Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Trailer Winch Cable in Whittier

Exclamation Broken Trailer Winch Cable in Whittier

This afternoon at the Whittier Harbor I was pulling my boat out of the water and the winch cable broke during the last couple cranks. A very nice guy offered me a tow strap that I was able to use to winch my boat on the trailer. During the chaos I failed to get his name and by the time I was out of the water, he was already gone. I want to one, thank you again, but more importantly I want to pay you for the tow strap. I am hoping you are a forum member and will see this and get me your contact information. You were a life saver and I truly appreciate your assistance.

Glad there was someone there to give you a hand. I know most of the time people are too caught up in catching that tunnel, they forget to be decent people and help others out when needed. Good on whoever helped you today.

The same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago. This winter, I replaced a worn out cable with new and I regret it now. When recovering my boat, the cable came apart at the crimps and I almost freaked out. Seeing everyone around the launch waiting on me, the Mcguyver in me quickly theaded the cable in and out of my boat eyelet and tied it in a knot. Talk about holding good once it tightened up. Heck, I had to cut it off with bolt cutters when I got home. Now I'm thinking about going back to a really heavy duty winch strap instead. Plus it won't bind up between wraps like the cable does.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    This afternoon at the Whittier Harbor I was pulling my boat out of the water and the winch cable broke during the last couple cranks. A very nice guy offered me a tow strap that I was able to use to winch my boat on the trailer. During the chaos I failed to get his name and by the time I was out of the water, he was already gone. I want to one, thank you again, but more importantly I want to pay you for the tow strap. I am hoping you are a forum member and will see this and get me your contact information. You were a life saver and I truly appreciate your assistance.
    His name was... McGuyver! ... and he still made the tunnel!

I agree, it is nice to see someone who will help a complete stranger without even thinking twice. I was a little stressed to say the least with all the boats that were stacked up behind me waiting to pull out. I didn't think about trying to tie a knot in the cable, good to know that works. I have never been a fan of those cables and this just re affirms that. I am planning on going to a strap now as well. I am very thankful for the help today, but feeling really bad about not having the chance to pay him for the strap. I am hoping he sees this so I can make it right.

I don't get excited at the Whittier Boat launch, I don't care how many people are waiting, one mistake and you could have your boat laying on the ramp on its side or have a much bigger problem. I take my time, do it right and drive away.

You might try a craigslist add in the boat section to find him, if you do tell him thanks for all of us. Not often you see someone do anything nice these days.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

FYI I have tied a know in the strap type for a quick "repair", works on those too!

I second Craigslist, 2 years ago I lost my boat keys on the Sterling highway (don't ask) during dipping. The next Monday a super nice guy from here in Anchorage posted he had found keys on the side of the road, sure enough I haven't had to use mare spare set since (knocking on wood)

Thanks, I hadn't thought about posting on Craigslist. Good idea, I will try that as well.

Good conversation all around, and great demo of the good sides of human nature.

I'll throw something out for any and all:

I keep a "fid" in my boat, basically tapered and sharpened spike. It's dandy for splicing loops in hard-lay lines when you need them, but priceless for making loops in cable and even splicing together two pieces if the break isn't at the end. In a pinch I've used a Philips screw driver instead.

I just don't trust crimps. Too often they've failed on me due to wire strands cut inside them due to poor crimp installation, or with non-stainless cables, due to rust or corrosion within the crimp. Anchor ropes or cable, buoy lines, tie-down lines, harpoon lines.... Almost all of those work better with splice and loops than with knots or crimps.

Cable splicing and looping isn't where I'd start the learning. Learn with some soft-lay nylon or poly line. It's darned easy once you've done one or two. I can't recommend any particular book or article for methods, but an online search should zero you right in.

Hi Golfnut. Thanks for posting up. I was the guy who gave you my tow strap and I'm glad it worked out for you. Sorry I couldn't have helped out more but it sounds like everything worked out for you. Right after I gave it to you I was pulling up to pull my boat out of the water and some guy cut in front of me with his truck and trailer. I was the boat nearest this ramp so this struck me as strange. I asked the lady up top to check what was going on she didn't know. Next think I knew some guy was yelling at her and my wife, who's 9 months pregnant and has my 2 year old next to her. Lets just say I forgot all about the tow strap at the point and didn't think about it again until after we went through the tunnel. Funny thing is it turned out he was at the back of the line of boats and was trying to cut to the front so he could catch the tunnel.

Anyway, I was glad to help and glad it worked out for you. I've been there in the past and I'm always greatful when someone offers a hand. Other than the guy who tried to jump in front of the line everyone seemed to be going with the flow and helping out. I'd be happy to come by and pick it up if you still have it but it's not that expensive. I'd written it off when I realized I forgot about it so no worries and I hope it didn't hold you up looking for me.

I am not surprised that it was a forum member!

PatrickL, you are a better man than me! I can deal with folks screaming/yelling at me, but yelling at my wife... Well lets just say I tend to bypass diplomacy...

PatrickL, thank you very much. I would like to think I would offer up help without being asked just as you did. I saw several people staring but you were the one who came forward and offered to help. I too had two kids with me and two one year old labs who were hyper and going crazy and when the cable broke it just made matters that much worse. I have the strap still attached to my boat and it is parked in Whittier. I would prefer to get you a new strap because this one won't be in the same condition as it was when you gave it to me. I will send you a PM and work out the details. Again, thank you, I am grateful for the help.

[QUOTE=LuJon;1124375]I am not surprised that it was a forum member!

Me neither. Right on PatrickL. Thanks for stepping up and helping out one in need. As for the *****hat that was yelling at your wife, I hope he missed the tunnel then a train held him up for another hour too. LOL
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I was happy to do it and the tow strap isn't that important so no rush. If I hadn't been distracted by the guy yelling at my wife I would have stuck around to see if you needed anything else. I was in the same position you were with a pregnant wife, 2 year old and 3 dogs on board the boat so I certainly understood the pressure on you with all the boats stacked up at the dock. Anyway glad to help and no rush.

I think we saw you out on the water as well. We were staying in Surprise Cove, rafted up with a couple other boats, and saw you just outside of the mouth. There aren't many Raider Boats out there so when I saw yours it peaked my interest. Is that a 28ft? Nice boat for sure.

Yep, that was us. We stayed in there Saturday night. I guess I saw you guys in there then too, were you on the right in Surprise Cove as your going in? I recognized the Woolridge in there, believe the owner lives around the corner from me. The Raider is 28ft. Bought it last October so I've only had it out twice. I sent you a PM.

[QUOTE=robbentler;1124427]
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am not surprised that it was a forum member!

Me neither. Right on PatrickL. Thanks for stepping up and helping out one in need. As for the *****hat that was yelling at your wife, I hope he missed the tunnel then a train held him up for another hour too. LOL
    It really wasn't that big of a deal to help GolfNut out. I was going to post up on the forums to see if he was a member and find out if it worked out for him. I've met so many great people up here when I need a hand that it was definitely easy to pay it forward.

As for the idiot at the dock yelling, I didn't even realize what was going on until I walked into the middle of it and even at 9 months pregnant my wife could have handled him. He's lucky I stepped in because he got off easy with me compared to what he would have gotten with my wife. Funny thing was I couldn't figure out what he was in such a rush about until I got back in my truck and saw the time. He was the last boat on the dock with at least another 4 ahead of him and they were all getting on him for trying to cut in line. He certainly didn't make the tunnel so it was a good laugh after we got on our way. Sure seemed like it ruined his day. All in all we had a great weekend shrimping and rafting up with some great folks from the forum so I wasn't going to let this guy ruin it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Yep, that was us. We stayed in there Saturday night. I guess I saw you guys in there then too, were you on the right in Surprise Cove as your going in? I recognized the Woolridge in there, believe the owner lives around the corner from me. The Raider is 28ft. Bought it last October so I've only had it out twice. I sent you a PM.
    Yep that was us. You should go introduce yourself to the guy with the Wooly, if its the same guy. He's a super guy with a very nice family and they were celebrating their sons b-day and gratiously let us join them. I don't know his username but someone here might. We were also rafted up with Spoiled One and lets just say we all had a good time even though the rain never quit. I think at one point we had 12 people in the Wooly telling stories and lies as it typically goes on the water.

Well look us up if you get back out there. I'd like to check out your boat as it looks like a nice rig.

Excellent, always great to hear about people helping others rather than getting in a tizzy because someone is creating a delay. Good story.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Nice boat Dman. I met you Saturday when we were rafted up to Pete. That thing's even prettier up close.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Nice boat Dman. I met you Saturday when we were rafted up to Pete. That thing's even prettier up close.
    Thanks! It was nice meeting you. I always enjoy meeting people from the forum. Make sure you swing by if you see me out there. Pete and I will be doing a little rafting up this weekend as well. We've been talking about it for a looonnnngggg time.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast