Thread: Some Jet Boating outboard questions

Default Some Jet Boating outboard questions

Well, finally got the boat out on Sunday, would have loved to go with the crew on sat but had to work, looked like a fun trip. This was my first trip on the boat, went to the Knik as well, got well past second bridge, then, pretty sure I took a wrong turn and ended up running out of water. This was just a shake-down trip anyway, so just wanted to run boat anyway. No beaching though. Have a 18 foot valco and a 115 yamaha 2s

Had to line boat out of what we were in, clear everyting, sucked up all kinds of stuff, motor did not have water indicating stream when we got back going, beached it again, what we ended up figuring out is that the plastic outlet clogged, never know for sure since I managed to drop it in the water, just zip tied tube out of motor and all seemed good. good stream. Well, first trip caused another round of questions, any input would be appreciated. All in all a good trip for me.

- What extra parts do you guys carry? Already in process of putting together a more comprehensive tool kit, but was wondering any "typical" extra parts you might need on river?

-Lubing the jet, outboard jet instructions just say to add enough grease every 10 hours run time to "clear any water" no indication on how much. What type of grease is everyone using? Any visual fill signs for quanity?

Was fun running it, already in process to correct a few other things learned yesterday, but already planning the next trip!

so far my extra parts list is growing. I have all of the bolts/shims/etc that you remove to pull the impeller because I know that if I keep them all in the boat I wont ever drop any of those parts! I also have an aluminum back up impeller and now I have a beater jet foot that will probably make some trips.

I grease my jet foot till I get no water and fairly clean grease out of the tube.
    Here is what the jet manufacturer has to say on the topic:
    10. Can you use any other grease besides Lubriplate 630 AA and why do we recommend against using a lever type grease gun?

Any grease of the same consistency (NLGI 1) which is water resistant should do the job. The main thing is to keep grease in the bearing cavity and water out. We prefer a hand held jiffy lube since it does not create high pressure. If a cartridge type lever gun is used, it should be pumped gently! Excessive pressure will invert the rubber seal lips and seals will no longer keep water out.
    Tools: a hammer and a hatchet, a good sized crescent wrench along with a cheap socket/wrench set plus a small assortment of pliers and diagonal cutters.

A tool to pick rocks out of the grill.
    Extra nylock nuts for when you drop one getting the foot off/on.
    I need to pick up a rope a long. Not that I would ever need one.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    so far my extra parts list is growing. I have all of the bolts/shims/etc that you remove to pull the impeller because I know that if I keep them all in the boat I wont ever drop any of those parts! I also have an aluminum back up impeller and now I have a beater jet foot that will probably make some trips.
    Make sure to bring spare impeller keys they are the first thing to drop when you are in fast moving shallow gravel river. We spent 2 hours looking for it with no luck 80 miles from the closest town and made it out using a couple rivets in place of the key.

Impleller Key, good stuff, adding to list. My reverse gate is really sloppy, in process of rebuilding it but still need a couple parts, and pick some of those up too.

Keeping the bushings for the reverse gate around is never a bad idea either. They are cheap and while I wouldn't mess with them on a short trip if I was way out there I would. The damage adds up quick when they break and it starts wallowing out the holes. Good point on the Key, I believe that I have one in my kit but wasn't thinking about it. The plastic impeller shaft sleeve is pretty cheap and not bad to have along either.

How about a small tarp to hook to the back of the boat, under the jet and prop up with some sticks on the outside so when you drop anything you will have a chance of retrieving it.

7/16" open end wrench, flat screwdriver, medium channel lock pliers. The wrench to drop the foot, the screwdriver to open the lock tabs, and the channel locks to turn the shaft nut. I always carry a spare sleeve, impeller, and the key and plastic sleeve that slides into the impeller. A spark plug wrench can't hurt, and a phillips screwdriver, needle nose pliers, etc to round out the "what if" tool kit. The first tools will be used a lot if you run a jet. The most common chores you'll do are to re-shim the jet and to use a piece of wire to clear the pee hole. On that topic, if you expect to ever run it aground on sand you may be wise to have a spare water pump kit in the tool bag, too. And to service the water pump you'll need some sockets to drop the bearing housing and shaft as well as the jet housing itself. Not difficult but it'll add tools to the list and every guy on the river should know how to take their jet apart and put it back together. In the old days I carried a complete spare shaft assembly. I needed it a couple of times, too. What you require in spare depends on how many hours you run, where you run, and whether there's anyone around to help when the jet fails. The river was a much lonelier place 30 years ago but I still like being able to fend for myself.

I use a typical greaser from Outboard Jet with Lubriplate that I get at the boat dealers. I push enough grease to have grease exit the vent tube at the end of every weekend.

Spare waterpump kit

What ever fuses you might need
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Something else, you need to have an anchor that's sized to stop your boat and enough line to make it happen in the worst possible places, because that's where your jet will fail. I had a jet bearing seize on the Big Su just above a sweeping corner. When the motor stops you need to toss the anchor and stop the boat or risk drifting into whatever is downstream of you, and that isn't always a bargain. Once you get the situation under control and get the boat to shallow water you'll get to do your mechanic stuff in less than perfect conditions, like in knee deep water with the current ripping through your legs. You may even be lucky enough to piggy-back the girls and gear to the beach so the boat will float high enough to work on it. Fun stuff. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    Spare waterpump kit
    You should drop the jet unit and check your water pump impellor every spring before heading out. This will save you the hassle of having it go out on one of your first runs for the season leaving you stranded who knows where. If you are only going to be running your boat in fresh water get a chrome liner for your water pump they last a lot longer than the stainless ones do when working in silt.

If I had an inboard I would be giving strong consideration to a high-lift jack with a big plastic jack platform. My high-lift is probaby 50lbs but there are newer ones designed for UTV's that will lift a boat and weigh in the 30lb range. One positive for us outboard guys is that we can can just lift the whole deal right up to work on it but with a couple logs and a high lift jack you can get even a pretty big aluminum boat up and out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If I had an inboard I would be giving strong consideration to a high-lift jack with a big plastic jack platform. My high-lift is probaby 50lbs but there are newer ones designed for UTV's that will lift a boat and weigh in the 30lb range. One positive for us outboard guys is that we can can just lift the whole deal right up to work on it but with a couple logs and a high lift jack you can get even a pretty big aluminum boat up and out of the water.
    Just reading through this old thread. Good advice here.

Hi Lift has a new jack out that was designed for use by rescue personnel. It has a lot of different options where you can change attachments at either end, remove the base, use it to push or pull, etc.

The smallest one is 27 lbs, biggest one is 33 lbs.

http://firstresponder.hi-lift.com/specifications.html

Saw one at AIH this morning. expensive!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"