Thread: DIY arrow repairs

Default DIY arrow repairs

Hey all. I'm new to archery and am looking for some advice on do it yourself arrow repairs. I finally got brave enough to shoot at the 60 yard target and immediatly shot the fletching off one of my arrows. Is it worth trying to replace it yourself or is it better to take the arrow in? Thanks for the help.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

I shoot a lot and am always fixing fletching that comes off or is damaged. Get yourself a fletching jig, I use a Blitzenburger and fixing things like this is rather straight forward. Just clean the shaft of old adhesive, apply a LIGHT coat of new adhesive to your new fletching (vane or feather) and you're good to go. For years I used Bohning's Fletch-Tite glue but recently I've been using AAE Fastset glue. If you use the latter you can literally use the arrow again within 10 minutes or less. If I use the Fletch-Tite, I usually let it sit overnight.

Could always try FOBs. No fetching.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Easy to do yourself. For the field, I carry an Arizona EZ Fletch and superglue or Goat Tuff. If the fetching hasn't come completely off you can carefully re-glue it backin place for a temporary fix. The Bitz jigs are great for at home on the bench but are kinda spendy (~$100 ea) and you can only do one fletch at a time. The EZ fletch will let you do all three at once.

I have a Jo-Jan 6 arrow jig, five Bitz jigs, and two EZ Fletcher's and they all get used.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

whichever jig you decide to use, if you are using the fast set glues be very careful to not use too much as it will make a mess for you and just get you frustrated.. A very thin bead on the vane is all you will need

Look into the Arizona EZ fletch, it is all I use to fletch my own arrows. Super easy to use and puts a really nice right helical on my easton axis FMJ arrows. I haven't paid a shop to fletch or cut my arrows in awhile since I bought the EZ fletch and a weston arrow saw.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot myself. I'm going to be practicing a lot for the cert course so I'm sure it won't be the last time I need to repair something.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

BowAK you're welcome. Besides my comments, you've got some good advice. I agree with the poster who said that if you use the quick set adhesives, be careful when you apply it or you will have a mess, it only takes a little. Actually, this goes for all the adhesives. You can likely find the exact fletching at a local supplier or on-line, and if you like you can experiment with different size fletching too, in order to see what works best for you. Once you see how easy this is you may want to consider building your own arrows. It's the next logical step and is easy to do. Before I got my own arrow saw I would simply order cut shafts. Lots of good suppliers out there. If you want any additional help, please feel free to send me a PM @ ekberger@comcast.net.