Thread: AK Lifestyle ... what does it mean to you

Default AK Lifestyle ... what does it mean to you

Arrived in AK Aug 22nd 1973 with the Airforce, after a few months I knew I would never leave, grew up though the pipeline boom and bust, and raised a family. Allong the way gathered toys that would let me experience the greatland. Just finished the Batcave by adding a loaded 2009 C6 - Z51 vette, 190+ top end, faster than the airplane but not by much ... Heading down to see my son graduate from Oregon State with a BS in Business. Love the annual summer cycle of filling the freezer with fish & game .... looking for more volunteer opportunities.

Life is good ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Honestly...?

I am a young guy at 33. My Alaska experience is struggling to get as much into the freezer as I can during the summer months, then struggling to go without outdoor activities in the winter months, just eating high on the hog from my summer catches. 170A on a tie down and a Jeep is all I need, and I am grateful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Arrived in AK Aug 22nd 1973 with the Airforce, after a few months I knew I would never leave, grew up though the pipeline boom and bust, and raised a family. Allong the way gathered toys that would let me experience the greatland. Just finished the Batcave by adding a loaded 2009 C6 - Z51 vette, 190+ top end, faster than the airplane but not by much ... Heading down to see my son graduate from Oregon State with a BS in Business. Love the annual summer cycle of filling the freezer with fish & game .... looking for more volunteer opportunities.

Life is good ...
    Ah, those pics take me back to the '81 'Vette that I drove for 22-years, and parked it often under the wing of my TU206G on its Wipline amphibious floats. Those were the days . . . . . I understand that the Cessna, N9975Z, now earns her living in New Zealand.

Nice toys Ocnfish! Personally I think an AK Lifestyle is enjoying the numerous outdoor activities that AK has to offer, whether that is hiking, fishing, flying, hunting, kayaking, etc. I am continually amazed at how many folks live in this great state and only get out a couple times a year. Frankly I don't understand why you would even live here if that is the case. Why put up with all the snow shoveling, darkness, cold, just to live in Anchorage and watch TV every night? Not me! Keep living it up as much as you can and this is an exciting time of the year for it!

Alaska is a great place but I prefer to split my time between Alaska and warmer climates. As I've traveled around I've been reminded that there are lots of truly great places in this country. Alaska doesn't have a patent on that.

Now you know how to make a guy feel bad. Luckly I was able to spend 10 years in Ak in the '80s' and did my share of hunting and fishing before moving back down to E. wa. We do have some fair fishing and hunting but I don"t have to tell you it sure aint Ak.
    Just planning my next trip up there again and hope to spend lots more time in Ak in a few more years when I retire.
    Have a great year, Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Alaska is a great place but I prefer to split my time between Alaska and warmer climates. As I've traveled around I've been reminded that there are lots of truly great places in this country. Alaska doesn't have a patent on that.
    Hook em horns!

Ha! My Aggie daughter would smack you for that! But make no mistake, the Longhorns are a class act and I for one will miss the Thanksgiving weekend rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Ha! My Aggie daughter would smack you for that! But make no mistake, the Longhorns are a class act and I for one will miss the Thanksgiving weekend rivalry.
    Ooops, I had it backwards! Go A&M! I'm a K State fan and a cubs fan so you know how long I have been suffering!

The Alaska experience for me is living in a town that cares enough to build a playground as a community. https://picasaweb.google.com/Miranda...Omt9sKAzZu5wwE I really don't think you could do this in somewhere like Chicago, the unions would shut it down. Alaska rocks!
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

Here since 1959, Except for college or when Uncle Sam sent me overseas.
    Times have changed,,, A-LOT,,, and my view is evolving or de-volving, depending on the situation and circumstance.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default community

IMG_0321.jpgLast night I got a chance to take MDA summer camp kids on rides out at Birchwood from CAP hangar down to the end of runway 1 .... CAP comander on hand as ground control.

The kids had to answer a space/science question to get a ride in a hot car (my car liquid metal). I made about a dozen runs with the same question to the kids .... is it time to go fast? .... Duh, the only answer was YES! In that 1500 ft we jumped on 1st and then slammed 2nd to about 90 mph (offically it did not happen) .... only grins from ear to ear, great night.

Alaskan experience .... just not in the bush :~)

Reading books and doing math/science problems and going to work until I have enough saved for my pitts S2B. Trying to stay fit so I dont have 3rd class medical issues. You have to be really careful in alaska if you are trying to save money, just leaving my apparment other than for work seems to cost me at least 10$, that adds up. Talking on forums even if its just to talk to myself that way im not spending money.