Thread: How many are succesfull with one day or short weekend moose/caribou hunts

Default How many are succesfull with one day or short weekend moose/caribou hunts

Im Curious to see the pole of how many are succesfull conducting short weekend or even one day/after work evening hunts for caribou/moose. Im also curious to see how many people even bother with this type of hunting.

I started hunting up here four years ago, and started with all the weekend warrior stuff along with that. Bought a fourwheeler and took off towards palmer, sutton....Then i found some better areas out by Hope, and even Eureka. But i soon found out if you can get there on a wheeler and just do unplanned spontanious hunts....you end up finding a whole lot of people and a lot less wildlife. I am not saying you wont see any or you will only see people but it picks up if you can get there by wheeler.

After spending ample amounts of time and money in the woods away from family. My wife big handed me into doing longer trips, just fewer of them. So now i start planning about one year prior as to where i am going and what i am going after. once i figure that out, i plan plan plan plan for one week to ten day hunts. I have found i am more successful in seeing wildlife, and seeing less peolple when i do this method. Just my two sense, and good luck hunting......

Day hunts do work but how frequently are you going to have success depends Greatly on Where you go.

3 years ago I was working in the shop & said to heck with it on a nice sunny afternoon & jumped on the quad & took off.

1/2 hour later I killed a 36" moose.

But, that being said, I havent gotten a big one without putting on some miles & hours of glassing.

If I was coming from out of state I would plan ATLEAST a 2 week trip.

One thing that we that live here have as an advantage is we see where animals are hanging out before seasons start, & that helps on a short day hunt or spur of the moment meat hunt.

RJ Simington

I bother to 'Day Hunt' caribou 20-30 times a year, successfully, and a few times each year I go home with no Caribou, so I fill my sled with other animals or firewood, I wouldn't want to waste gas and go home with nothing........

I get even more Caribou when I go on extended hunts, but Moose I personally pass on as my own tastes dictate, and a lack of 'need'. Sometimes Ill catch a Moose on request, but its been awhile.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I've been here for 5 years. Took my first caribou on a day hunt, and my 48" moose on a weekend hunt...with the help of people who have been hunting here for 15+ years. Without them I wouldn't have been successful. Lucky and very grateful

I've been successful several times on day hunts. But where you go will have a lot to do with your success.

I actually prefer day hunts...BUT I can hunt relatively close to home in a pretty decent area.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Do what you can with the time you have. Obviously longer hunts are preferable, but I've taken plenty of animals on day, 2-day, and long weekend (3 day) hunts. I'd far rather spend longer time afield if for nothing other than the enjoyment of the experience, but when the weekend rolls around I'd rather be in the woods than sitting at home convincing myself that a weekend isn't enough. Heck, tomorrow afternoon I'm going out to look for black bear for about 8 hours. I probably won't get anything, but it'll be better to be in the mountains than here at home. I'd call that success.

Where I live most all game taken is day or hour a day hunting.If I had to travel I would want at least three days in the field
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

all we do is evening hunts pretty much, and we usualy get them, but we take the first legal one we see, mostly mid 30" 's and forked horns. but hey, a moose is a moose.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Due to my schedule(s) I usually hunt quick trips for moose. four hours or so. Since, I get to pick the spot, and I do the draw thing more and more, my success ratio is about 75%. For caribou I've been doing three day plus hunts, and I am still at 0%.

Chris

I do weekend Bou hunts on the haul road about 3 to 4 times a year, about 60% successful if I were to guess, I've taken a moose every year during 3 day weekends and even got lucky and did a successful 58 hour sheep hunt last fall including travel to and from Fairbanks. I much prefer to do longer hunts but I've not had a problem filling my freezers in weekend hunts.

I've done multiple day hunts for caribou and have been successful several times. I've also done after work moose hunts on the Tanana Flats successfully, and over the last few years it has just been weekend hunts and we've managed to get our moose. I've even done musk ox on Nunivak on a 36 hour round trip from Fairbanks. It's been a while since I've done an extended hunt, so I'd like to get back out and do that.