Thread: Hunting Area 20A DM774 Yanert fork

Default Hunting Area 20A DM774 Yanert fork

My wife was lucky enough to draw this hunting area. If anyone has hunted this area before and can provide any information on the area would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by luvtohuntak View Post
    My wife was lucky enough to draw this hunting area. If anyone has hunted this area before and can provide any information on the area would be greatly appreciated.
    Much of the property along the highway is private land.... so check the land ownership maps. I believe the native lands will allow you to cross their property provided you pay their trespass fee/permit.

Do you have pack animals or lots of strong friends to help with the packing?

If you go to a search engine.. type in Alaskamapper.....its a dnr run website that provides yearly updated land ownership maps. it is a lot slower than google maps, but you can also go to there office and have them print you out one. you can zoom in to only your area you plan to hunt and find out who owns what. very useful for the people who post property who isnt even theirs just to keep people away. i have a laminated one every hunt area i go, have fun, and happy hunting.

Tough to do without pack animals or a transporter. Could be done with a bike and trailer in a dry year, but that's lots of trips out with a moose.

Thank you, I will check that out.

My son in law drew that about three years ago. I flew us in and there were a few good spots to land. We were surprised to find a herd of about 25 horses by one cabin, which had to be an oufitter. Lots of horse tracks up and down the river and we saw a few somewhat fresh moose tracks. We hiked, and called and glassed from a ridge and came up with nothing. Perhaps earlier or later might have worked, but we were disappointed. Good luck!

Doubt if earlier or later would have worked. It has, like so many other areas, gone down in moose #'s and way up in guide/hunter #'s over the last several years. Simple fact, tougher than it used to was. Good luck.