Thread: Trigger Job or Aftermarket?

Default Trigger Job or Aftermarket?

Recently bought a new Remington 700 in 257 weatherby, and I hate the trigger. I have backed it off as much as possible and it is still way too stiff. Should I have a trigger job performed on the factory x-mark pro trigger (where), or should I just buy an aftermarket (which one, and why)? Thanks for the help.

Jewell. The best that money can buy.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Jewell is great but pricey.

Brownell's has the Remington 700 trigger on sale right now for just over $100. I am sure about that because I ordered one this morning. The Jewell trigger was on sale but still $100 more than the Timney.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...MTI0NDYzNjI2S0
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Timney or Rifle Basix, both about the same $ both great units. I have RifleBasix on the shelf for 700s, sometimes install while you wait if things aren't too crazy busy.

I've installed a few Timney's in Rem 700's for friends. Easy install, easy adjustability, solid performance, fair price. I have not installed a Basix on a Remington based rifle.

I have a Timney in my Remington based 300RUM. I put a Rifle Basix in my Ruger Hawkeye after taking that Timney out, different system than the Remington and I preferred the Rifle Basix adjustability in the Ruger.

My custom long range rifle has a Jewel trigger on a Remington design. Very nice and extremely consistent. Measured with a digital scale it breaks within 1 ounce of it's set weight every time.

All three are very good triggers, the Jewel is King but 2-3 times the price depending on the store.

Since on the subject of modn 700's, have any of you installed a 3 position safety along with a trigger? If so, whom? Ive heard good things about Pacific Tool and Gauge. Also I was considering having the bolt worked and a 5 shot mag floor plate.

All for fun.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Rich Reilly in Colorado (High Tech Rifles I think) does a model 70 style safety that is the coolest installation / design I have EVER seen on any rifle anywhere, the one I am raving about was on a Model 700

I am not a "Remington man" but one of my best friends in the world is and demands a good trigger - He uses Jewells and I've shot many of his rifles many times, have to say that they are a remarkable piece of work - Expensive but you only have to pay in once per rifle so it's not so bad in MY eyes and you get to enjoy the trigger perfection for life (just wish Jewell hadn't quit the 10/22 triggers !!)