Thread: Bank Fishing from Seward and Homer-help!

Default Bank Fishing from Seward and Homer-help!

I will be in Seward for approx a week in mid July. For part of that time I will be staying at Orca's island cabins near Humpy's cove with kayaks available the other part of the week I will be staying at Angels rest cabins near lowell point. In Homer I will be staying for approx 3 days in a cabin on the beach.
    What types of lures/baits should I bring and what might I be able to catch? Any and all details would be greatly appreciated as I am having a hard time finding info.

Thanks!

It kind of depends on a number of variables. Are you planning on fishing just from the beach in each case? Or from the beach and then kayaks in Seward and then the beach in Homer? Or might you have a boat at your disposal at any time?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Fishing from beach in Seward, kayaks at Humpy's Cove in Seward, beach in Homer. No Boat.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lifes_a_trip13 View Post
    Fishing from beach in Seward, kayaks at Humpy's Cove in Seward, beach in Homer. No Boat.
    Thanks
    It's been quite a few years since I've fished Seward, so hopefully someone else will help you there. But if I remember correctly in mid-July you probably aren't going to find much in the way of fish from the beach. Silvers start heading into the inner reaches of the bay around then, but the heavy influx of fish usually isn't for another couple of weeks. Though you might find some out at Lowell Pt. though you're probably more likely to find them out around Humpy Cove then.

You might find silvers feeding around the outer part of Humpy. Try around the points at either side of the mouth of the bay and also along the stretch called "Iron Door" just north of the bay. The stretch to the south works well too, and if you can make it over there Fox Island gets good numbers of silvers, too. My favorite place to fish for silvers when they're in that close is the south face of Fox, but that might be a bit of a paddle in a kayak. To catch them just about any sort of flashy spoon or spinner will work. My absolute favorite "go to" spinner was one of the smaller Tee-Spoons in a "rainbow" finish. Herring works really well, too, but if you're staying out there you're probably not going to want to deal with herring.

You also might find some halibut hanging out on the bottom of Humpy Cove. I used to boat camp in Humpy and caught a halibut that went close to 70 lbs. on the south side of the Cove once. Once again herring is one of the best baits to use, but if you catch a salmon or two, parts of the salmon carcass would work well (be careful with using salmon because it's illegal to use anything but the fins, tail, head and viscera. The halibut we caught there was caught on a whole silver head. And if you don't want to deal with herring various jigs will work, too. A 16 oz. jig head with a nice curly tail attached would be a good bet.

In Homer there are a few options you could try. One would be to run up to Whiskey Gulch, just north of Anchor Pt. and fish from the beach there. You might pick up a halibut or possibly a feeder king or possibly a really early silver. For more information on that there are a number of threads on the forum and if you just do a search for "shore fishing homer" and you'll find plenty of info on what to use and how to do it.

Right in Homer off the end of the Spit to the left of Land's End you can fish for all sorts of bottom dwellers---small halibut, flounder, cod and various other fish. Small chunks of herring would work really well if you just let 'em soak on the bottom. It's a really popular spot to take kids because you're almost guaranteed to catch something. It might not be an overly desirable eating sort of fish, but it's great for kids and you might get lucky and catch some worthwhile fish.

And then there's the Fishing Hole (formally called The Nick Dudiak Fishing Lagoon - http://www.cityofhomer-ak.gov/recreation/fishing-lagoon) where you could catch a few silvers at that time of year. Check out the website for info on that.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by lifes_a_trip13 View Post
    I will be in Seward for approx a week in mid July. For part of that time I will be staying at Orca's island cabins near Humpy's cove with kayaks available the other part of the week I will be staying at Angels rest cabins near lowell point. In Homer I will be staying for approx 3 days in a cabin on the beach.
    What types of lures/baits should I bring and what might I be able to catch? Any and all details would be greatly appreciated as I am having a hard time finding info.

Thanks!
    If I were in your shoes I'd bring some of the chrome, chrome/blue and chrome/green crocodile spoons in whatever size is 4"around and some big jigs like Mutt said for bottom fish. The crocodile spoon will catch silvers, pinks and rockfish, the big Jig will work for halibut and cod.

You didn't ask but I'll tell you if I could only bring one rod for all that it would be the 9' extra heavy ugly stick "lite". I know it sounds roundabout but thats what its called. I have one that I spooled up with some 30lb. braid on a spinning reel and I can cast that thing a LONG ways. That would be helpfull if you end up beach casting from the spit or Lowel Point with that spoon.

Thanks so much for all the info, I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    If I were in your shoes I'd bring some of the chrome, chrome/blue and chrome/green crocodile spoons in whatever size is 4"around and some big jigs like Mutt said for bottom fish. The crocodile spoon will catch silvers, pinks and rockfish, the big Jig will work for halibut and cod.

You didn't ask but I'll tell you if I could only bring one rod for all that it would be the 9' extra heavy ugly stick "lite". I know it sounds roundabout but thats what its called. I have one that I spooled up with some 30lb. braid on a spinning reel and I can cast that thing a LONG ways. That would be helpfull if you end up beach casting from the spit or Lowel Point with that spoon.
    Coyotes are great, and I use Northern Kings, but I think a spoon's a spoon essentially. But always a good producer in lieu of bait.

And the Ugly Stiks can't be beat in my opinion. I use 7' Classic Ugly Stiks (med. action) casting rods and have caught 20 to 30 lb. halibut on them and a lot of kings as big as 30 pounds plus. You can't beat their performance to value ratio IMHO.