Thread: 44mag vs 10mm for BLACK bear defense?

Default 44mag vs 10mm for BLACK bear defense?

I've done tons of reading up on this but I wanted to put a different perspective on it. I am looking for a fairly light weight gun for BLACK bear defense while hiking. NO GRIZZLYS. I dont think it is debatable which round would work better, the .44.

So I was thinking the Taurus 444 or the S&W329, both light weight .44. The max recommended load for the Taurus is 240 Grain but most recommend 220. I have never owned a Taurus, but my friend is a huge gun collector and has had problems with numerous Taurus guns which makes me nervous. I will not use this gun for a range gun at all. So that leaves the S&W but that thing is over 900.00 which means I would need to sell a gun to get this gun and I really dont want to do that but I was convinced I needed to.

Then I thought, maybe a 10mm Glock would work. I did some research and some say a 10mm will kill a BLACK bear and others say file off the front site, yeah you know the joke. I thought screw it, I'll just go with a .44

Then I started thinking, I dont think I am going to hit much in quick developing situation like that with using double action which means I have to cock it. That can slow things down. Then, my follow up shot, it would take a bit because of the recoil of a light 44 and I would have to yet cock it again. If I were hunting with this gun, sure, cocking it would be no big deal but not in a crisis.

SO then I was thinking, with the Glock 10mm, the trigger pull is nice and I can double tap fairly fast. Lets face it, you're not getting but 1-2 shots at a bear if you have to use a gun but with a 10mm, that might be 2-4 instead of 1-2 shots. Then, I dont care what caliber you use, its all about shot placement. I feel like shot placement would be better with the Glock for the reasons stated above. I have shot many many Deer with high cal rifles and they still run off so anything but a head shot and the **** bear will still probably be charging.

So the question is, will a 10mm penetrate a bear skull? If it will, I feel like while its not better than a 44, but more practical in just about every way.

FYI, I do have and carry bear spray and that would be my obvious first choice. THere several situations though wher e bear spray is not the correct answer like if you were in a tent and u got attacked (happened 3 times last year along in Colorado in the middle of the night) or if the wind is blowing in your face, dont want to spray myself which would make things worse. Or if you didnt see the bear or mountain lion coming and he was already on you, good luck with that spray!

So what do you guys think? Will the 10mm penetrate a bear skull? Double tab 10mm ammo says its over 1200fps with a 200gr bullet, sounds like it would.

Why do we have to go thru this again.... Buy either one. Buy a .22. If your that worried about the bullet going thru skull.. You be lucky enuff to hit the bear in the head. So just go out and buy 460 and call it good. if bullet don't hit the bear muzzle blast will scare all around.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Why do we have to go thru this again.... Buy either one. Buy a .22. If your that worried about the bullet going thru skull.. You be lucky enuff to hit the bear in the head. So just go out and buy 460 and call it good. if bullet don't hit the bear muzzle blast will scare all around.

Just trying to get some opinions or experiences with a 10mm. I am sorry I troubled ya but again, you didnt have to click on the thread!

With a properly constructed bullet, a 200 gr 10mm at 1200 fps should penetrate a black bear completely through head, neck, shoulders, whatever. Use a hardcast flat nose for the best penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
    Just trying to get some opinions or experiences with a 10mm. I am sorry I troubled ya but again, you didnt have to click on the thread!
    What Mike was getting at is that we cover this exact topic at least once every two months. There are several people on the board that hunt black bears with 10mm and have killed more than a few with it. The 10mm does kill black bears, it's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What Mike was getting at is that we cover this exact topic at least once every two months. There are several people on the board that hunt black bears with 10mm and have killed more than a few with it. The 10mm does kill black bears, it's a fact.
    Thanks exactly what I was looking for guys, thank you very much and sorry for asking a question that has been asked before.

Thanks exactly what I was looking for guys, thank you very much and sorry for asking a question that has been asked before.
    No problem and welcome to the forum! There is a ton of info stuffed into this site and unfortunately the search feature is not the greatest but it does an ok job of finding relevant info and is worth trying out to find info that has already been covered.

Ditto what LuJon said. Welcome to the forums! No need to aplogize, ask away! If someone doesn't like that you asked a question that's their problem.

Regarding the 10mm and other guns used for bear the type of bullet is a major factor.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Yup 10mm will be just fine for blacks, Doubletap 200g cast WFN is great stuff for your needs.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If the bear is close enough for spay you should be already shooting JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Parks71 us the search and you'll find all kinds of info on which cal. For bear protection. Mike
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

Whew, you saved me the hassel of posting pics of 10mm bears! Yes it works. Like stated above, use hardcast with a wide nose. So you think brown bears don't hang in the same area as blacks? Where you gonna be going?

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Whew, you saved me the hassel of posting pics of 10mm bears! Yes it works. Like stated above, use hardcast with a wide nose. So you think brown bears don't hang in the same area as blacks? Where you gonna be going?

I just moved to Colorado so I will be doing lots of hiking here. Some day trips, some for several nights. I hike 2-4 days a week since I only work 3 days a week. So I will be out there a lot.

Your best, quickest, and certainly easiest way to search this site is go to google and type in "outdoorsdirectory" , without the marks of course, followed by whatever you are looking for. It works for me.

Welcome to the site. It is a great one.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Yep 10mm will do the job with the right bullet. But also consider that if using the gun as purely defensive then the ranges are very close and also in the adrenalin rush you will not notice the weight of an [8 or 10#] DA trigger pull of a wheel gun. The advantage of a wheel gun is that if you are really up close and personal it will still go bang if stuffed in the bears fur.
    Why the limit on 240Gr bullets for the Taurus 444? Even the Tracker (short cylinder) can run 300Gr of the right shape and load.

A canadian just got attacked by a Black Bear. He was pooping in his outhouse, when Mr. Bear came, bit onto his, pants, and expedited the crap out of em.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...n-outhouse.cbc

just get a desert eagle and a .50ae and start blasting!
    Semper Fi!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Ditto what LuJon said. Welcome to the forums! No need to aplogize, ask away! If someone doesn't like that you asked a question that's their problem.

Regarding the 10mm and other guns used for bear the type of bullet is a major factor.
    Parks71:

I'm glad Snyd, said what he said:

It's not a dumb question. I enjoy the subject every time it comes up. And, my opinions and practices have changed from what I've read.

If you have no Brown/Grizzly bears down there, just Blackies and Cougars, and Crazies, a 357 is plenty gun, IMO. But not in some Lil Bitty Snubbie, revolver, but something substantial enough that shooting Double Action, or Single Action, you can recover quickly from the recoil. And, most important of all, that you can shoot accurately.

Using Hard Cast bullets, of course.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.