Thread: What life vests do you use ?

Default What life vests do you use ?

Iam looking for a vest that works great for fishing and operating a freighter and can float 250 lbs , thanks

You need to go and try several of these on, to see what is most comfortable. A PFD is only good when you wear it. I use one meant for kayaking.

http://www.rei.com/product/814316/mti-big-buoy-pfd is what I bought recently when upgrading because I figured if I need it I want to float my 200#s as high as possible in cold water. This one is rated at 26#s flotation compared to less than 20#s for most.
    The newer fishing specific PFDs look nice as they have fishing designed pockets,etc but have not tried one.

I bought http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...6&pdeptid=1682 after trying on many pfd's for use in the drift boat last year. While I like the comfort that the NRS provides while oaring it looks like the mti that 450 picked up provides more floatation.

The mistake I made when purchasing Mustang float coats for use on the open water was that they are black. That makes them too warm on nice days and they get hung on the back of the seat. Not the best place for any PFD. Not to mention that there are better colors to choose for visibility reasons that may aid in someone spotting you easier. Be selective and find one that is comfortable.

Been using the extrasport osprey since 2007. It's been a really comfortable PFD for paddling, wearing a revolver in a chest holster, poling, and running many different types of canoes.

I constantly use the pockets for most things you need to keep on you and not in the pack. The pockets hold lots of things for fishing and hunting. It comes in camo now, but used to only be avail in Dark Khaki, which is the color I use.

http://store.extrasport.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=462137

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    Iam looking for a vest that works great for fishing and operating a freighter and can float 250 lbs , thanks
    Hello Nessmuck,

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a guy that is super into freighter canoeing with motors... however, there is an ever-traditional presence on waters here in Alaska and these day's we're seeing some new interest with growth potential in both hard-shells plus inflatables.

That said... I'll give you some of my insights as to selecting a suitable life vest or PFD:

1.) Likely the greatest factoring to PFD selection will be the character of water you'll be in and what are your conditions/surroundings. This is stuff such as flat-water, whitewater, volume, difficulty, potential swims, even portaging to hiking out.

2.) Next features should involve your boating style, what's comfortable, and what's better than adequate protection... siding on either extra protection or what may be minimalist yet reasonably self-assuring, safe options. This will be a mix of buoyancy, durability, comfort, and other extras like pockets, zippers, buckles, or zips plus buckles, to serious rescue-type scenarios.

What I tend to look for is the best PFD for my application... it often is a near perfect combination of best buoyancy, reliable durability, fits well, and compliments my boating pursuits.

There are several reputable, well-made brands of PFDs. I am a fan of Extrasport and have been for many years. Quality is excellent, and you'll most certainly find that blending of buoyancy, durability, fit, design features, and one that suits your boating style. I trust Extrasport brand with my guided and self-guided boating rentals Statewide here in Alaska. Looks like you are in New Hampshire... I am familiar with rivers, lakes and coastal waters in the North East of New England. "Mainer in AK" (on here) gave you a good example of the models from the Angler line of Extrasport.

Hope this lends a hand,
    Brian

Thanks for the input,just ordered an extrasport pfd

I just got 2 Extrasport Osprey's based on the comments in this forum- they seem like just what I was wanting for fishing/boating!

I went with Mustang as it works and its what they sell here.Comfortable fit and movement is the most important part for me.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you