Thread: 338 Win Mag 185 gr. Barnes TTSX

Talking 338 Win Mag 185 gr. Barnes TTSX

Does anyone have experience with the Barnes 185 gr TTSX bullet in the 338 Win Mag??? It looks like it would be a hard hitting long range load...My old eyes can only see out to about 400 yds. I'll leave the EXTRA long range to the hot shots....

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Well, I never shot an animal with them but I got some good groups from a Ruger#1 using 71 grains of IMR 4350, Fed 215 Match and Nosler Brass. The book says that should be about 3000FPS. It may be off topic a bit but, I have had real good results on the lighter side of the .338WM with the200gn Accubond. Very flat with 76 grains of RL19 and I've killed several Caribou with that load out to your eyeball distance. Might give that one a try if you haven't already. The books show about the same velocity for both bullets. I compared the two bullets together when I was looking for a flatter shooting .338. I chose the Accubond because the groups were a smidgeon tighter and Accubond is twenty grains heavier with the same speed.

If you want to use a 180 class bullet why not just shoot a .30 ? 338's are at their best with 225 and up

Beauty of the .338, versatility from 165 through 300 grains so,
    1) May own only 1 rifle
    2) Favorite rifle adjusted for game
    3) Favorite rifle adjusted for trajectory
    4) Just because it is something one might want to try
    5) handloading is fun because you can try all kinds of things
    6) you can try to load a 180grain bullet for Bamby while holding a tag for a Grizzly and carrying a 250 grainer that you know where it will go
    7) cuz ya want to......

Well, I shoot a Ruger 77, 30-338 I built a long time ago, and yes this is my favorite bullet. Have been guiding for over 30 years and tried lots of different loads-- shoots far and hits hard, as well as never breaking up.
    Just my experience and choice.
    Goo

guess "my" theory of "ya can't kill somethin' too dead" don't make no sense round here .....

back country, I am with you 100%-- shot placement!!
    Safe hunting and good luck I will admit years ago when I was guiding, back- up on costal Bear-- I did use a .458WM, 600 gr. Barnes depends on where you are and what you are doing. Have gotten a quite large Russian grizzly with a simple Ak-47. Was not bear hunting---BUT- no choice-- an eye shot will kill anything-
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Barnes 185 gr TTSX bullet in the 338 Win Mag??? It looks like it would be a hard hitting long range load...My old eyes can only see out to about 400 yds. I'll leave the EXTRA long range to the hot shots....

Silver Tip
    You should be good to go with that bullet at < 500yds for most critters.I just did a quick work up with the Hornady Ballistics Calculator.Assuming max load and 3000 fps MV,If the design velocity of the TTSX 185gr is 1800fps minimum,you fall below that between 5-600yds.Looks really good on paper at <400yds.Good shot placement is still the key.

in "my" thinkin' it don't matter a bit if your bullet is 12" or 16" low at 400 yards, it'll still get to where you sent it if you judged the distance correctly and know your combo - what difference does it make if you miss by 1" or 1' ?? ya still MISSED - all these newfangled short/fat bullets with B.C.'s under .400 aren't "long range" boolits and nothin' anyone is gonna say here is gonna change that fact - there are some things that improve "old school" and there are some that never will .... simple as that

Goo - I do agree with the "eye shot" principle when there is no other choice (but don't miss !!)

Silvertip, work it up and let us know how much fun it is. I've toyed with trying the 210 and 185 just for fun. It would increase the velocity which the ttsx likes, and I've wondered how much it will decrease the drop in my rig compared to my 225 ttsx load. As has been said on here a lot, many a bear and other critter has been taken with an 06 launching a 180gr bullet. The combo you are talking about would be a step up in performance.

My current "hold over" at 500 yards is too much to make precise shots at that range, but I can pretty regularly hit a 2 foot gong off my walking stick. I don't plan on taking my 1st shot at that distance, but I'm prepared to make follow up shots for myself or others if need be. (For clarification: While hunting, I don't use target scopes that'll let me dial in the range, which is why I figure my hold over POA on my duplex reticle.) I'm personally not interested in shooting at big game beyond 400.

I'll bet the 185 trajectory will make your hold over more reasonable and therefore more precise. Sounds like you have the same thoughts, and I think you should giver it a try.