Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp pots on your boat

Default Shrimp pots on your boat

Troopers were out in Whittier this weekend giving quite a few tickets for "Class A Misdemeanors" for carrying too many shrimp pots.
    The regs say you can fish a maximum of five pots per vessel. The Troopers interpret this to mean you CANNOT carry any spares. You can only have five pots on board, period.

Just thought I would put this out there.

AK Chappy

yep...just five pots per vessel.
    And fill out your harvest before you come back or they will ticket for that.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Five pots per vessel. Pretty easy to understand.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Five pots per vessel. Pretty easy to understand.
    I agree with that!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

yup... got boarded and checked as we were loading up at the Paulson cabin, and got an atta-boy for having all my trips logged and everything up to date on the boat.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

I got checked on Sunday May 6th after I pulled the boat up the ramp. The trooper counted the pots, looked at the log and was gone... The rules are too easy to follow and clearly say 5 pots per boat.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Was checked on the water by Pigot and again at the Ramp by two different sets of Troopers...must be ramping up for the holiday weekend!!! The ones on the water were alot nicer then the guys on the ramp.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I got checked a couple weeks back at the ramp. It was raining, we had had a cold and wet weekend. We were tired and wet and just wanted to get home. The trooper was real nice and not bothersome at all. He did not thoroughly check my permit (didn't even take it out of the bag). He counted pots and said thanks...he did ask if all of us were on the boat (small zodiac) with all of the gear - I said yup........he kind of shook his head and went back to the dock.

I think that I am buying a little bit bigger aluminum boat today..........

Anyone want to buy a zodiac GRIII?

I understand the rgulations saying you may only fish 5 pots per boat. What I wonder is though is can one person transport more than 5 pots as long as they are not fishing them?
    I was thinking about this awhile back because several neighbor and family friends have property across the bay from Homer.
    One of them at one time had quite a large stack of commercial shrimp pots from back in the day as well as a couple of stacks of 6x6 tanner pots also from back when there was a commercial fishery for them. if he wanted to take them across the bay to sell them are you saying this could get him in trouble?
    I am sure there are also people in places like Seldovia and/or chenega who may wan't to pick up pots for themselves and others to use.
    For instance if Potbuilder had an order for 50 shrimp pots in Chenega are you saying it would be illegal to deliver them on his personal boat?
    This is more out of curiosity for me than anything as I currently have no reason to posses more than a legal limit of pots on my boat.
    I also understand this helps against pot thieves so we need them checking for this reason as well.
    But there are reasons for a person to be transporting(Not fishing) more than a legal limit of pots right?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm all about following the rules, but if I got a ticket for having more than 5 pots on my boat and NOT fishing them, I would have to fight that. I always carry extra rods in the boat, what is next, a ticket for having more than one rod each??? Hauling them and fishing them is two very different things.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I'm all about following the rules, but if I got a ticket for having more than 5 pots on my boat and NOT fishing them, I would have to fight that. I always carry extra rods in the boat, what is next, a ticket for having more than one rod each??? Hauling them and fishing them is two very different things.
    That's my point. There are circumstances where you may end up hauling extra pots.
    Perhaps a friends boat broke down or ran hard aground on shore cause he fell asleep at the helm.lol
    Granted in that scenario he would probably be there or have given you a signed permission letter.
    Anyway it is possible to be in that scenario with extra pots and not be fishing them.
    I too think you could win in court.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That's my point. There are circumstances where you may end up hauling extra pots.
    Perhaps a friends boat broke down or ran hard aground on shore cause he fell asleep at the helm.lol
    Granted in that scenario he would probably be there or have given you a signed permission letter.
    Anyway it is possible to be in that scenario with extra pots and not be fishing them.
    I too think you could win in court.
    Granted that you could find a situation where it would be convenient to carry a few extra pots on board for whatever reason, but I wouldn't take it to court. It would be just as easy to leave the extra pots till the next trip.

Even if I thought I could win the case, I'd rather be fishin than waste a day standing in a court room...but to each his own.

Too rough two weekends ago to pull my pots, so they've been soaking now for almost two weeks. I have a couple of extra pots at home I'd thought about putting on the boat in case I can't find one or more of my strings of pots. Then I'd be assured of at least having two pots I could shrimp with over the holiday weekend. But it sounds like I need to just throw them in the back of my pickup and leave them in the parking lot and can come back for them if I need them. I wonder if commercial shrimpers or crabbers are limited to how many pots they have on board. If they are, then I think that kind of tells me what my chances would be in court if I got a ticket and chose to contest it.

Commerical shrimpers in Prince William Sound can have 50 pots and no extras.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    You beat me to it. I do believe they area reading a little too much into the regs on this one. The citation won't hold in court.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I would call the judge in Cordova and ask her what is legal under the law. I do not think it is worth taking a chance on the advice given by some of the people on this site.

[QUOTE=captaindd;1125813]I would call the judge in Cordova and ask her what is legal under the law. I do not think it is worth taking a chance on the advice given by some of the people on this site.[/QUOT

What i've seen in the cordova court is "your guilty until proven innocent" would you like to go to trial? No? well when can you PAY! First thing to do is get any fish case transferred out of cordova.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Granted that you could find a situation where it would be convenient to carry a few extra pots on board for whatever reason, but I wouldn't take it to court. It would be just as easy to leave the extra pots till the next trip.

Even if I thought I could win the case, I'd rather be fishin than waste a day standing in a court room...but to each his own.
    You have a good point.
    Like I said I don't have reason to have excess gear on board just that it seems to me like the regs read you can only fish 5 pots per vessel. Not that you couldn't for some reason have an extra pot onboard.
    I wouldn't tempt fate if it were me but when they write that first ticket for just having the pot onboard it makes me think it wouldn't hold up.
    Counting pots onboard while you are at the dock does little to prove how many pots you were fishing.

The troopers have a boat based out of the Easter hatchery this summer and were all over the Port Wells area this past weekend. They were writing tickets for falure to log your catch immediatly after pulling pots, before leaving the area and before pulling heads. I didnt have any issues but according to them they had issued "mutiple tickets" for this over the weekend. Just an FYI.....

Quote Originally Posted by AKfishkiller View Post
    The troopers have a boat based out of the Easter hatchery this summer and were all over the Port Wells area this past weekend. They were writing tickets for falure to log your catch immediatly after pulling pots, before leaving the area and before pulling heads. I didnt have any issues but according to them they had issued "mutiple tickets" for this over the weekend. Just an FYI.....
    Next they will want folks to log in each pot as its hauled!! I wonder what their definition of "immediately" is?? Before leaving the area?? You pulled away from your gear after setting it back?? Based out of Ester? How they going to get to the boat? with another boat or waste money by flying in? I doubt they are living at the hatchry.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast