Thread: question on buying a snowmachine

Default question on buying a snowmachine

I am looking at getting a 2012 Polaris 550 IQ shift, or a 2012 800 Switchback assault 144 Wondering if it's worth the extra money to get the switchback or just go with the more economy one. what are your thoughts on this? thanks for the responses!

It helps to know if you prefer riding trails or deep powder, what type of terrain, how often you ride, the type of riders you go out with, stuff like that. Without context, no one can really answer your question.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Also if you will be pulling a sled and what type of terrain a sled would be towed in. The machines have become so specialized and expensive that making a wrong decision really hurts. The mountain sleds just aren't the all around machines they used to be.

Well, if you're leaning towards a new Poo...split the difference and get the 600 Pro RMK. Then you get to spend next winter trying to wipe that silly grin off your face.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Well, if you're leaning towards a new Poo...split the difference and get the 600 Pro RMK. Then you get to spend next winter trying to wipe that silly grin off your face.
    I rode a 2012 600 RMK with a 144 track this winter. It was SWEET!!!

Generally speaking, a 600 is the best for power to weight ratio.

if you like to play much, you'll be disapointed with the 550F, i have a M8 and it can pull a loaded sled like crazy and i can play like crazy. i'm a fan of horsepower, i have a long track 550F as well but i'll always grab the M8. i'd say go for the power.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Don't try to combine work and play with an RMK. The new tunnels are not built for towing.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Don't try to combine work and play with an RMK. The new tunnels are not built for towing.
    That and the clutching on any of the newer mountain sleds just doesn't work well for towing. And I mean real towing. Fine if you're running down the denali hwy at 50 mph towing a slick sled but not banging down a rough track at 10 mph or less.

amen to that, the weight i've pulled has been just wind drifted denali why stuff and several hundred miles of trapline trails. sled is usually in the 200lbs to 150 gallons of fuel range, but i'm not hauling lumber up and down big hills or anything like that! i don't think i can even go 10mph!! 12 is about the lowest i can do!
    agree the mtn tunnels are getting lighter and lighter every year too! TWB has an RMK he'd know.

certianly not advocating the mtn sled as a utility sled, no where near the class of the skandics or bear cats. but the OP never really stated what he purpose was with the sled he was choosing...playing or pulling....if your playing, you can still pull enough to get your fuel to where you'll need to be is pretty much what i'm getting at.
    Master guide 212

RMK tunnels have been warrantied from buckling in factory form where the rear running board gusset mounts. I've beefed mine up substantially just I eliminate the possibility.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    but the OP never really stated what he purpose was with the sled he was choosing....
    Yeah you gotta love these threads where a newbie asks something, we all start discussing the topic with what little info the OP gives us, and they disappear never to be heard from again

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Yeah you gotta love these threads where a newbie asks something, we all start discussing the topic with what little info the OP gives us, and they disappear never to be heard from again
    Gotta fluff somehow!!

There's a huge difference between a 550 fan and an 800 liquid cooled motor. Since you've asked I assume you aren't very experienced at riding? The 800 will be what the performance-minded mountain guys will want. the 550 will be much more docile. Capable but not a fire breather. What you intend to do with it should determine the decision. If you're putzing up the rivers at 50mph? The 550 will serve you well. If you want to highmark and do stupid human tricks? The 800 will be the one. If you're firmly in the middle of those two categories? Look at a 600 class sled. If you're hung on Polaris the Pro RMK is a nice chassis. The Switchbacks use the Pro-R skid and don't give you any cargo space. Supposed to ride great but the carrying thing is a problem. To each their own. I prefer SkiDoo.

In regards to the 550F I've seen AkJeff throw one around a mountain like no ones business!!!! Even with the C130 ski skins!!

Quote Originally Posted by wikoffkb View Post
    I am looking at getting a 2012 Polaris 550 IQ shift, or a 2012 800 Switchback assault 144 Wondering if it's worth the extra money to get the switchback or just go with the more economy one. what are your thoughts on this? thanks for the responses!
    Why don't you get on here, and post some more details of what type of riding you do, what you do, and what you require of a machine? It's a waste of time to post two vague sentences.........and then not follow up when you're asking others to help you decide.

ya mainer but that'll kill our off season fun.....
    Master guide 212