Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More outstanding press coverage of "hunters"

Default More outstanding press coverage of "hunters"

Here is some more great press coverage that surely helps our cause. I'm surprised we don't have more supporters these days. Wonder who the gem in the article is.....????

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ggers-protests

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,1909818.story

Which Gem? Your passive aggressive writing style leaves a little room for interpretation. Are you mad at the guy who broke no laws?

Congrats to the trapper. Not sure what the issue is. He was in a legal area, doing legal things. If we continue to allow more 'buffer zones' we won't be able to hunt or trap anywhere. Good thing fish aren't fluffy and cute like bears and wolves.... or we wouldn't be allowed to catch them either.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

What a joke. The left wing papers make this trapper sound like satan himself and people just eat it up. He was not breaking any laws so what is the problem. If we are not careful there is going to be a buffer zone around the buffer zone etc. Alaska will be a national park.

I like the spin on the story about how they just don't understand why the wolf population is declining in the park. If you've ever been in the park, what do you see? Mostly bears and wolves because those critters have eaten all the tasty moose and caribou. So, because of that, the population declines, and the animals left have to go further to find food. If NPS managed the park animals better, you'd see a lot more variety of animals. The whole story even being a story is incredible.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Its probably more about tourist dollars for the park than the wolf loss.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I like the spin on the story about how they just don't understand why the wolf population is declining in the park. If you've ever been in the park, what do you see? Mostly bears and wolves because those critters have eaten all the tasty moose and caribou. So, because of that, the population declines, and the animals left have to go further to find food. If NPS managed the park animals better, you'd see a lot more variety of animals. The whole story even being a story is incredible.
    What's this you speak of? Unmanaged wildlife?? Ohhh the horror!!

Soon the predator population will decline enough for the ungulate populations to rebound... then the predators will rebound.... the ungulates decline yet again....then the preds etc. etc. etc...... ohhhh noooooo what will we do to stop this senselessness???
    (where's that sarcasm font?)

Does anyone else find it odd that shooting the horse is no big deal?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

It's entertaining to see little Rickie Steiner, Alaska's "Jesse Jackson" for all environmental causes, pissed off and agitated.

Yup, congrats to the trapper on the LEGALLY trapped wolf on STATE land. Let the NPS cry wolf all they want...that area around stampede could use a few less wolves, lots of sign of them there.

I think the trappers should be legally able to auction off any radio collars ....

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

The coverage is pretty lame imo Earl. Once the buffer was removed this was what was going to happen, what always happened, wolves outside park boundaries would be trapped by some trappers. I don't have any problem with that at all.

Now the circumstances, use of a dead horse for bait, yeah probably doesn't come across in the best light to the general public, but so it goes.

I was at the BOG meeting that rescinded the buffer zone. It was a highly controversial deal of course, and was actually a fairly close vote. I recall that Spraker took a lot of heat afterward for not voting to rescind the buffer, and I guess what this all comes down to is what Spraker had alluded was the reason for his no vote...we (trappers/hunters) probably lose more in public perception down the line by removing the buffer zone, than we gain in allowing trapping etc, that when wolves are caught there as we all knew would happen it always causes a big stink. I don't at all disagree with that thinking, but on the other hand I can't disagree either with the other position either that NPS already has all that area, there is a boundary line and we can't keep extending boundaries into evermore buffer zones.

I think the NPS needs shock collars on these critters so they won't leave the park boundaries in the off season. NPS claims they want the natural process to take it's course. This hunter was part of the natural process and the reality of life and death in Alaska.
    The real farce is several years ago when they left an injured buffalo halfway submersed in a river in Yellowstone so as not to interfere with nature's process. The buffalo suffered in the river for several days with no one to put it out of it's misery. If they want to cry animal cruelty, we can begin right there.
    In addition, these wolves will recover or another pack will move in. It might take a few years to do either, but that is a natural process-it won't happen overnight.
    As for the hunter, he was legal. If we have a problem with his methods, let's go after the laws, not him.

Old horses, livestock, etc. Good idea in my mind. If someone isn't wanting to use the meat, or anything else off the animal, sounds like good bait to me.
    Hey...............could you do that for bear baiting??
    There is no where to hide from those who want to discredit consumptive wildlife use. Buffer zones will not protect us.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I recommend invisible fences and wireless shock collars. How dare they stray from the park; especially before tourist season!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Congrats to the trapper for successfully and legally trapping a couple of wolves.

I see Channel 2 News tried to stir things up last night. Little Ricky got his moment in the sun.

IMO - those wolf(s) are pretty ugly wearing those collars.

Kind of a bummer if the collared wolf(s) is their poster child for the park or are representative of the park wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I see Channel 2 News tried to stir things up last night. Little Ricky got his moment in the sun.
    Love the reader commentary on ADN as well.

Vile trappers!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Wonder if those are sat linked collars they use. Would be interesting if the morning driver meeting includes a check to see where the park wolves are at so they can show all the tourists.

I heard the quote on the news last night from Rick Steiner....something to the effect that trapping so close to the Park is like trapping right next to a zoo without fences..LOL.

What the heck does that mean? Is a zoo without fences still a zoo? Do we consider DNP to be a zoo? To me, that says alot about the mentality that Steiner and his ilk have.

I was saddened that this guy had enough pull to get this story in the media. I guess that it means that the media is supporting his agenda. Because as Mark said, it was NOT a news story, it was a given that it would happen when they removed the buffer (as they should have IMO)....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast