Thread: Hide thickness

Default Hide thickness

I have a goat hide that I want to get tanned. My concern is with the thickness of the hide itself. In some areas it is almost an inch thick! Not fat, not meat, but hide! Can this be tanned as is or does it need to be shaved thinner before tanning?

DO NOT do that part your self !!

We taxidermists & Tanneries have special machines that shave the skins thinner, But we ONLY start that shaving after it is in the pickle process.

Otherwise You will slip the fur.

Sometimes I shave a skin Several times as it soaks up the pickle to get it thin enough for mounting , Before moving that skin to the tan.

Depends on What animal & how dry & thick the skin was.

I tanned the Elephant cape that is mounted on my web site & it started off with places that were 4-5 inches thick, & after I was done tanning it , It was 1/4 inch thick & Very pliable for mounting.

I DO NOT recomend trying to Tan yourself.

I have been doing it myself for over 17 years & it is just plain too much work & you have to understand the ENTIRE process fully before attempting it.

Call me if you have any other questions & I will gladly talk with ya.

RJ Simington
    My Cell # 541 281 7201 Fairbanks

Thanks for the information. I in no way was going to attempt this myself. I was just curious if this is something that is done. I am in the process of finding a taxidermist now. And I just added a black bear hide last night. I was into getting it made into a rug, but I think the back legs were mistakenly cut wrong. So maybe just tanned.

we get miss cuts all the time.

Most of the time it can be fixed pretty easily.

Had anouther guy 3 years ago brought One bear in in 2 bags.

Head UNSKINNED & Cut off body in the other.

When we got it finished you couldnt tell at all.

Be sure to look at completed work that the taxidermist has & just a warning that the cheapest guy around is usually the least quality, or a problem to get your animal back on schedual or in some cases at all.

Good luck
    RJ Simington

Thanks for all of your help. At this time a rug is not in the budget. I am getting married in the fall, and that is taking most extra cash. I would however like to have the option to have a rug made in the future. At this point the hide is off the animal, the paws have been skinned to the toe, I have not however turned the lips, ears, tail, or split the nose. I rolled it up skin to skin and put it in a game bag and put it in a deep freezer. Should I leave it this way until I am ready to make a rug, or should I have it tanned right away? This was my first black bear, I am kind of bummed that i had some "miss cuts". I did get the head good though! Can you shoot me your pricing for these services? Thanks again for all of you info and help

As long as the head is rolled inside the skin it will keep for a year ( If you have an OLDer Freezer).

The new Frost free freezers will draw all the moisture out of the skin & start freezer burn in a very little time. ( Even just a couple months).

We are $1100. for a rug on a black Bear, That INCLUDES Skinning/Fleshing Fees, & any repairs that it needs, Tanning, ect..

We do take payments, & we are 6 months completion on rugs from the date of 1/2 down for deposit.

Just let us know when ya get ready to have him done.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

Thanks again, you have been great. I will definitely call you when I am ready to have him done. It is actually in a commercial walk in Freezer, not sure about frost on those.

I still have this goat hide. It has been in the freezer for 1.5 yrs now. Can it still be tanned? Or is it ruined? It does not include the head. It is going to be hung on the wall or hung on a chair.