Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Kodiak Bear Down

Default Another Kodiak Bear Down

We just got back Teusday from Kodiak for my spring brown bear hunt and had an absolute blast. The hunt started from a 40 mile float plan ride to Uganik Island, which is on the north side of Kodiak. After we landed we unpacked at the forrest service cabin i had rented for the week. It was nice to have a dry place to come back to, though it was about 10 degrees colder inside than out. Ben and I spotted 6 bears that night and planned for the next day how to get a little closer look at a few of them. Over the next few days we stalked a few more bears that we got with in 175 yards for a shot, but weren't the bears we were looking for so we passed. Saturday started out as a beautiful day sunny skies and flat glass water. We decided to take to raft across the bay to see some new areas and glassed there from the boat for a few hours and spotted a bear on the other side of the bay about 3 miles away. Deciding that this bear needed a closer look we motored over and beach the raft about a half mile away. At this point we couldn't see the bear because it had gone back into the alders, so we made our way through to get a good vantage point and wait. Then the weather rolled in and started blowing 30 mph and white out snow conditions. Not able to see we hunkered down under a tree to take cover and try to watch as best we could. A few hours later that bear came out and could barely see him about 300 yards away in the snow. Deciding that we needed to get going and get closer we made our way behind a grass peninsula in the tidal flat, still snowing and wind howling all in our favor we were able to get to within 150 yards and decided to take the bear. He took 3 direct hits and ran a little ways back into the alders. Wounded but not down the bear was growling in the brush, luckily we were still able make out where he was at and took 3 more shots to put it down. After skinning the bear out and getting it back to camp we celebrated a little, then being exhausted and went to bed. When we woke up it had snowed an additional 5 inches, glad we were done we called for a pick up and made it back a day early. Fish and Game recorded the bear was around 9 ft squared, 26 inch skull, and 13-14 years old. Great trip..... chuck IMG_0409.jpgDSCN0212.jpg

Nice old bruin! Good write up too.
    What did you hit him with?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Took him with 340 Weatherby Mag 225 grain Barnes X

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster101 View Post
    Took him with 340 Weatherby Mag 225 grain Barnes X
    The old Barnes X or the Triple shok...??? Congrats...!!!

Used the triple shock. Haven't found many better bullets. Found two of them in the hide one perfectly pettled and one with no expansion. Figured it deflected off a bone because the tip was bent over.

Nice hunt great bear for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Congrats Chuck,
    Looks like you guys had the great unpredictable weather as usual for Kodiak, been there done that hiking thru the alders making our way to goat country in Uyak bay under sunny bluebird skies, then few hours later white out conditions !!!...Gotta love Kodiak !!!
    Congrats on a great bear !!! The hide looks nice, thanks for sharing.....Chuck

Congratulations, Very nice Bear.

Nice bear! How was the hide? I was on Uganik earlier this month and saw a lot of rubbed bears and nothing that big
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Congrats on a nice bear! I've seen similar results on the X bullets,,but everything I've seen was on a dead bear.

Beautiful bear. That will make a great trophy. Congrats!!!!

great job!! i will hunt kodiak in 2014 with scott mileur. can't wait. thanks for the eye candy!!1

Nice job! Congrats on a great do it yourself bear.

Way to stick with it through some crappy weather and make it happen. Nice looking bear!!

Congrats chuck. looks like you had some pretty bad weather, but glad it all panned out for you gotta love the snow!

Congrats!
    Wes

Man, look at that paw! Excellent bear, congrats to both of you.

Awesome Bear! Thanks for sharing the write up and pics.

Beautiful bear, Congrats.

Congrats! a Bear of a lifetime on a DIY hunt. A Hard to beat acomplishment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast