Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey "elktooth"...!!!

Default Hey "elktooth"...!!!

.......Let's hear the story about the 21 year old brownie you just killed...!!!

For you guys wondering what I'm talking about check out page #14 http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Photo-Gallery

+1 on that. A picture is worth a thousand words, but there are more words to the story than just a thousand!

ok guys... I'm not much of a writer, but I got drawn for an 11% brown bear tag on kodiak. I asked a friend from montana to come with and was thankful he did.. I wasnt expecting to see much, but knew i would hunt my heart out trying to get a bear. My goal was an 8+ boar. We flew in on april 29 and couldnt hunt untile the first. the morning of the first we slept in and woke up at nine a.m.(I hate when that happens!)we hiked up a mountain and from one spot we could see 11 different bears, but only two of them were boars. we decided to move and got pushed back to our original spot by a sow and three cubs. at about six p.m. this boar fed insight about 500 yrds down from us. I knew he was big. we started to make the stalk and saw that he was chasing another boar from the area. at this point we are 392 yrds from him, but i wanted to be under 200. we got to 211 and couldnt get any closer due to the brush. I should have known i needed to aim low due to the 20 degree angle down. my first shot went right over his back... so i aimed lower and my second shot dropped him (300 win mag. 180 gr). I was lucky my buddy was filming everything and he got some awsome footage ( I will post the video as soon as i figure it out).We were planning on a ten day hunt, but was amazed it only took one. Fish and game said he is over ten feet and measured the skull at 28 5/16. It tied the record for that area from 2001.They estimated the age to be 21. he had broken and missing teeth. This is my first brown and i am thrilled it turned out this way. Awsome experience! here are some more pics!

Nice bear. What bullet were you using? Did you recover it?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks. I used 180 grain federal premium nosler accubonds. and i didnt recover it, but wish i would have.

Very nice bear! Congrats on a trophy of a lifetime
    What part of Kodiak were you hunting?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

What a monster. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Very nice bear! Congrats on a trophy of a lifetime
    What part of Kodiak were you hunting?
    thanks! DB 231 (south of port lions)

A fine bear for sure with only a couple years left in him at a guess. He can now live forever and not be lost to the world if taken care of.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Helluva a bear there Mister!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    A fine bear for sure with only a couple years left in him at a guess. He can now live forever and not be lost to the world if taken care of.
    Indeed....now that old monarch can be honored for years to come. Thanks "elktooth" glad you saw that I "paged" you...lol. I had to hear that story. One shot from the 300wm at 211 yards?.....great job...!!!

Great story! What a trophy!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Nice work Elktooth. What a monster! You'll be telling grandkids about that one.

AWESOME! Great bear! I really enjoyed that video.

But I just about fell out of my chair hearing that managed to slay the beast with a puny .300 winny mag

Everyone knows you must have a minimum .375h&h to step foot on ADQ!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

That's a very nice bear! If that is your first one, I bet the rest all look small compared to that guy and hard to top.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I just have to ask, Amigo.................when you only have a couple years left.............................................. ......can we end your time, preserve you, and you can live forever?
    Maybe your wife already has plans??
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for sharing the story. These forums are as close as I'll get to a spring hunt bear hunt this year. I would like to hear about the shot placement. Beautiful old bear!

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Thanks for sharing the story. These forums are as close as I'll get to a spring hunt bear hunt this year. I would like to hear about the shot placement. Beautiful old bear!
    Hey bnkwnto, I know how you feel I spent 14 months in iraq myself. hope you make it back in time for the fall hunts! as for the shot placement my first shot went over his back and he picked his head up and looked to his right giving me and awsome forward window of his neck and spine. I aimed lower on the second shot and hit his spine right under the hump and the third shot was just a safety in the shoulder. Thanks for you service!

That is one nice bear elktooth congrats and good shooting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast