Thread: Alaska Flies

Default Alaska Flies

Ok, given the fact the majority of fly fishing will be streamers or eggs it seems, is there any benefit to bringing the flies I use here in Colorado for trout. Size 16-24 for several of my boxes just don't seem to fit Alaska streams. Should I leave those boxes at home or would there be any use to stuff that small?

For trout and grayling I regularly go down to #16 in Adams, Para Adams, EHC and nymphs like PT and Beadhead Hares Ear. Every once in a while I 'll drop to 18's just cuzz, but it doesn't improve the catching.

When?
    If you have room, and time - might be fun to be surprised, eh? It's surprised me how often local fish (trout, salmon, grayling, dollies) will take other flies, nymphs, dries. I haven't fished small flies very much, but in 14 and larger, it can be fun.
    But I've fished Fall trout - when it was tough to get them to look at anything besides egg patterns, or flesh/streamers.
    Good luck.

I will be there first week of August. Will be fishing up the parks highway then down on the Kenai/Russian. Just worried about bringing a box of 1500 tiny flies if I don't need to. Will bring if you all think it could make a difference.

Several years ago on a no name creek on the Parks I was fishing with a friend two guides from Telkeetna were also fishing same no name creek and pound flesh for trout. Mean while I noticed several larger Bou's suspended in the middle of a fair amount of Salmon. After talking to the gents I asked if they had any dry flies one said yes and provided me with a size 14 Red Quill with exrta hackle. I know I know I getting there. Finally after I tie the darn thing on and oh BTW I had several I was just being an Ars one asked what I was going to do simple stated I said a trout is a trout is a trout. Took three cast and skating motion but I rose and landed a nice 26 inch class Bow in the middel of it all. Mind you the fish were not dropping eggs but previously the Kings had and they were taking flesh and egg but they also were that day taking dries! Bring Some just in case and one never knows what each adventure has in store. "True Story" honest.

Like that guy said, but hopefully easier to understand, bring size 12-16 dries and nymphs. They work. Like any other place, you have to experiment. Sometimes, during the flesh and egg season, dries or nymphs will kill it if you know how to fish them. For dies, bring EHC, adams, stimulators, and perhaps griffith's gnats. In the nymph category, pheasant tails, hare's ears, and pretty much anything bead head has a good chance. The main difference will be size. If you're used to 16-24, 12-16 will take some getting used to. Last year I hooked an 18-20 pound king on a size 16 pheasant tail. You just never know.

Sounds good. Will have to start tying those bigger nymph sizes.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I have had some funny looks when I have talked about size 20 and smaller in sportsman's warehouse and 3 rivers. One guy in three rivers said he fishes size 20 when cotton is falling from the cottonwood trees, but I think that is earlier in the summer than your trip.

I'd say bring a few small flies, but 1500 is a lot. Take a look the patterns on alaskaflyfish.net - there is a pretty good list of flies on there.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Hey I need a favor! Remind me not to work a 16 hour day then have a couple of beers and type a story out about fishing.

Thanks in advance. :-)

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Hey I need a favor! Remind me not to work a 16 hour day then have a couple of beers and type a story out about fishing.

Thanks in advance. :-)
    I wondered if you had some bad voice recognition software or something
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

i was wondering what was going on there bluemoose...kinda sounded like a late night campfire story after all the beer and liquor was gone.

Several head injuries when young, english was never a subject I took the time to master, my parents are good people but let me slack, and way to many beers in a given night compounded with the lack of sleep makes for good times. I wish I could blame the dog but as my lovely wife said after reading the post "Heck" the dog could have done a better job. I have come to realize she can be mean!!!!!

:-)