live in Alaska, I shouldn't have to worry. ;D And I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Tree stand

Here's mine, hopfully my pic attaches
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Wink

Most of the time it"s hang on"s. Loc on lem, windwalker, because the trees in my neck of the woods that are straight are far and few. We also use ladders, and I have one summit razor, for trees that it can be used on. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Tree Lounge all the way

Default I use a Barcalounger...

but my other treestand is a Summit, I don't think it's a viper though...it's a climber too...haven't used it yet but will this hunting season...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast