Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First of 2012 Hunting Success!!

Default First of 2012 Hunting Success!!

IMG_3031 - Copy.jpgIMG_0035.jpgJust returned from an 11 day AK Peninsula brown bear hunting trip. Had a great time, and saw 38 bears total (including 3 days of non-hunting days due to are arrival 3 days early). Weather was not to bad, I never hunt the mornings anyway, and most of the bad weather would let up around 3pm and we would have decent weather till 12am or so. This trip was my third year into this same area (2004, 2008) and I saw the most bears this particular year, even though many folks I talked to said it was a terrible bear seeing season this year on the Peninsula. Yes we had more snow then normal in the high country, but there was plenty of evidence that bears had been out for some time.

Anyway we ended up taking three good bears this year, passed up plenty of others, and in-fact, I had an 11.5 foot to 11.75 foot boar two different times, once at 402yards, and the second at 406 yards. The last time I had a perfect rest, no wind and a perfect broadside shot, but decided not to take him. I have set my max distance on bears at 300 yards, it was hard to do, but that is bear hunting. This bears front pad was 9 1/2" - 9 3/4" in width, his rear pad to the front of his claws was 16" long. I have a video of this particular bear, with the bear that I ended up taking, and he is easily 1/3rd to 1/2 half larger then my bear. Anyway, if I can get a single frame of the video, I will post it to see what you all think. I believe he was a very old boar, that just recently came out of his den, he did not have a rub mark one on him.

It was just not in the cards for me to take him, but I still took a bear that was exactly what I was looking for. He went 9'9" squared un-stretched with a skull that measured 27 7/16". He was a light brown color, and was a hellava brawler bear. His ears where chewed down to just about 1" above his skull, his outer lip was ripped open, had a larger hole all the way through his lip from a tooth of another bear, and to top it off, he had one nut left cause the other one was ripped up from a not to recent fight! I took my bear with a custom Winchester 70 CRF chambered in a wildcat cartridge, 416 RUM shooting 400gr Barnes TSX at 2410 fps. He was walking straight down a ridge to me and I was a little bit to the right of him. I shot him when he gave me a slight broadside shot at 284 yards, but from the time I touched the trigger, to the bullet impact, he must have changed back to straight forward, and I caught him just below the lower right jaw, the bullet zipped through the atlas joint (spine/neck/head junction) and traveled all the way down to his left hip. He was dead before he hit the ground, but it was late at night (11:25pm) so I gave him about 15 mins (at the time I did not know I hit him where I did, if I did know I would not have waited) and walked up to him. By pure luck, the only part of the skull/jaw that was damaged was part of the atlas joint and a minor crack in the rear skull, but it was not even close to the rear of the skull, and was unaffected for BC measurement purposes.

My buddies bear was 9'6" squared un-stretched with a skull that measured 27 1/4". He really wanted to take this bear with a recurve, and made a stalk on him, but it did not turn out, so he ended up taking him with my brothers Rem 700 in 375 Ackley at 181 yards with 3 shots, all lung hits.

My brothers bear was an 8' squared un-stretched with a skull that measured 22 3/4". He was looking for a rub free hide, and this bear was exactly that. It had an almost red tone to the color. He made a great shot at 165 yards with his Rem 700 in 375 Ackley shooting 300gr Nosler Partitions at 2610 fps.

Well again, it was a great hunt, could not have asked for anything better, my last hunt as an active duty military member, I am retiring after 21yrs and moving back to North Pole in July, and doing a sheep hunt, and was drawn for a Chugach Mountains goat permit.

IMG_2911.jpgIMG_2945.jpgHere is a picture of my brothers bear, and some tracks of my buddies bear.

whow!! thnks for posting!! what do yu think that 11.75 maybe 12 feeter would have weighted and how big ah skull? those bears bigger than kadiak or juneau area?
    great pics\\\ thanks again
    wes

Nice, very nicely done! Great looking bears. You have more respect for not taking the shot than most hunters, giving the conditions, even more than I probably! Sounds like a heck of a brute of bear left to die of old age before you make it back there in 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    whow!! thnks for posting!! what do yu think that 11.75 maybe 12 feeter would have weighted and how big ah skull? those bears bigger than kadiak or juneau area?
    great pics\\\ thanks again
    wes
    Wes-

Thanks for the compliments. Just going off of my bear's statistics he was close to 800lbs live weight, and I figured the big bear was in the high 1100lb to the mid 1200lb range. Comparing head sizes, I figured his skull was in the upper 29's to the low 31's. I know that sounds crazy, but again, just going off of my bears size, everybody I have showed the video to has thought the same on my estimates. The great thing about this bear was how nice his hide was, big bears like him normally don't have that great of hides. His ears were also turned a deep silver/grey color. I figured his hind end when he was walking away from me was about 48" wide. Again, just an awesome bear!

Incredible hunt! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats Steve !!!.....Not surprized at all of your guys success, always knew you all were killin' machines !!! Great bears to start off the new season....Take care...CK

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunteralaska View Post
    Wes-

Thanks for the compliments. Just going off of my bear's statistics he was close to 800lbs live weight, and I figured the big bear was in the high 1100lb to the mid 1200lb range. Comparing head sizes, I figured his skull was in the upper 29's to the low 31's. I know that sounds crazy, but again, just going off of my bears size, everybody I have showed the video to has thought the same on my estimates. The great thing about this bear was how nice his hide was, big bears like him normally don't have that great of hides. His ears were also turned a deep silver/grey color. I figured his hind end when he was walking away from me was about 48" wide. Again, just an awesome bear!
    no - thank you!! is there a chart from game and fish for leaning the waits from bear measurements?
    thank you so much.
    wes

Wow gentlemen! I'm impressed! What a hunt, and those are some beautiful, high caliber bears. Congrats!

AZinAK

Great post and thanks.
    SeaULater

Those are some nice looking bears and that one of yours sure has some character!

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunteralaska View Post
    Wes-

Saw a bear just like that down there on the beach about 17 years ago. From the boat at 40 yards he looked to be about the size of a '57 Volkswagon Beetle. Great country for sure.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Outstanding great bears and story.Ya'll sure did your part as meat hunters.Hope you do well on sheep this year you earned.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Wow - congrats to all on some great bears! I hope you find some time to hunt when your retired

That is what its all about! I have a good friend that just got back with a nice 9'6" or maybe just a little bigger beast. I was suppose to be with them, but it was not in the cards. The military had other plans for me this year, so I will have to be ready next year! Congrats to all three of you!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Well done and congrats to all!
    Thanks also for the 21yrs of service and may you enjoy a long and healthy retirement!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

[/QUOTE]Anyway we ended up taking three good bears this year, passed up plenty of others, and in-fact, I had an 11.5 foot to 11.75 foot boar two different times, once at 402yards, and the second at 406 yards. The last time I had a perfect rest, no wind and a perfect broadside shot, but decided not to take him. I have set my max distance on bears at 300 yards, it was hard to do, but that is bear hunting. This bears front pad was 9 1/2" - 9 3/4" in width, his rear pad to the front of his claws was 16" long. I have a video of this particular bear, with the bear that I ended up taking, and he is easily 1/3rd to 1/2 half larger then my bear. Anyway, if I can get a single frame of the video, I will post it to see what you all think. I believe he was a very old boar, that just recently came out of his den, he did not have a rub mark one on him.
    [/QUOTE]

Did you happen to measure the feet on your bear?

Wow, congrats on the bears. and you have a monster bear to haunt your dreams which is how it should be!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Yup, thats what happens when you get after it. Your solid work ethics and preparations paid off again. You've got a strategy for sucess. Can I buy a bottle of it?

Outstanding Gentlemen! You have my admiration.

[/QUOTE]

Did you happen to measure the feet on your bear?[/QUOTE]

His foot prints measured 8 1/2" - 8 3/4" depending on the soil composition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast