Thread: Valdez Fishing

Default Valdez Fishing

I'm heading down to Valdez this weekend to fish for butt, rockfish and shrimp. I was just curious if anyone has gone out of that port yet this year and if anyone has had any success. I usually fish Valdez for the silvers during the women’s derby and have been out to Jacks and jigged for a bit. I have a 20 ft Hewes Sea Runner with a Yamaha 50 4 stroke. If anyone has any tips on where some rockfish might be hanging around or even halibut I would love the info. I have studied the charts and found some pinnacles but was hoping for some recent experiences. I do all of my halibut and rock fishing out of Homer and Deep Creek, I would be more than willing to swap info.

Thanks,

Corey

Sent you a pm

outdoor fanatic, mind pming me those spots? Trying to find some fish as well

Following this thread closely; headed to Valdez next week. Have 16' C-Dory w/45hp.
    Looking for someplace close to port, Galena Bay or closer, where we might find something edible, size doesn't matter.
    Have gone down for silvers for a few years, want to try a June fishing excursion.
    Thanks in advance, PM's welcome also !

Hey Wood,

I went out to Bligh reef and got a couple 40 lb pound halibut and a limits on rockfish. The weather was ideal so I was able to get out and back with no problem. Check the marine forecast and if it says 10kt winds and 2ft swell your golden. It doesn't get much better than that. I will send you a PM later.

thanks rusty, any info would be appreciated. after 57 years in fairbanks its time to try the saltwater out some. something different than chitina reds and salmon for a change. will be a learning experience for sure. thanks

by the way rustymonkey, thanks for the swapping info, i guess i learned my lesson. By the way i was able to catch plenty of fish out of Homer without your help. IN THE FUTURE WHEN YOU POST THAT YOU WILL SWAP INFO, THAT IS WHAT IT MEANS, NOT GET INFO FROM SOMEBODY AND NOT REPLY KINDA A D#$K MOVE!!!!!!!!!

I really do appreciate you giving me the info. I did send you a PM, not sure what happened. I would also appreciate you removing your post about the D#$K MOVE. I will re-send the original PM with all of the info I have. I have always been and will continue to be a respectable member on this forum. Please, in the future just send the person who told you they would swap info with you a quick PM if you did not receive it. Being on this site for 2 1/2 years and sharing information with its members, I can say that it is more than likely a problem with technology or a personal problem that has prevented the transfer of information. Everyone I have met on here is right on!

I am glad you were able to get some fish and have a good time!

Wood I cannot send you a PM yet. You are still kinda new and do not have that function yet. Any chance I can get an e-mail to send it to?

rusty , i sent you my email address in a pm last nite . if you could respond to my email that would be great . thanks again, wood

Bummer Wood I do not have it in my inbox??

bligh reef is the best place if you can get you boat out there

thanks cbalzar, we'll see what the weather brings us. headed down monday. this mooching,lead + circle hooks,jigging and anchoring up is all new. wondering how deep we need to be prepared to fish 100-200-300-400 ft ? not looking for any barn doors just some halibut or rock fish. thanks much for any and all info !

Ive had good luck at 35 fm... stay away from the Bays on the way out to Bligh theyre a waste of time to fish despite what others on the intranet say. Why would a halibut be in Sawmill or Jack Bay? There's nothing for them to eat in those Bays

Quote Originally Posted by cbalzar View Post
    Ive had good luck at 35 fm... stay away from the Bays on the way out to Bligh theyre a waste of time to fish despite what others on the intranet say. Why would a halibut be in Sawmill or Jack Bay? There's nothing for them to eat in those Bays
    Although I only shrimp that area and I fish further out I cant see why there wouldnt be fish there. There are a lot of shrimp and some crab in that area, not to mention the salmon hang out there for a bit before the push to Allison point so there is more than enough food to support them. Obviously the better fishing is further out but I wouldnt think twice about dropping a line there if weather kept me closer to the harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by cbalzar View Post
    Sounds like you've spent a lot of time on the bottom of sawmill and jack bay, taking count of food that halibut eat. Good for you.

The best places to fish for halibut are places everyone says that halibut ain't.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

thanks for the replys

The halibut go in and out of the Bays with the tides so timing is the most important factor. Commerical halibut fishing from Saw Mill Bay towards Buoey 9 producted lots of Halibit 30 to 40 pound class with several over 80 pounds. Lots of Sleeper sharks. The lines where at the 900ft depth.

thats interesting... is the commercial halibut fishing still going on? Ive never seen evidence of it. Just the seiners going after pinks and chum.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Sounds like you've spent a lot of time on the bottom of sawmill and jack bay, taking count of food that halibut eat. Good for you.

The best places to fish for halibut are places everyone says that halibut ain't.

Maybe thats why those bays suck because almost anytime someone with a less than oceanworthy boat asks where to halibut fish near valdez that is the classic internet answer