Thread: Cod explosion

Default Cod explosion

I have only been fishing the Homer are for four year. the first year we caught only a few cod. Last year we caught them one right after the other. To me it looks like the cod population has exploded. That is only based on 4yrs of fishing the Homer area. What was it like say 10 or 20 years ago? Could the high number of cod compeeting for food have caused the slower growth rate in the halibut?

ADFG website currently has an service outage as I was looking for the 2012 cod harvest data. I can't speak for Cook Inlet but from what I recall during research on this topic in PWS, the commercial folk harvested far more cod this spring than in previous years. I'm hoping this will help reduce the numbers some and allow us to better target halibut. We fished areas where our baits wouldn't even reach the bottom before getting hit... While we do like to eat some cod, it does get a challenging when trying to catch different species.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I have only been fishing the Homer are for four year. the first year we caught only a few cod. Last year we caught them one right after the other. To me it looks like the cod population has exploded. That is only based on 4yrs of fishing the Homer area. What was it like say 10 or 20 years ago? Could the high number of cod compeeting for food have caused the slower growth rate in the halibut?

I see the same thing in the north gulf coast near Valdez, Nature hates a vacuum,with the decline in Halibut stocks something is going to fill the void.

And as for that BS about plenty of Halibut just slower growth rates, Thats just an extension of Americas obsession with lying to itself,Political correctness is nothing more than being dishonest about reality. The large Halibut numbers from just a decade ago are gone forever from overfishing, Within ten years we will have three week Halibut seasons just like the washington state area, and a large Halibut will be 40 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    20-30 years ago we still used to catch cod. But mostly it just depended on where you were.....some places you went you caught more, some less. The last couple of years I haven't caught a single cod where I fish. What I still worry about tho is the darn sharks. At least with the cod you can get a nice chunk of meat off of them.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    20-30 years ago we still used to catch cod. But mostly it just depended on where you were.....some places you went you caught more, some less. The last couple of years I haven't caught a single cod where I fish. What I still worry about tho is the darn sharks. At least with the cod you can get a nice chunk of meat off of them.....
    I haven't fished seriously out of Homer in years, but back in the 80's we used to get into them pretty good at times. It was just like dogfish, though: If we got into a school of cod, we'd pick up and move a few miles.

I was hoping this thread had a video of an exploding cod.....

The cod have been around for a long time. I know in the upper Cook Inlet we have been catching them for years, however in the last 4-5 years it seems there are more of them, but the same thing could be said of Skates and Sharks. I remember years when we would catch 2-3 skates a day in some places and now not so many. There are also places where the sharks are terrible, but there are places where we never catch them.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Considering cod are a prey species of halibut, I don't see how an increase in halibut food is a bad thing for the halibut stock.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Never thought about Halibut eating cod but I did have some concern for overpopulation of cod eating baitfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Considering cod are a prey species of halibut, I don't see how an increase in halibut food is a bad thing for the halibut stock.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Never thought about Halibut eating cod but I did have some concern for overpopulation of cod eating baitfish.
    It kind of sounds like the rabbit/fox cycle. Not sure about up here, but back home the rabbit population ran in cycles as did the fox population. They were dependent on each other. The rabbit population would explode and the next year the fox population would explode due to abundant food. When the food got depleted, the foxes would die off in the winter because of lack of food. The lower predation numbers allowed the rabbit population to explode and the cycle would start over.
    So, if the halibut population (at least the large ones with mouths big enough to eat a cod) has shrunk, then logically their prey population would explode.

AK Chappy

Cod is one of my favorite "go to" baits for halibut. People I take out from back east think I'm crazy for "wasting" a perfectly good eating fish, but when they pull in a nice eating halibut with a strip from that "good eating" cod they think a little differently. One of the nice things about it is their skin is really tough and it'll stay on your hook a long time. And if you soak it in some herring oil it's even better.

Back on the subject---I've been fishing K-Bay since about '92 and in all that time I've never seen any big difference in the number of cod. Like a number of people have said here it just kind of depends on where you're fishing, and that from year to year there are always going to be differences in the population. Go to one spot and all you'll get are cod and then a week later go to that same spot and no cod. Same thing year after year.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

cod.jpg

Like this one I caught in Seward last weekend

Got some catching up to do...just returned from 4 awesome days [flat seas, and sunshine/burn] in PWS living on the boat, shrimping, fishing and chasing bears. I'm proud to report after ~ 50 hours of me and my buddies soaking baits and jigging all kinds of stuff at all kinds of depths...I finally got a hook into a nice 5 pound Yelloweye. Grilled it within the hour! Funny thing though, now I'm standing there ~ rod in had WISHING for some cod to bite ~ WTH??? I wish I had the "codes" to bottom fish. We do quite well on most everything else but I am focusing our efforts on hali's this season. Even rented some forest service cabins so we can hopefully stay out there [wx dependant] instead of burning precious fuel running all over.