Thread: PWS?!

Default PWS?!

Alright from hearing a few things I'm starting to get worried. How far South am I going to have to go to where there is a minimal amount snow so that the bears are out and about. My hunting partner just spent the weekend in PWS, area I do not know, and said we might want to think about going out of Homer for black bears.

So my question is, am I going to have to go hours out of whittier just to go far enough south to hunt? Or is homer the better option? I will be hunting from May 29th-June 2nd.

What time of day was he looking? If he is back already and he only went on Saturday, that only leaves one evening, which is when we saw ours, and it sounds like most others are getting theirs?

He went Thursday thru Saturday.

You'll be fine man. Was out this weekend from fri night till this afternoon. No bears spotted. Tracks down low, we left the bay and came back and found tracks this AM. They are coming out in the heavy snow areas, snow was very deep but walkable without post holeing, was just looking in trees for tracks.
    The snow is a great thing guys. Bears are a little behind in some areas, but they are out and starting to feed. Skunk cabbage was mauled in the area I was. Rained every day all day and night. Saw one carcuss in Kings bay area, legs were atleast harvested but lots of rib meat wasted in my opinion, but legal. Nobody at dock had bears in the boats from that heard or saw. Next weekend thru the end of the season June 10th, will be great, if the weather cooperates! Was cold last night, no new snow where we were anyways. Grass is greening up and snow is still hanging around up high. No need to hike for PWS bears. Well hike/stalk down the beach is all! Still a good time though and saw a whale or a few maybe right outside the port heading in. Most went right by, we were the only ones to stop and go back and watch.