Thread: if you hunt federal lands, under NPS managment.. you should look up for once.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default if you hunt federal lands, under NPS managment.. you should look up for once.

Please take the time to attend this National Park Service meeting in Palmer tomorrow night at the Palmer Depot at 7 PM and don't forget the Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex Public Hearing at the Menard Sports Center on Wednesday from 5-9 PM.

FYI- The first "call for action" under the banner of Preserving NPS lands as part of the 2016 Second-Century NPS is to "prepare a contemporary version of the 1963 Leopold Report". (That manifesto didn't do much good for Alaska....)

Tuesday's NPS meeting at the Palmer Depot could be an opportunity to ask NPS staff what a "contemporary version" ,prepared by them, of the Leopold Report would say....

You can check out the 1963 Leopold Report at:

http://www.craterlakeinstitute.com/o...old-report.htm

[QUOTE]WildlifeManagement in the National Parks:
    The1963 Leopold Report

Advisory Board on Wildlife Management appointed bySecretary of the Interior Udall March 4, 1963:
    A.S. Leopold (Chairman),
    S.A. Cain, C.M. Cottam,
    I.N. Gabrielson,
    T.L. Kimball,

Summary
    Thegoal of managing the national parks and monuments should be to preserve, or where necessary torecreate, the ecologic scene as viewed by the first European visitors. As partof this scene, native species of wild animals should be present in maximumvariety and reasonable abundance. Protection alone, which has been the core ofPark Service wildlife policy, is not adequate to achieve this goal. Habitatmanipulation is helpful and often essential to restore or maintain animalnumbers. Likewise, populations of the animals themselves must sometimes beregulated to prevent habitat damage; this is especially true of ungulates.
    Activemanagement aimed at restoration of natural communities of plants and animalsdemands skills and knowledge not now in existence. A greatly expanded researchprogram, oriented to management needs, must be developed within the NationalPark Service itself Both research and the application of management methodsshould be in the hands of skilled park personnel.
    Insofaras possible, animal populations should be regulated by predation and othernatural means. However, predation cannot be relied upon to control thepopulations of larger ungulates, which sometimes must be reduced artificially.
    Mostungulate populations within the parks migrate seasonally outside the parkboundaries where excess numbers can be removed by public hunting. In suchcircumstances the National Park Service should work closely with state fish andgame departments and other interested agencies in conducting the researchrequired for management and in devising cooperative management programs.
    Excessgame that does not leave a park must be removed. Trapping and transplanting hasnot proven to be a practical method of control, though it is an appropriatesource of breeding stock as needed elsewhere.
    Directremoval by killing is the most economical and effective way of regulatingungulates within a park. Game removal by shooting should be conducted under thecomplete jurisdiction of qualified park personnel and solely for the purpose ofreducing animals to preserve park values. Recreational hunting is an inappropriate andnon-conforming use of the national parks and monuments.

Mostgame reduction programs can best be accomplished by regular park employees. Butas removal programs increase in size and scope, as well may happen under betterwildlife management, the National Park Service may find it advantageous toemploy or otherwise engage additional shooters from the general public. Noobjection to this procedure is foreseen so long as the selection, training, andsupervision of shooting crews is under rigid control of the Service and theculling operation is made to conform to primary park goals.

Recreationalhunting is a valid and potentially important use of national recreation areas,which are also under jurisdiction of the National Park Service. Fulldevelopment of hunting opportunities on these areas should be provided by theService.
    ....[/QUOTE]
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default other meeting reminders

REMINDER ON MEETINGS AND COMMENT DEADLINES
    • Draft Hatcher Pass-Government Peak Unit: Development and Asset Management Plan http://www.matsugov.us/projects/hatc...-and-documents The Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance encourages the creation of North/South, East West motorized corridors to be added in this plan. Comments must be submitted by May 31, 2012
    • JBER (Joint Base Elmendorf/Richardson) Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex EIS This proposed plan has MANY upcoming meeting dates throughout the State. Meeting dates are located on the website www.jparceis.com Comment period ends June 7, 2012 This plan will affect air and lands in Unit 13, Fairbanks and areas in between. Next Valley meeting is May 23, at the Menard Sports Center in Wasilla from 5-9 PM

• National Park Service Plan... Meeting scheduled for May 22, 2012 at the Palmer Depot at 7pm. Below is an excerpt from their website: www.npca.org

Managing and protecting special places.
    The long-term ecological integrity of our national parks is significantly threatened by the state of Alaska’s increasing desire to unfairly target wolves and bears on lands including our national preserves. The Park Service needs to hear your thoughts on how to clearly establish what state hunting rules can and cannot occur on park service land. The state’s philosophy of intensively managing wildlife conflicts with the Park Service’s mandate to manage for natural and healthy wildlife populations and its specific prohibition from manipulating wildlife populations to benefit hunted species. Yet, this is exactly what the state is doing with its targeted liberalization of sport hunting methods for wolves and bears. NPCA is strongly encouraging NPS to just say “no” to state of Alaska hunting regulations that negatively impact park wolves and bears and write its own regulations that clearly delineate how sport hunting can occur on park managed lands.

I atteneded the one here in Fairbanks, they have no interest in working with the state, "the Alaska Consititution, and ANILICA do not alleviate NPS from the congressional mandates that they work under.". and thats straight from the horses mouth to me in the live meeting. when asked how they think they can manage a state resource.. they brushed it off, claiming everyone owns it when it goes on federal lands. ..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

On the plus side, when we become like Europe, hunting will be so expensive and elitist that it will be done with appropriate panache, as golf. Expensive tweed suits and ph's to carry the rifle for you until the shot, etc... such a classy way to go, provided you don't have to carry the grotesque, life-less animal home in your Astin Martin! Too right, cheerio, pip pip and all that.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

The Park Service needs to hear your thoughts on how to clearly establish what state hunting rules can and cannot occur on park service land.

Interesting statement since what can and cannot happen on Park land is already set in ANILCA. Large management system is already in place regulating consumptive use of wildlife on Federal lands. None of the states pred control programs exist on any Fed land. Likely they never will.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    ...None of the states pred control programs exist on any Fed land....
    Better go recheck your facts.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

What's up Vince? You got rid of all the "DIE" language from your previous thread on the same issue. Trying to church up the new thread a bit? Still have fact and opinion confused though.

Here's your old thread; http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-by-leaps-here

Dog gone Aldo Leopold. Anti. What has he ever accomplished for wildlife or conservation? I mean if it weren't for him we could be hunting the big parking lot in the Chugach or the nice fields down by Juneau. A quote from the report you posted; "As part of this scene, native species of wild animals should be present in maximum variety and reasonable abundance."

Can you believe the audacity of someone to actually espouse the belief that National Parks should include the "maximum variety and reasonable abundance" of all animals??? That's some commie pinko hippie crap right there. He'd let those big bad wolves blow our doors down, and Red Riding Hood will never be safe.

Phooey.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince
    National Park Service Plan... Meeting scheduled for May 22, 2012 at the Palmer Depot at 7pm. Below is an excerpt from their website: www.npca.org
    Good that everyone gets a heads up about the meeting in Palmer tonight, but don't confuse the National Parks Conservation Assn. (NPCA) with the National Park Service (NPS).

The meeting tonight is an NPS open house and has nothing to do with NPCA. I'll paste in the NPS press release below. Certainly encourage folks to attend and voice your concerns whatever they may be.

For Immediate Release
    (907) 444-1336

NPS Open House Set for May 22 in Palmer

The National Park Service will mark its 100th anniversary in 2016, and is embarking on a series of actions to transform its work around the country.

To start that transformation, the leadership of the Alaska Region of the NPS has started a series of public conversations about how the Service should work to accomplish the major themes of the centennial as well as discuss current operations and issues in Alaska's national parks.

The second of several open houses will be May 22 in Palmer, from 7-8:30 p.m. The program will start with NPS Regional Director Sue Masica providing a brief introduction of the Service's operations in Alaska and the nationwide centennial themes of how to better connect people to parks, how to advance the NPS education mission, and how to better preserve America's special places.

The public will then be able to discuss their ideas about the Centennial and provide comments about current operations.

“We’re interested in how the Park Service might change to better serve the public as we move towards our second century,” Masica said. “We’re open to hearing all sorts of suggestions, but we know from other discussions that topics such as climate change, access to parks, predator control, subsistence, a lack of diversity among our employees and visitors, and using technology to a greater advantage are important to Alaskans.”

The NPS also intends to hold open houses this fall in Anchorage and Juneau this fall.

A copy of the national “Call to Action” is available at http://www.nps.gov/calltoaction/
    Written comments on the plan or NPS-Alaska implementation can be sent to: akr_info@nps.gov or by mail to NPS Regional Director, 240 W. 5th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The National Park Service cares for special places saved by the American people so that all may experience our heritage.

John Quinley
    National Park Service -- Alaska Region
    Asst. Regional Director, Communications & Partnerships
    240 West 5th Avenue
    Anchorage, AK 99501
    Phone: (907) 644-3512
    Fax: (907) 644-3816
    www.nps.gov/alaska
    Follow us on Twitter at
    http://Twitter.com/@AlaskaNPS

Mark,
    Vince made the same confused mistake in the last thread he started on the same topic. I fear pointing this out again will do little to dissuade Vince from the Jihad he is on. Facts are unimportant apparently.

And again your ignorance of the situation is amazing...i attended the meeting in fair banks 100% NPS..the NPSC folks ( both of them) sat in the audience quietly... in fact Sue was running the meeting and was the one who informed me they did not have to abide by Anlica...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    And again your ignorance of the situation is amazing...i attended the meeting in fair banks 100% NPS..the NPSC folks ( both of them) sat in the audience quietly... in fact Sue was running the meeting and was the one who informed me they did not have to abide by Anlica...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Vince: your tapatalk is consistently difficult to follow. I stay tuned to your posts in hopes that one of them might actually clear something up that you have issue with.

For starters, lets take a look at the Math. 100 percent NPS + an audience which includes you and two NPSC (or did you mean NPCA) is more than 100 percent.... but I would concede your math would be correct if the audience was also 100% NPS. But you seem to make the distinction that they are different ... so I'll assume the Audience was not 100% NPS.

It seems like you and Mark agree that NPS and NPCA are two distinct groups (if the thread progressed logically and your post #9 is in response to his post #7 of this thread). Yet your statement seems to imply he was wrong... which of course would mean you would also be wrong.

It's difficult to have productive discussion when the exchange of dialogue has assertions of others ignorance, and then presents statements that seem non sequitor.