Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka Scope Rings: OEM, Talley, DNZ, Warne, or Leupold?

Default Tikka Scope Rings: OEM, Talley, DNZ, Warne, or Leupold?

Good morning guys & gals,
    Well after screwing around for 4 months trying to get a Ruger 77RL to shoot right, I finally sold it and ordered a SS Tikka T3...not a "pretty" gun like the Ruger, but with claimed accuracy that will give me the Kahunas to take a 300 yard plus shot. There seems to be some who think the Tikka stock rings are a weak area...lightweight, buy weak. I've shopped a bit but it's not real clear what the correct option is. In a perfect world I'd find a titanium set for the 1" dia tube...haven't yet. The last thing I want to do is add 6 oz to an ultralight especially if the OEM rings are strong enough for my ultralight VX2. What do you think Tikka owners?

I have some Tikka oem rings you can have for free.... if that answers your question.
    If you are very lucky in life, you will have one dog.

The Tikka Factory rings are fine. In the ten years or so that they have been on the market, I have yet to see a failure. But you can always screw a pair of Weaver #61 bases to the top of the rifle and attach a set of bulletproof Weaver rings. Very light as well.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I never had any issues with them but they do look weak.

If I shot the Tikka more I'd stick a Deadnutz 1 piece on it and call it good- not too heavy and bulletproof...also looks decent on the rifle unlike most 1 piece mounts.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've been using my tikka factory rings since I bought the rifle in 2004. It has been to hell and back and has never had any issues. Always right on.

the Tikka T3 "not a pretty gun like the Ruger 77" ??? HA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha .... whew ! that's a good one !!

I'll put it this way, I have 4 T3's in OEM rings up to 338 win mag, I put DEDNUTZ mounts on a friends T3 300 WSM 0 the DEDNUTZ slipped and my OEM's never have given a moments trouble or worry .... (hint: you gotta mount them correctly)

A couple of years now on my T3 with the OEM rings, haven't moved yet. No issues from them.

If I owned one it would wear Talley LW rings. Darn nice mounts for about 40$.

I currently have 3 tikka T3 Lites (all 300wsm) in my possession. None of them actually "failed", but 2 of the 3 had significant bulging where the pin goes into the mount. Significant enough that I wouldn't trust taking them into the field with me.
    Other people have reported problems with weak screws. I did not experience that problem.

I replaced all 3 sets of mounts with Tallys and so far no problems.

Not sure if I still have all 3 sets in my parts box, or just the "good" one. They are available free (plus postage) for anyone that wants them. PM only.

"significant bulging where the pin goes through the mount" ? HMMMMMMM ...... maybe a picture to show what the heck THAT is ??

for the record, I like those Talley mounts .....

Dirty little town near the end of the road

Stock rings have been fine on my 270 T3.
    “There is no wealth but life.” John Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    Good morning guys & gals,
    Well after screwing around for 4 months trying to get a Ruger 77RL to shoot right, I finally sold it and ordered a SS Tikka T3...not a "pretty" gun like the Ruger, but with claimed accuracy that will give me the Kahunas to take a 300 yard plus shot. There seems to be some who think the Tikka stock rings are a weak area...lightweight, buy weak. I've shopped a bit but it's not real clear what the correct option is. In a perfect world I'd find a titanium set for the 1" dia tube...haven't yet. The last thing I want to do is add 6 oz to an ultralight especially if the OEM rings are strong enough for my ultralight VX2. What do you think Tikka owners?
    If you want titanium,call Cameron @ Murphy Precision.He will make you anything you want in the way of bases or rings,Ti or SS.His stuff is really nice,but it ain't cheap...........

Thanks all for the feedback gentlemen. I ordered the Talley LW from Midway...$45 and I sleep better. The OEM rings just don't smell right. If it looks like a turd, well it's probably wise to stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    "significant bulging where the pin goes through the mount" ? HMMMMMMM ...... maybe a picture to show what the heck THAT is ??

for the record, I like those Talley mounts .....
    I did not say "through" the mount, I said "into".

I'm not going to bother with a picture. You'll have to take me at my word, or not - thats ok too.
    I obviously like the gun, but I found the mounts to be a weak point.

You'll be happy with the Talleys.

I'll post a notice herein if & when the T3 OEM mounts fail me ... til then I'm shootin' as much as ever (IMO, those Finns know how to build a COMPLETE rifle) - I put a set of the Talleys on one of my Kimber Montanas and I do like them, light and the machining is flawless

Dirty little town near the end of the road

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    Thanks all for the feedback gentlemen. I ordered the Talley LW from Midway...$45 and I sleep better. The OEM rings just don't smell right. If it looks like a turd, well it's probably wise to stay away.
    After all the folks that use & are happy with the stock rings, it strikes me you were predisposed to spending money so you could sleep better, guess I wonder why you bothered to ask the question? The rest of us can sleep better with 40 bucks more in the wallet.....
    “There is no wealth but life.” John Ruskin

Gramps...I'd reply to that but after reading 5 pages of turd throwing between you and WWG on the Tikka, I'm gonna take the high road.

Others...anyone actually broke a plastic bolt shroud?

We have been here before once or twice. Pictures of the same problem Milo encountered included: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Ring-round-up

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    We have been here before once or twice. Pictures of the same problem Milo encountered included: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Ring-round-up

Thanks Dave. That is what mine looked like by the time I discarded them. The condition continued to worsen before I replaced.

Gutpile, No problem with plastic shroud, or anything eles for that matter.

I planned to replace mine with one from hinterlands but never got to it and the rifle recently went to a new owner. I have heard of people breaking them but I think the bigger reason to swap it out was to add some gas protection if you ruptured a case. Highly unlikely but $40 is cheap protection.

As for the Talley rings, they were designed by Mr Ultralight himself Melvin Forbes of (New) Ultralight Arms. He sold the design to Talley years ago and they are simply a fantastic light weight setup that many, many people use. All things can and do break and I have seen a broken Talley ring in the past. I am sure the Tikka rings provide great service to many users but to my eye the Talley is a much better choice and the one I would prefer to have on my rifle when the bush plane leaves me standing beside a remote mountain strip with nothing but the gear in my pack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast