Thread: Pickled rhubarb . . .

Lightbulb Pickled rhubarb . . .

I haven't tried this yet as our rhubarb is just coming up, but if it tastes as good as it sounds, it might be one more way to use the rhubarb that grows so prolifically up here:

Default Looks Interesting

I like rhubarb. I'm the worst gardener in the world and my rhubarb doesn't care. It just grows. I'll give this recipe a try. Might be good sparingly on a green salad. My rhubarb patch kicked into overdrive this week and started growing like crazy. I have the red variety and would like to mix it up and get one of those giant green-stalked Queen Victoria plants growing. I'll trade somebody in the Eagle River area a bag of horseraddish root for a queen victoria rhizome.

When we were kids, we used to get one of dad's shot glasses, fill it with sugar, and go grab a stalk of rhubarb. Nothing like dunking rhubarb in sugar on a summer day . .

I made this for the first time last year and everyone enjoyed it. I would have to dig out the recipe but from what I remember it used apple cider vinegar, sugar, garlic and thinly sliced ginger. The only real trick I have to pass on is cut the pieces only about an inch long, we tried some 3-4in long and it was very stringy.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    I made this for the first time last year and everyone enjoyed it. I would have to dig out the recipe...
    Please do!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

here you go:

2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1.5 cups sugar
    1Tbsp salt
    2 in knob ginger sliced thin
    a few cloves along with a little allspice
    I have had it with chiliís added to the jar and they are great but a little hot for my kids

Boil vineger, sugar, salt, ginger, and spices until dissolved.

Cut the rhubarb into 1 inch pieces and fill the jar.

pour the hot liquid into the jar and screw on the lid, allow to cool.

Refrigerate after cool.

That sounds great. Thanks.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist