Thread: For Bushrat ~ Latest on the Wood Bison

Default For Bushrat ~ Latest on the Wood Bison

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
    News Release

USFWS Announces Reclassification of World Wood Bison Population

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will publish in the Federal Register tomorrow a Final Rule reclassifying the wood bison from endangered to threatened. The historical range of the wood bison encompassed a large area of Alaska, but at present, free-ranging wood bison occur only in Canada. Wood bison were previously listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (ESA). A proposed rule was published in the Federal Register in February 2011 to reclassify the species as threatened. Tomorrow’s publication of the Final Rule completes this reclassification process. The Final Rule will take effect 30 days after publication.

There are two closely related subspecies of bison; the wood bison and plains bison. Physical and genetic differences distinguish the two subspecies. The wood bison is the largest living, native terrestrial mammal in North America. The average weight of mature males is approximately 1 ton (2,000 pounds). A wood bison has a large triangular head, a thin beard and rudimentary throat mane, and a poorly-demarcated cape. The highest point of the hump of these animals is forward of their front legs; they have reduced chaps on their front legs, and their horns usually extend above the hair on their head. In contrast, the plains bison, the wood bison’s closest relative, has a thick beard and full throat mane and well-developed chaps. The highest point of the hump is over the front legs and horns rarely extend above their bonnet of dense, curly hair. Plains bison are smaller and lighter in color than wood bison.
    Historically, the range of the wood bison was generally north of that occupied by the plains bison, and included most boreal regions of northern Alberta; northeastern British Columbia; a small portion of northwestern Saskatchewan; the western Northwest Territories south and west of Great Slave Lake; the Mackenzie River Valley; most of The Yukon Territory; and much of interior Alaska. Currently, there are no wild free-ranging populations in Alaska.

Canada has their own version of an endangered species act called Species at Risk Act (SARA). Canada reclassified wood bison from endangered to threatened in 1988. Recovery actions have greatly increased the number of herds and animals in Canada. However, because threats still remain, primarily from disease, loss of habitat, and hybridization with plains bison, the species remains listed as threatened in Canada. Our classification of wood bison under the ESA has no bearing on how Canada manages their animals or the decisions they make on classification.

The Endangered Species Act (ESA) requires the Service to list species as endangered or threatened regardless of which country the species lives in. Benefits to foreign species include prohibitions on certain activities; including import, export, take, commercial activity, interstate commerce, and foreign commerce. By regulating activities, the United States ensures that people under the jurisdiction of the United States do not contribute to the further decline of listed species. Although the ESA’s prohibitions regarding listed species apply only to people subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, the ESA can generate conservation benefits such as increased awareness of listed species, research efforts to address conservation needs, or funding for in-situ conservation of the species in its range countries.

The Final rule may be viewed in the Federal Register tomorrow at http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/ Docket No. FWS–R9–IA–2008–0123. The public may also obtain a copy at the Anchorage Regional Office, 1011 E. Tudor Road, Anchorage, Alaska, or by calling the Regional Office, (907) 786-3309, and requesting a copy. Additional information, including Q&As, can be found online at: http://alaska.fws.gov/fisheries/enda...wood_bison.htm.

The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals, and commitment to public service. For more information on our work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov. Connect with our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/usfws, follow our tweets at www.twitter.com/usfwshq, watch our YouTube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/usfws and download photos from our Flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/usfwshq

-FWS-
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Now what will happen.

Gunalchéesh
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Don't know Amigo, that's what I was hoping Mark would opine on.

Gunalchéesh áyá x’axwdataaní

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

When I got word about this a few weeks ago I wrote to Tom Seaton at ADFG to ask if this significantly changed things, and unfortunately word back was it does not.

For those who aren't aware of it, HJR 32 passed the House this past session, and after talking to Rep. Dick and others this spring in Juneau the takeaway I get is that the current admin and legislative body will not settle for anything less than a complete delisting of wood bison under the ESA. Of course the chances of the US Congress doing that are slim and none, so we appear to still be in limbo and not sure how much longer we can keep the bison at AWCC.

Very frustrating. Especially to those at ADFG who've put so much for so long into this. I don't really believe that under the 10j clause that would list them as experimental non-essential that we were going to see any of the lawsuits over oil and gas development the Native corps and the admin and many in legislature feared. Would be conservation milestone if we could get this started and get the bison out there, they really belong up on the Yukon Flats region which is where they'd do best.

So...sorry but no good news on wood bison restoration in Alaska over this delisting from endangered to threatened.

Thats a real shame.Condos, asphalt and drill baby drill is the cry of the people no days
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Thats a real shame.Condos, asphalt and drill baby drill is the cry of the people no days
    Is that the cry of the people, or the cry of a few idiot politicians in Juneau who need to be dope slapped?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The people keep putting them there. If money were not king to a very large number Anchorage would not be what it is today.On the moving to Alaska forum its about 95% Anchorage and burbs money the reason resources as side note.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The people keep putting them there. If money were not king to a very large number Anchorage would not be what it is today.On the moving to Alaska forum its about 95% Anchorage and burbs money the reason resources as side note.
    Roger that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Which one of you is planning on kidnapping a couple and letting them loose over on Pebble? :-)
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.