Thread: Glacier Bear?

Default Glacier Bear?

Gary shot this bear while out of Whittier. Who knows about Glacier Bears?

Bear.jpg

I believe F&G will count it as one but hard to tell without seeing the color through out the hide. Very nice coloring on the head and should be great eating.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Some black bears carry the trait for the glacier bear phase. I have seen a sow with a black cub and a glacier cub, unfortunately the sow got shot getting into someone’s garbage. Looks like that one could be expressing the glacier bear trait a little, or he is just going through middle age

Cool coloring either way!

Congrats on a beautiful bear! Even if it turns out not to be a "true" glacier bear, the head looks gorgeous and uniquely colored. Take good care of the hide, as it's a fairly rare color phase, and usually only found in SE Alaska. I'd definitely pick a mount pose that will accentuate the coloration. Again...congratulations!

The only one I've ever seen was out just past Tee Harbor. That was last century. It was right along the highway. Full gray/silver hide - not just a skull patch.

In reading reports on steelhead fishing at the Situk river in Yakutat I cam across this report.....Sharing a report on steelhead and a glacier bear sighting. Pretty awesome pics. I was there about a week later but didn't see any bears at all.

http://www.hobofishing.com/?page=2