Thread: looking for advise

Default looking for advise

hi names Jon look to gain a little knowledg. i am a soldier that has just been assigned to jber ak back in july 2011 and deployed right away. wasnt able to get any hunting or fishing in, and looking to be comin back around sept to nov time frame of 2012. as soon as i get home im really wanting to get out and go hunting. looking to just go out have fun bag a nice animal with the wife. wife is missing hunting and so am i. just looking for a little info to maybe put us on some caribou or black tail cause moose will be out of season. really do appreciate your time.
    thanks
    jon

John, I've been in your position (AF). Coming back Sept to Nov time frame leaves a lot of different ooption and conditions. Snow towards the end of Nov and other weather conditions may restrict what can be done then. If you cme back early Sept then options are a little more open. PWS deer will be open but getting there requires a boat and or flight but seas are usually pretty rough that time of year in my limited experience. What do you have for transportation? Are you archery certified? When ever you can narrow it down to timing will help.

im (Active Army) my transportation i have my f250 with a 6" lift and some real nobby tire that can go anywere. and whatever i can rent from the outdoor rec. i use to have a 30' camper but my wife sold it right before i left so i dont have it anymore. no not much into archery much anymore but was thinking about getting back into it with a buddy maybe next year. they are telling us sep to beginning nov but my orders are saying end of oct but you know how things go with deployment orders.

Thanks for your service Jon! If you come back the end of September, most of the air taxis are shutting down on the caribou hunts, so you would have to find something road accessible (a tough way to go). PWS deer took a hammering this winter, and generally are tough to hunt before there is some snow - although you can always climb for them, but the ground is steep and slick as snot. I don't imagine that is the type of hunt you want to take your sweetie on. I would recommend a hunt out of one of the public use cabins on Kodiak or Southeast for deer in mid-October. The weather is still pretty nice and you will have to work for your deer more than you would later in the season, but the short days and crap weather might cut into your hunt if you go later. Kodiak has the goat/fox option and Southeast has the goat/black bear option, plus waterfowl in both areas. If you stashed a little combat pay, you might want to think about a boat hunt in Kodiak or Southeast. No tents, or over-hunted public cabins, mobility, crab, halibut and cohos, ducks and geese, no hauling firewood or water and no bears eating your deer. But I'm a boat guy, so that is always my preference. Good luck and thanks again!

thanks u for your support! i might have to do that. that sounds fun. i would enjoy it and im prity sure the wife would to but her dream animal is a caribou. while ill take what i can get you know im not pick i just enjoy hunting. not very big on trophy animals iether not saying would look great on the wall you know but i always say " cant eat bone you know" i think when it gets closer to getting home ill see about getting up with you or if you know some someone that is faily inexpencive i can talk to i might do that just go ahead and get out and bag something before it gets to late or close to the holidays. thanks again and ill try and keep intouch with you.
    jon