Thread: Swimmer tail cure

Default Swimmer tail cure

what can be done about swimmer tail? I work with a vet so I can prolly get just about any medicine for cows.

Is this a common problem?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I was at the vet last week and overheard a phone conversation about it. I had never heard of it before, but the lady there told them to just give the dog rest and pain medicine if the dog seems to be in severe pain. She said after not using the muscles all winter, they just get really sore those first few times out.

My lab got swimmers tail once after a chilly duck hunt with lots of long retrieves. The vet gave us some medicine for him and told us to give him some rest because it was obviously bothering him pretty bad. His tail swelled up pretty bad.

My lab gets it about every time we go sea duck hunting. She doesn't hardly get to swim at all so she is always not in shape for swimming. It looks painful. Poor droopy tail.......

What kind of pain medicine is okay to give dogs?

When I get back to town I will post up a natural anti inflammation supplement that works for cold water tail.
    I get mine from a guy down in WA.
    If you pretreat with the pills it reduces the reaction eliminating the need for pain meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    My lab gets it about every time we go sea duck hunting. She doesn't hardly get to swim at all so she is always not in shape for swimming. It looks painful. Poor droopy tail.......

What kind of pain medicine is okay to give dogs?
    asprin, 45-60 mg per 10 lbs. depending on how bad its in pain, always start with a low dosage.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

My dog got cold tail 2 weeks ago from cold water or overexertion. Went away after about 4 days.