Thread: "Limp Home Mode"....What?

Thumbs down "Limp Home Mode"....What?

Was out on the quad with the family tonight...about 3 miles from the trailhead the machine just stopped and read "Limp Home Mode" across the display.

Tried to restart the machine several times over 30 mins...let it cool down, checked fluids, fuses all that stuff and still nothing. Cranked but wouldn't fire.

So the "Limp Home Mode" is so aptly named...we limped home on foot and came back and recovered it with a Jeep.

Not feeling the Can-Am love at the moment...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If that machine is like Evinrude E-tec or the skidoos it will have to back to a dealer to taken out of limp and it might cost you.

I thought the "Limp Mode" would let you start it and at least run the machine at low speed....

Kinda wishin' I still had the gravity fuel fed, pull start, carburated Rancher...good thing I like hikin'.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

that means your a limp d**k for buying a canam or a skidont! go to dealer and give them more money. then sell it before its to late.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    ...wishin' I still had the gravity fuel fed, pull start, carburated Rancher...good thing I like hikin'.
    'nuf said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If it's a bad enough issue then it won't let you limp home. The price we pay for technology

Quote Originally Posted by highgear View Post
    If that machine is like Evinrude E-tec or the skidoos it will have to back to a dealer to taken out of limp and it might cost you.
    Yeah my Etec has a very similar feature (I use that term comically) when it is about ready to run out of two stroke oil, it will throttle way down and just let you use it at a low rpm for a short time. Maybe check the owner's manual, but my guess is it will be a dealer trip that is not cheap. Very odd that all your fluids were good though?!

probably just a lose wire, 5 to 10 hours of labor at the dealership should find the problem, what they charging per hour now?
    Semper Fi!

Interestingly enough...when I took it in the computer said it was a malfunctioning "Crankshaft Position Sensor"....mechanic said probably a bad connector to the sensor rather than the sensor.

Well, at least they got a place to start. Should get it back this afternoon.

These days we're told to check the connectors and the wiring before replacing a sensor. Most of the time this is true but sometimes it's a bad sensor. Wonder if they have a CPS in stock?

My Hondas have the same feature. If you own the service manuals you can pull up the trouble codes on the digital display and find out which sensor went bad. Most sensors are easy to replace and much cheaper to do it yourself.