Thread: 180gr TSX vs 200gr Partition in 300 win mag

Default 180gr TSX vs 200gr Partition in 300 win mag

I have used the 180gr partitions in the past and was looking for something that shoots flat but will still penetrate enough for the odd angle shot. I'm trying to decide what bullet to shoot this year out of my 300 win mag. I am going to reload and can push both bullets at about the same speed. I will be using it for mainly moose, bear, and possibly carabou. What are your all oppinions on these two bullets.

200gr Partition all the way!

For a zillion years I have been a 200 partition fan. I have used them on game in the .308 win on up to the 30/378. That said I currently am having a affair with a 300 wby and have been using the 180 TSX. Holly hell do these shot weel and I am getting 150 fps more than the 200. The difference in BC plus the speed "seems" to make it easier to hit with. The tiny groups are giving me the confidence to hit with actually but don't tell.

I would use the one that shoots best as the are both the best bullets you can load, par none.

Default Which bullet

Either one will work well. I believe if all things were equal the 180 gr. Barnes X would out penetrate the 200 gr. Nosler Partition and would weigh more if recovered. I also believe either bullet will penetrate plenty far to kill any thing in Alaska. Less recoil and flatter trajectory with the 180 X. Untill the X bullets showed up I always felt the 200 gr. Nosler was the bullet to use for any .30 caliber magnum.

What Bighorn Hunter said...

"I would use the one that shoots best as they are both the best bullets you can load, par none."

I also agree that the TSX will out-penetrate the Partition virtually every time. I doubt if you'll recover many TSX's unless you shoot your animals end to end. So if you're dead set on maximum penetration, I'd lean toward the TSX.

There are other good bullets available also and some better for specialty purposes. For extreme long range shooting I'd select a 200 gr Accubond, due to a higher ballistic coefficient - which translates into higher retained velocity and less wind drift at long ranges. But for taking large game at 400-500 yds or less, either one of these should deliver the knockout punch and perform splendidly.

In theory the partition will probably make a bigger wound channel. TSXs are designed to open up a bit less than the partitions are able too. TSXs will probably have higher retained weight. I don't think you're giving up much by going with either.

Someone other than me once said the hardest choices are the ones made between roughly equal thing.

This is a little outside the conversation but don't overlook the Swift A-frame.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

I shoot a .300 Wty with both the 180 gr Barnes TSX and the 200 gr Nosler Partition. I don't think you can go wrong with either. So I can't give you a definate answer...........sorry! Both will kill anything you point them at pretty much dead!

- Clint

I'd go with the TSX myself and give the 168 grain TSX a try. I think that bullet (165-168 grain) is perfect for the .30 caliber.

Pick the most accurate one outta YOUR rifle.