Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: Lets do away with our 3rd calls Physical exam. Yeah!

  1. #1
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default Lets do away with our 3rd calls Physical exam. Yeah!

    Contact the FAA and our Legislators..

    http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2012-0350-0001

    I support the AOPA/EAA Medical Exemption request.

    “Estimates suggest that as much as $700 billion a year in healthcare costs do not improve health outcomes. They occur because we pay for more care rather than better care. We need to be moving towards a system in which doctors and hospitals have incentives to provide the care that makes you better, rather than the care that just results in more tests and more days in [the] hospital.” — Peter Orszag, director of the White House Office of Management and
    Budget, May 2009 interview with NPR

    The measure should be expanded to include all part 91 flights. The third class medical is a good example of waste in the health care system. The third class medical has a high cost with minimal health benefit.


    RR

  2. #2
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Hmm, there I was on a hot street corner (33C) in Bolzano Italy, when thoughts of FAA regs started to creep into my head.....
    But I ordered another beer and vanquished those thoughts. At least until next week..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  3. #3
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Hmm, there I was on a hot street corner (33C) in Bolzano Italy, when thoughts of FAA regs started to creep into my head.....
    But I ordered another beer and vanquished those thoughts. At least until next week..
    Ha thats looks great FP. Good for you and the DW. Love the background too!.

    You look like some secret op in disguise ha!.

    Be glad your not here for the Mem Day rush.....

    RR

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Hmm, there I was on a hot street corner (33C) in Bolzano Italy, when thoughts of FAA regs started to creep into my head.....
    But I ordered another beer and vanquished those thoughts. At least until next week..
    Way cool! Bolzano is one of my favorite towns. If only I spoke German!

    If the farmer's market is going it's worth a stroll through. Have fun!!!!

  5. #5
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Way cool! Bolzano is one of my favorite towns. If only I spoke German!
    PID,

    German?......No savvy .

    RR

  6. #6
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Rocket: Heading back now...
    This was the first time I have been to Bolzano (the German speaking population calls it Bozen) Everyone speaks German and Italian. Plus lots speak English. Bicycles all over the place. Plus 4 or 5 cable gondola cars that take you up to the villages in the mountains all around the city. The cherry trees already had ripe cherries on the sunny side of the trees.

    Mr Pid. We lived off the street market stalls. It was the only way to be able to afford eating for an extended stay. Iron Inge and I stayed at a little hotel just out of town on a hill-side surround by grape vines. The HOTEL HANNEY... Very nice, very quite, and very affordable at 120 euros a night. Not bad for a 3-4 star hotel. They had super breakfast every morning at their restaurant. Their apple strudel is very close to heavenly...

    It was a drag having to drive back north into Germany to make the in-laws happy.
    I tried to get in some glider flying, but the places in Germany (Franconia region) were all booked up , when I had open time. I tied it in Austria, but being in between a bunch of tall mountains, with cable cars all over the place,,, was not all that relaxing...

    Now I have to annual my darn plane, renew my second class medical, and get into gear for flying season. I am having a hard time getting excited about it....

    Here was the view from the bed in the morning....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  7. #7
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Wow FP I'm all so envious. I've never been outside cept to the US and Canada. Just a night in Mexico.

    I've heard the light in Italy there is diff then the US..Is that true...?

    Also, whats there opinion of Americans.

    RR

  8. #8
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    It did seem different for some reason...Maybe because of the heat and humidity,,,,Maybe the pollen. It smells like flowers all the time.

    I do not know if they like Americans, having never been one,,,, But they seem to like Alaskans just fine....


    They are much more relaxed about BS laws and rules compared to the Germans. Who are downright anal...
    The regs might be on the books,,, but they do not get excited about it.

    I drove the wrong way on a one-way street and darn near smacked a parked police car. They asked me if I was drunk and I told them that I was just stupid. They thought that was funny and we talked about Alaska for awhile and then we all went and had ice-cream.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  9. #9
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    FP as I've said......you need to do standup Ha!.

    Yep...I just did my medical. U have to fill out an annal report online(mandatory starting in Oct) every hospital stay, dr visit all drugs u use or ever have used etc etc.

    In 2010 I had the medical and got 'er done that day. This time I had to take a EKG test and another blood test. I had just had a physical 2-3 months earlier and all was well..

    So the Dr wldnt approve it and said the AK ME guy, a Dr Simmons, wanted all the info sent to him. So I call him up yesterday..He said the approval in 2010 was done wrong and all will be reviewed by him and staff etc etc. Talk about annal huh?

    Any of you guys with any probs better get it straight before you go.

    I'm sick of the hegemony the FAA has over us GA folk. It is indeed annal and a flagrant abuse of our tax dollars.

    BEc of this BS I'm seriously considering selling the 180 and getting an LSA I can fly heavy. Just too many jacka__es wanting to control our lives.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    The electronic medical form is the exact same 8500-8 that we've always had to fill out in the office except now its paperless. Its better as far as I'm concerned. Anyone with a good handle on their own health should be able to navigate the aeromedical system easily. If you have special conditions its easier to address them before the flight physical than after. If you approach your flight physical unprepared the only one to blame is you.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    FP as I've said......you need to do standup Ha!.

    Yep...I just did my medical. U have to fill out an annal report online(mandatory starting in Oct) every hospital stay, dr visit all drugs u use or ever have used etc etc.

    In 2010 I had the medical and got 'er done that day. This time I had to take a EKG test and another blood test. I had just had a physical 2-3 months earlier and all was well..

    So the Dr wldnt approve it and said the AK ME guy, a Dr Simmons, wanted all the info sent to him. So I call him up yesterday..He said the approval in 2010 was done wrong and all will be reviewed by him and staff etc etc. Talk about annal huh?

    Any of you guys with any probs better get it straight before you go.

    I'm sick of the hegemony the FAA has over us GA folk. It is indeed annal and a flagrant abuse of our tax dollars.

    BEc of this BS I'm seriously considering selling the 180 and getting an LSA I can fly heavy. Just too many jacka__es wanting to control our lives.
    Is a EKG and blood test routine now even with no medical history?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Not unless you have medical history to require them, which was exactly my point. Nothing about the aeromedical process has changed other then the 8500-8 form going paperless.

    I got my 3rd class special issuance medical reissued a couple of weeks ago. I sat in the waiting room with a two guys getting their 1st class special issuance medicals reissued. We all had the stuff we needed and all walked out with med certs in hand. There's nothing difficult about it.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Hmm, there I was on a hot street corner (33C) in Bolzano Italy, when thoughts of FAA regs started to creep into my head.....
    But I ordered another beer and vanquished those thoughts. At least until next week..
    Hey Float Pilot - - - didn't know you were such a handsome young feller !!!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Not unless you have medical history to require them, which was exactly my point. Nothing about the aeromedical process has changed other then the 8500-8 form going paperless.

    I got my 3rd class special issuance medical reissued a couple of weeks ago. I sat in the waiting room with a two guys getting their 1st class special issuance medicals reissued. We all had the stuff we needed and all walked out with med certs in hand. There's nothing difficult about it.
    As usual, Mr. Pid is absolutely right. My 2011 medical was a pain, since I had earlier been taking Coumadin (Warfarin) and the FAA's Doc Simmons doesn't line that stuff. Broke that off, and my Primary Care Physician (V.A Medical) wrote a note saying I was no longer taking it. Took almost four months to jump through all the hoops. This year, I had all the information that the AME required, and I walked in and out the same morning, Class II Medical in hand. So - - - just go prepared !!!

  15. #15
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Back home now... What is this white stuff in my lower meadow???

    I get a kick out of how different FAA medical examiners home in on certain things they like to play with.....

    For years I saw Doc Green up in Anchorage who pretty much was going to pass you as long as your check did not bounce.

    Then I went to a guy in Kenai who liked to play with toes. Every pilot that went to him said the same thing....

    Then I saw another guy in Soldotna who liked to fondle my un-mentionables so much that I thought we were going steady....Creepy

    Now I see another Doc in Soldotna who likes to make me balance on one foot and jump up and down. Walk on tip toes, walk on my heels and walk heel to toe....
    I have some old bullet wound scars and a couple surgery scars on my legs and spine. So for some reason he thinks he is making the skies safer if he has me do all sorts of field sobriety tests.

    I used to have a big mole on the back of my neck but one day he grabbed it with a pair of plyer looking tongs and then hacked the thing off with some scissors. Right in the middle of my flight physical.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  16. #16
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    The electronic medical form is the exact same 8500-8 that we've always had to fill out in the office except now its paperless. Its better as far as I'm concerned. Anyone with a good handle on their own health should be able to navigate the aeromedical system easily. If you have special conditions its easier to address them before the flight physical than after. If you approach your flight physical unprepared the only one to blame is you.
    Well I told that Mr Simmons I got my cert finished after the visit in 2010 and he said they, the people doing it in 2010, made a mistake. They didn't make a mistake. That's his way of justifying his bureaucratic annal attitude.

    IN 2010 they saw I was in good health and on a drug I'm not taking now. Now that guy wants two diff drs tell him why I was put on the drug and why I was taken off.

    Our health aught to be OUR responsibility and not big brothers.

    Anyways, contact the FAA and our legislators and tell them you support using our own intelligence and common sense to handle our health.

    =====

    docket number FAA-2012-0350



    I fly my plane about ? hrs per year for pleasure.


    I support the AOPA/EAA Medical Exemption request.

    “Estimates suggest that as much as $700 billion a year in healthcare costs do not improve health outcomes. They occur because we pay for more care rather than better care. We need to be moving towards a system in which doctors and hospitals have incentives to provide the care that makes you better, rather than the care that just results in more tests and more days in [the] hospital.” — Peter Orszag, director of the White House Office of Management and
    Budget, May 2009 interview with NPR

    The measure should be expanded to include all part 91 flights. The third class medical is a good example of waste in the health care system. The third class medical has a high cost with minimal health benefit.

    I hope some of you an help save tax money and decrease the size of Government.

    RR

  17. #17
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Jim,

    Not sure about that. Maybe someone else will chime in.

    In my case a waste of money as I had just had a physical and all was well. Things change but I feel fine..

    RR

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Back home now... What is this white stuff in my lower meadow???

    I get a kick out of how different FAA medical examiners home in on certain things they like to play with.....

    For years I saw Doc Green up in Anchorage who pretty much was going to pass you as long as your check did not bounce.

    Then I went to a guy in Kenai who liked to play with toes. Every pilot that went to him said the same thing....

    Then I saw another guy in Soldotna who liked to fondle my un-mentionables so much that I thought we were going steady....Creepy

    Now I see another Doc in Soldotna who likes to make me balance on one foot and jump up and down. Walk on tip toes, walk on my heels and walk heel to toe....
    I have some old bullet wound scars and a couple surgery scars on my legs and spine. So for some reason he thinks he is making the skies safer if he has me do all sorts of field sobriety tests.

    I used to have a big mole on the back of my neck but one day he grabbed it with a pair of plyer looking tongs and then hacked the thing off with some scissors. Right in the middle of my flight physical.
    And you didn't deck the SOB right there on the spot? I rather liked ol' Doc O'Malley of Anchorage who would ask a guy to turn his head and cough. If his patient could do that, O'Malley would say, "You're good. They ship troops at Oh-nine hundred in the morning."

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Back home now... What is this white stuff in my lower meadow???

    I get a kick out of how different FAA medical examiners home in on certain things they like to play with.....

    For years I saw Doc Green up in Anchorage who pretty much was going to pass you as long as your check did not bounce.

    Then I went to a guy in Kenai who liked to play with toes. Every pilot that went to him said the same thing....

    Then I saw another guy in Soldotna who liked to fondle my un-mentionables so much that I thought we were going steady....Creepy

    Now I see another Doc in Soldotna who likes to make me balance on one foot and jump up and down. Walk on tip toes, walk on my heels and walk heel to toe....
    I have some old bullet wound scars and a couple surgery scars on my legs and spine. So for some reason he thinks he is making the skies safer if he has me do all sorts of field sobriety tests.

    I used to have a big mole on the back of my neck but one day he grabbed it with a pair of plyer looking tongs and then hacked the thing off with some scissors. Right in the middle of my flight physical.
    Doc Green is legendary. When I first started taking lessions at Merrill I asked my CFI about my medical and with out a seconds delay said Doc Green[or "old Doc Green" as he put it. I never saw Green but went to Liland[sp] Jones afew times and was in and out in jiffy. Problem is both are gone, my medical is expired and I am basicly picking out of the phone book. They can play with my toes all they want, I just don't want some super by the book hotshot.

    One of my CFI's [and later good friend] at take flight was someone a few of you may know, the late Dennis Safrantik. Though a mutual friend I knew for a fact he had had a heart attack yet he had a regular issue 2nd class. I think he simply never told the FAA about it.

  20. #20
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    And you didn't deck the SOB right there on the spot? I rather liked ol' Doc O'Malley of Anchorage who would ask a guy to turn his head and cough. If his patient could do that, O'Malley would say, "You're good. They ship troops at Oh-nine hundred in the morning."
    I used to go to an oldie also. Don Rogers. He was through. Yep he used the finger & we all hate that. Heard he was retired also.

    The two I've seen the last 2-yrs didn't do that. I like them Ha!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •