Thread: 2 questions inside passage fishing

Default 2 questions inside passage fishing

In July for 3 weeks myself, wife and son will be doing a backpack, marine ferry DIY combination trip up or down the inside passage. Need recommendations for good charter that will net a lot of fish to ship back to 48. Also need advice on great shore fishing opportunities as we will be backpacking in combination with traveling the Marine Ferry. Trip in planning stages 3 weeks between Ketchican and Glacier Bay NP all suggestions appreciated thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by m_freeman View Post
    . . . that will net a lot of fish to ship back to 48
    When Lesser 48-ers talk about wanting big double hand fulls, my lips get pretty tight. Go to Jerry's Meats and Seafoods or SuperBear and buy all you want to take back home.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    When Lesser 48-ers talk about wanting big double hand fulls, my lips get pretty tight. Go to Jerry's Meats and Seafoods or SuperBear and buy all you want to take back home.
    this is why I like AK, a place where the average Joe still speaks their mind. Thanks, makes me even more determined to send back a freezer full.

If you come to Juneau, L.G. will take you snagging for Chums at DIPAC. You'll have that freezer filled in no time.

this is why I like AK, a place where the average Joe still speaks their mind. Thanks, makes me even more determined to send back a freezer full.

Since I don't know L.G. I sure can't speak for his or her "average Joe-ishness" but when people go fishing with me I sure try to make sure they'll be able to fill their freezer as much as possible. But maybe I'm not an average Joe. I think that's a big reason for going out with a charter. If a charter operator told me they WEREN'T going to try and get me as much fish as possible to ship home I'd definitely find someone else.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If you are going to Sitka, call Big Blue Charters. Mike and Karen run a great business and have killer boats. Been 6 years since I lived in Juneau, but Mike Bethers on the Silver King used to catch a lot of fish.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Mike Berbers sold his charter business a few years ago. Should be plenty of pink andhum around Juneau good coho fishing and a few hatchery kings.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    If you come to Juneau, L.G. will take you snagging for Chums at DIPAC. You'll have that freezer filled in no time.
    Now that I can do! Kings are just starting to show, but it's been a pretty slow May.

I've certainly helped a lot of folks out with hunting and fishing tips in the local area. Not like I'm out trying to score rep points. If you'd just asked where's a good place to fish, or who would you recommend for a charter. I know folks want to be sucessfull, but when you turn it into a sport-commercial endeavor . . . Knock yourself out.

Here in SE Alaska, probably your best bet is to target the Tiger Stripe variation of chum salmon that will be available in July. You'll know them when you see them - they have alternating purplish and yellowish stripes on their sides, and their heads are quite dark - sometimes even black looking. The males will have large, well-developed teeth, hence their nickname "Dog Salmon." They will be available in many streams along your route, and should be plentiful off the road system in Juneau. Amalga Harbor is a hot spot; so it Gastineau Channel. We consider these to be among the most highly valued fish for freezing and eating.