Thread: Anc Instructor - private rating

Default Anc Instructor - private rating

I know this is always hashed and rehashed and I searched but I only found flight schools. I'm in Fairbanks so really can't help her out.

I'm looking for an excellent instructor for my sister. She's getting her private. She will be doing this is in a taildragger.

The biggest problem I had getting my ratings was instructor availability. I am in FAI and had a great instructor but availability was hit or miss, and sometimes weeks went by because of schedules and/or weather. I ended up finishing with a new CFI just because I couldn't wait any longer. So I want to find her a good instructor AND and someone who can instruct 2-3 times a week.

Any recommendations? Prefer ANC area unless the instructor is willing to drive.

Thanks

AKBOU

Pat O'Hare out of Birchwood or Heidi Ruess at Lake Hood.

Heidi is simply outstanding. I highly recommend her and her son, Rick.
    I spent many great hours flying as a student with them both.

Quote Originally Posted by jstroke View Post
    Pat O'Hare out of Birchwood or Heidi Ruess at Lake Hood.

I also rec Heidi. Never flown with Rick.

Ifn ya want a current comm PenAir pilot and CFI and a great pilot and person, I'd give Jamie Hastings a call. They just moved to the Jack Fish strip off Fairview Loop. Fair, patient and a good guy with a beautiful family.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    I also rec Heidi. Never flown with Rick.

Ifn ya want a current comm PenAir pilot and CFI and a great pilot and person, I'd give Jamie Hastings a call. They just moved to the Jack Fish strip off Fairview Loop. Fair, patient and a good guy with a beautiful family.
    Jamie did my ticket with me. Absolutely outstanding person and pilot. Even after getting my ticket, we fly as much as we can together and I am constantly learning new things from him.

Problem is if you use heidi as your CFI she cant do your check ride. Although you could use heidi as your CFI and do your check ride in soldotna with Dean, thats what I did because heidi went on vacation and I did not want to wait and risk loosing my summer window and have stuff expire on me. heidi can sign you off on a one way to soldotna, sitting in soldotna by yourself is motivation not to fail as its a FULL day to preflight fly out there, do the paper work, the ground test and take the check ride and fly back. Also be prepared for a slightly higher stall speed with heavier people in the plane, the short fields were a little harder during hte check ride but he did not seem concerned.

Wether you use heidi or land and sea its going to be a rodeo, as far as I know neither one of them are fast track programs so you are dealing with scheduling instructors and bad weather. Land and sea has an online scheduler which makes it nice but I dont think they will instruct you in your own plane. Also the weather in Alaska has been crap last summer and is shaping up to be a lousy summer this summer as well, its already early june and it feels like we are entering an ice age, the snow will probably not even be off the mountians until July if some consistant good weather does not break loose. I would get used to flying in legal but less than ideal weather to get hours in. I love the blue skys and high 60's low 70's but the way its shaping up we will be lucky if we get just a few of thoes this summer.

Also the biggest kicker is you need to have pretty much open vacation at work with 5 min notice in case the weather breaks loose and you are able to schedule the plane, good weather does not wait till the weekend and everyone and their brother will have weekends booked up more often than not. One way to do it is just pre book what you want WAY in advance like 3-4 days a week but you have to make sure your on top of any cancelations as you will get charged if you cancel for any reason other than weather.

As I was doing this the thought did cross my mind to just take 2 weeks off and go to arizona and enroll in a fast track program to get it over with as they never have bad weather days so you can fly 6 hrs a day every day until your done. They also better facilitate your check ride and your tail wheel cert and you can even get some time in a S2C your last few days. To bad the economy is in the toilet there becuase it would be an amazing place to live for a private pilot, too many dangerous weather issues in Alaska.

I'm a student pilot training with Jay Baldwin (youflyalaska.com) in Palmer (Wolf Lake). I'm very pleased with the training I've had with him and he comes VERY highly recommended on this forum. Jay travels a bit but if he is around he will train every day. I soloed pretty quickly due to getting to fly nearly every day. Jay's focus is on off-field which I also like.

Unless you live right in that area wolf lake is WAY out of the way. Nice strip but I dont know why they built it in the middle of nowhere. Would be nice to live there if it was not a 2 hr commute to anchorage lol.

Heidi and Rick are both absolutely outstanding.