Thread: Cordova fishin'

Question Cordova fishin'

Looks like a sure thing that I'm spending the summer in Cordova working, so now I have to find some fishing. I know it's kind of all over the place there, so I'll narrow the search a bit:

It doesn't look like I'll have transportation, so within walking/biking distance of town would be good.

I'm not going to have space for much, so I'll be casually fishing for fun. Thought it would be cool to try to catch as many kinds of fish as possible while there. So, salmon, of course, are on the list. Cutts...check. What else is there? What about the salt? Any good spots to throw a hook for...whatever....there?

I definitely want to catch some cutts, but I'm not a fly-fisher. What would work on a small spinning rod?

There's probably already fish in the Eyak...is that pretty much a flossing fishery like anywhere else for sockeye?

So many questions....any tips/ideas/suggestions would be great!

Also, if anyone has ideas on how to score some cheap wheels to use on my days off, I'm all ears.....

The Eyak is a sloowww moving river except for below the weir, where it is "fly fishing only" and no detachable sinkers. As for cheap wheels, you are much better off finding it somewhere in Anchorage or the valley and take it on the ferry. Much like anything else, everything is a tad more pricey.
    As for other places to catch fish, Hartney Bay is fun for pinks and chums in July. Halibut can be caught from the City dock. One guy has got at least 10 this year by the fuel dock. 7 mile (Ibeck River) for pinks and dollies in July, and silvers later. Cuttys are in most ponds, but a little bit of a drive. I'm in Cordova a lot for work, let me know and I'll give you the fishing tour. Not much else, unless you feel like putting a hurt on the liver.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo2382 View Post
    The Eyak is a sloowww moving river except for below the weir, where it is "fly fishing only" and no detachable sinkers. As for cheap wheels, you are much better off finding it somewhere in Anchorage or the valley and take it on the ferry. Much like anything else, everything is a tad more pricey.
    As for other places to catch fish, Hartney Bay is fun for pinks and chums in July. Halibut can be caught from the City dock. One guy has got at least 10 this year by the fuel dock. 7 mile (Ibeck River) for pinks and dollies in July, and silvers later. Cuttys are in most ponds, but a little bit of a drive. I'm in Cordova a lot for work, let me know and I'll give you the fishing tour. Not much else, unless you feel like putting a hurt on the liver.
    Thanks for all the info! I may take you up on the fishing tour thing. I really have no idea how much free time I'm going to end up having, but I'm going to be there all summer, at least through August. Supposed to start work June 1st. I may PM you once I get a feel for my schedule.