Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California-compliant muzzle brake????

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default California-compliant muzzle brake????

While reading a magazine article this evening, I am led to believe that "Muzzle Brakes" are REQUIRED in California on hunting rifles.

I'm wondering WHY, something so damaging to the earballs would be "Required".

Banning Muzzle Brakes, I could believe.

Please, somebody, enlighten me on this.

Smitty of the North

[If you can only afford ONE dawgie, think how much you can save with NO dawgies.}
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Could you enlighten us as to the article or at least the magazine it was in so we could read it as well? I would be interested to see what they say.

EDIT: I just skimmed through the big game hunting regs for California and didn't see any mention of muzze brakes at all, much less a requirement to use them for all hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Could you enlighten us as to the article or at least the magazine it was in so we could read it as well? I would be interested to see what they say.
    It was a magazine called "Rifle Firepower", and it has a picture of the New Ruger American Rifle on the cover. I got it offa the magazine rack at Fred Meyers.

HOWEVER, the article about the M1A Hunter, doesn't tell any more than what I said.

"This rifle has a standard military flash hider attached , but a California-compliant muzzle brake is available."

And, under a picture, "Flash suppressors are mounted on the standard 22 inch barrel, Springfield also has muzzle brakes for states that require them on hunting rifles."

I'm at a loss.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It was a magazine called "Rifle Firepower", and it has a picture of the New Ruger American Rifle on the cover. I got it offa the magazine rack at Fred Meyers.

HOWEVER, the article about the M1A Hunter, doesn't tell any more than what I said.

"This rifle has a standard military flash hider attached , but a California-compliant muzzle brake is available."

And, under a picture, "Flash suppressors are mounted on the standard 22 inch barrel, Springfield also has muzzle brakes for states that require them on hunting rifles."

I'm at a loss.

Smitty of the North
    From that wording, it sounds more like they are just stating that they have a muzzle brake that is legal in california, not necessarily that muzzle brakes are required. It could just be that California limits the style or type of muzzle brake used for hunting, thus the one they supply "complies" with the regs. The follow up statement may not be specific to California, especially since they used the plural of "states".

I could be wrong, but that is just how I interpret that specific sentence.

Now ya got my curiosity up. Are there states that require muzzle brakes on hunting rifles? I swear, California gets craizer every day if that's possible.

Smitty, maybe thats to make the gun "Louder" so all them citified folks can tell the difference between a car backfire and a gunshot?

Ya gatta know when to duck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

It's because flash hiders cause cancer in California, so they will substitute a muzzle brake if shipping to CA.

California-compliant just means legal to own/buy,sell there and can be almost any item there now days.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
    Think this explains it if classed as a Assault Weapon (flash hider,threaded barrel for it and detachable mag) if hunting no threads with brake then detachable mags are ok. I think don't know CA is screwed up I don't live there or travel thru if I can help it.

Smitty it’s California, don’t heart ya head tryin to understand it. I got a sister that lives there and went over to cut some fire wood for her with my Stihll 038 many years ago, had to have it “inspected” by California Forestry. They declined it for not having a California compliant spark arrestor exhaust, same saw with same exhaust they sold all around the world including in Cali. There just ain’t no way to understand crazy till you go crazy yourself tryin!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I dunno. If I did, I wouldn't be asking, AND, I dunno if the Magazine mis-worded things. I don't know what the truth of the matter is, but I do know what it says in the article. In English.

The first quote mentions "California", and the second quote says "muzzle brakes for states that require them on hunting rifles."

That clearly states that muzzle brakes are required on hunting rifles in some states.

Read again.....

As to California, we can't escape them, any more that Sitting Bull, Red Cloud, Cochise, and Geronimo, could escape what happened to them, and theirs.

I'm not crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up,

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I dunno. If I did, I wouldn't be asking, AND, I dunno if the Magazine mis-worded things. I don't know what the truth of the matter is, but I do know what it says in the article. In English.

The first quote mentions "California", and the second quote says "muzzle brakes for states that require them on hunting rifles."

That clearly states that muzzle brakes are required on hunting rifles in some states.

Read again.....

As to California, we can't escape them, any more that Sitting Bull, Red Cloud, Cochise, and Geronimo, could escape what happened to them, and theirs.

I'm not crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up, crackin up,

Smitty of the North
    Again, in plain english, it is not saying that California requires muzzle brakes. Those are two separate statements.

Statement 1 - it has a California-compliant muzzle brake. This means that the muzzle brake that it has is legal in California, as opposed to some other types/brands/styles that might be illegal (note: muzzle brakes that act as flash suppressors are illegal in California).

Statement 2 - some states require muzzle brakes. This is not a California magazine, so they are just catering to the general reader with a more general statement.

Again, in plain english, it is not saying that California requires muzzle brakes. Those are two separate statements.

Statement 1 - it has a California-compliant muzzle brake. This means that the muzzle brake that it has is legal in California, as opposed to some other types/brands/styles that might be illegal (note: muzzle brakes that act as flash suppressors are illegal in California).

Statement 2 - some states require muzzle brakes. This is not a California magazine, so they are just catering to the general reader with a more general statement.
    NOPE.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

NOPE.

Smitty of the North
    Uh, yup.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

NOPE.

Smitty of the North
    Why do you say "nope"? What is wrong with what I typed? This isn't grade school where a "yes you did" - "no I didn't" - "yes you did" - "no I didn't" argument sufficies.

Maybe I can help, as I recently escaped Calif., and NO, I don't want to turn Ak in to Calif...lol.
    If I remember correctly, it is illegal to have a flash suppressor on a fire arm in Calif, but you can replace it with a device that could be classified as a muzzle brake, then making it legal.

That's how I understand that headline.

Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think I remember now,no bottom holes top only
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by windvane View Post
    Maybe I can help, as I recently escaped Calif., and NO, I don't want to turn Ak in to Calif...lol.
    If I remember correctly, it is illegal to have a flash suppressor on a fire arm in Calif, but you can replace it with a device that could be classified as a muzzle brake, then making it legal.

That's how I understand that headline.

Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    OK, that sounds like a possible explanation, of sorts.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

"Flash suppressors are mounted on the standard 22 inch barrel, Springfield also has muzzle brakes for states that require them on hunting rifles."
    The key is the phrase "hunting rifle". There are some states where a muzzle brake is legal for hunting but a flash suppressor is not. In order for the rifle to be considered a "hunting rifle" they offer a brake instead of the flash suppressor. The flash suppressor equipped rifle may still be legal to own in those states while being illegal to hunt with.

Why do you say "nope"? What is wrong with what I typed? This isn't grade school where a "yes you did" - "no I didn't" - "yes you did" - "no I didn't" argument sufficies.
    Sorry I got busy.

Shucky Gee. How was I to know you were gonna get all upset? There's really, no reason to.

I'm saying, "Nope", that's NOT what was said. In fact, it's not even CLOSE.

We had both stated our beliefs, and there was no point in belaboring it. I said "Nope" to indicate that I don't agree with your interpretation.

"Nope", means NO. I thot ever body noo thet.

Have you read any good books lately?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast