Thread: Marlin 444 and reloading thoughts?

Default Marlin 444 and reloading thoughts?

Just picked up a used Marlin 444, and I would like to know what your favorite load is for this round, if you shoot this particular rifle. Thanks.

AZ, CA

You can find some user-recommended loads at:*
    You can also see other shooter's pet loads at:
    The Speer Reloading Manual No. 13 reports excellent accuracy with the 300 grain Uni-Cor bullet at 2132 fps from 53.5gn of H335 powder, and 2211 fps by 55.5gn of H335.

Los Anchorage

I use H4198 almost exclusively in my 444. It gives great velocity and decent enough accuracy from my rifle. I don't shoot alot of the lighter bullets in my rifle, prefering either the 270gr Speer GDSP or one of the 300gr offerings. I have tried 300s from Nosler, Hornady, Speer and some WFN lead bullets I cast. Aside from the lead bullets all shot acceptably for iron sights and woods ranges, although the Nosler Sporting JHP did shoot the best. I'm not sure how well it will stand up to the higher velocity possible with the 444, as it has a relatively thin jacket, larger hollowpoint, and a pure lead core. Either Speer's 270 or 300gr would probably be a better bet for not coming apart on large game, as they have a core bonded to their jackets.

I've always used the Hornady 265gr. It was originally intended for the 444. Powder is IMR 4198. Shoots well.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks to all who responded...I was beginning to think I was the only one that had one! LOL! Went to shoot the rifle yesterday and it would not feed a round. Everytime I treid to feed a round the lever would get stuck in the down position and the loading gate is stuck open. Had to remove the lever and remove the round manually, I then proceeded to fire it single shot. It shot well using the remington rounds that came with the gun. Only shooting at 25 yards, open sights, and put three shots around the middle of the target. Now I have to figure out what is wrong...well, back to fishing tomorrow, but I'll get to it sooner or later. Thanks again!