Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peninsula Brown Bear Success Spring 2012

Default Peninsula Brown Bear Success Spring 2012

To start this story, I'm going to quote Christopher Batins Hunting in Alaska Book, "....the brown bear has represented the ultimate in hunting challenge and excitement. No more convincing proof of this exists than a successful grizzly/brown bear hunter's return from the field. It's a compelling sight. Clothes are usually soiled and torn. Hands are scratched and reddened from numerous encounters with (alders and the skinning knife ) The hunters fiberfill vest reeks with musky smell of bear and human persperation....With quick and articulate hand gestures, and a voice an octave or two higher than normal, the hunter tells of the bear standing its ground, of the first shot, the second and third shots, and the (dads) back-up shot. The story may end in the wee hours, but the tension, the exuberance of the hunter doesn't die. It carries over into the night, the next day and-back home- to parties, conferences and the office."

So here goes my story, that will live on here and hopefully be re-read by those who share a common interest. Going back to October. After an extradonary hunt with stranger and akrst, it was time to plan another adventure to keep the winter from getting to me. I have always dreamt about hunting the Alaska Brown Bear, and now being a resident; it was time. Since my Dad is a non-resident, I could take him along with me for him to share in the dream. We started planning...

Emails were shot back and forth, hours of phone calls each week started. We were getting pumped and it was still 200 days away. To quote my oldest brother, "this is the best thing for Dad, he's getting in shape, eating healthy and STOKED to get there." So, it was on; we were going to try to get 2 nice bears.

Fast forward to last week, Tuesday May 8th. Dad flies in, and we get everything together. We fly to King Salmon, and I'm certain the weather will hold us there for the day. Opening season is the 10th, the day we end up flying in. So, we got camp set up and ready. We were teased with sunny skies, and beautiful weather. Of course; we needed to crack a couple of beers, good luck for bears!
    P5100026.jpg

To keep this shorter, the next 4 days went just about as is; 35 MPH winds, side ways snow, glassing, glassing, hiking, hiking, glassing, hiking. They say you're suppose to get high and glass, but when nothing is moving to glass, you have to move. So we hiked, a lot. After 4 days we saw 2 bears, 30 caribou, 200+ ptarmigan and 2 redfox. It was time to do something different.

We hiked to the top of a mountain in the valley and glassed. Dad spotted a bear about 7 miles away. Trying to show me where the bear was, I ended up seeing 2 others fighting (awesome sight!). As I am a very reactive-aggressive hunter, I didn't want to make a decision. But, as soon as Dad said "F it, lets go where the bears are" I was in. WE hiked the beach the 7 miles out, and went from seeing no bear tracks at all, to bear wolf and fox tracks EVERYWHERE. We knew we were in on it. We came around the corner and a wolf jumped up and took off. My hands were too slow to react in the 5 seconds to get a shot off .

We hiked to where the wolf was and saw a bear on the beach. After glassing him, we decided we would come back to him if we saw no more bears. We had a sow and 2 cubs run into us (about 50 yards away) and went to the top of a hill to glass. The weather turned into 40MPH winds, with blinding snow. We tried to glass but couldn't see anything. We decided to get onto the beach to check that bear out again. We took the alders, and ended up about 700 yards away. We thought it was less. Dads range finders wouldnt go out to range, so we had to stalk the bear. We stalked to within 500 yards (thinking it was about 250, and you can criticize me here, but I won't argue) and he saw us. He didnt run, just knew something was wrong. So I got set up on a log and squeezed a shot into the chest of the bear. I ended up shooting him 4 times. We got him skinned out and hiked him back the 7 miles to camp.

The next day was bright and sunny! So, we hiked back the 7 miles to where I harvested my bear. Long story short, we got BURNT, saw one wolf out of range, and no bears. We were down and OUT.

We decided it was time to move. We had hiked 7 miles west, 4 miles north, 3 miles east. We hunted HARD and decided we needed a different bay. We called Branch River Air on the Sat phone and requested a different bay. I have to thank BRA A LOT because he came out of his way to get us. I asked to move to ----- bay, because all the other bays I knew had people in them. So we packed camp and took off. We landed, got unpacked and re-set up. We slept in (a common occurance) until 10am. The weather was 180 out from where we were the first 4 days. Instead of 45MPH wind gusts, it was 10MPH wind gusts. Life was GREAT. We got up on the first knoll just above camp and were about to start glassing when Dad noticed a bear. He believed it to be a smaller bear, so we wanted a closer look. Ended up being the biggest bear we'd saw all week. We didn't even get our packs off. We dropped them and headed out! I grabbed the range finders and we stalked the bear. This time the range finders worked, 274 yards. The first shot hit the bear square in the shoulder and he stiffened up. One more reassuring shot and he was done for!
    P5120049.jpg
    We got the bear all skinned out and called BRA for a pick up. We were back to town by 8pm.

All in all it was an OUTSTANDING hunt. My Dad and I became a lot closer, and bonded extremely well. We hardly fought (only when I was a --- ) and had great laughs and times. We had heart ache, cold, wind, rain, snow, sleet, sun. Everything I'd expect on a brown bear hunt.

Here's the pack full of bear, we hiked out to the farthest point seen. And less then half way there. P5130065.jpg

Good pix of the Hunters, the prey and a great story to boot!!

You guys like Blonds, eh? Must run in yer family

Rock on, Brian!!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Way to get her done - nice looking bears - congrats!

Congrats guys....!!! How big did the bears end up squaring?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Congrats guys....!!! How big did the bears end up squaring?
    My bear squared 7'7" and dads squared 8'6". Not the biggest, but the hardest worked for, haha. They were the only legal 2 within range. Only saw 12 bears over the 7 days. We saw 9 on the day I got mine. Which included a sow with 2 cubs.

You stayed with him on the long shot and brought him.Great that you and dad got to share such a special time.Good job
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    My bear squared 7'7" and dads squared 8'6". Not the biggest, but the hardest worked for, haha. They were the only legal 2 within range. Only saw 12 bears over the 7 days. We saw 9 on the day I got mine. Which included a sow with 2 cubs.
    Excellent...!!! It doesn't matter how big it squares, or how high the score. Only how happy you are at the end of the hunt...!!!

Nice looking bears and time well spent with your father can't beat that!

Congrats to you both! Can't get any better than that for sure - hopefully you can get your bro in on a trip for all 3!
    Thx for sharing... Beautiful bears!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Good pix of the Hunters, the prey and a great story to boot!!

You guys like Blonds, eh? Must run in yer family

Rock on, Brian!!!
    Ah man, that was a good laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Excellent...!!! It doesn't matter how big it squares, or how high the score. Only how happy you are at the end of the hunt...!!!
    I told him not to come home without 9'+ bears. Always raggin on him not to shoot anything smaller. Just tryin to help his mind set and he studied how to judge bears. I told him exactly what you did when he returned! I shot a 7' on my fall hunt in 07, no regrets, represents the hunt and time spent. I kinda wish I had went with my dad on this hunt with them. But in the end glad I didn't. I knew it would be a good hunt for them to have alone. Plus cheaper on my pocket book!! They did very well in my book!

Good effort. You represented the wider hunting community well. A hard earned bear is a great trophy. Who wants a trophy from a short race? I know....there are alot of gentlemen on here that would give an apendage for one of those bears. At the end of the day you did right by both of em.

Congrats. Who did you choose for Taxidermy?

Great Looking pictures and congrats on the hunt It was nice chatting with you guys on the Plane back into Anchorage Thursday, Our hunt might not have been a Bear success But who gets to start their hunt with a plane crash Congrats cant wait to see pics of the rugs, who you having do them.
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Yeah, you too. Hopefully you guys can make it back out to KS to do that other hunt. Let me know how you make out with that plane! I'll be up in Fairbanks this week working. Maybe I'll see you there.

We're going through a friend out in PA. He does all of our deer and does an excellent rug. Can't wait to get them back!

Congrats!
    Wes

Nothing better than time spent with your dad with duel success to boot! I'm happy for the both of you!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Congrats! Great story. Think we were your neighbors to the South
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Congrats! Great story. Think we were your neighbors to the South
    you were. I talked with Louis. You were pretty close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast