Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Bears of the year for me...

Default First Bears of the year for me...

Went to freshen up my stand and still had tons of snow in the area. Got on a pair of fresh tracks about 3/4 mile from my stand on the way in and followed them all the way to it. Not happy with the color of them. I've been at this stand for 7 years and this is by far the earliest I've ever been hit...CDY_0404.jpgCDY_0373.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
    Not happy with the color of them.
    Don't feel alone buddy.......

Quote Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
    Went to freshen up my stand and still had tons of snow in the area. Got on a pair of fresh tracks about 3/4 mile from my stand on the way in and followed them all the way to it. Not happy with the color of them. I've been at this stand for 7 years and this is by far the earliest I've ever been hit...CDY_0404.jpgCDY_0373.jpg
    Do you have any other pictures? I'll be honest with you, that looks like a pig of a cinammon to me. I am looking at the left picture and the claw I can see does not appear to be a grizz claw. Just looking at the shape of the head and ears, I think you might have a shooter there. I would love to see some more pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    that looks like a pig of a cinammon to me.
    Now that you've broken the ice.... that same thought went through my mind when I looked at it 2 days ago but I'm very inexperienced with judging bears. It has the conformation of a black bear in my opinion. Best of luck if you decide to sit that stand!
    Go Big Red!

Certainly looks cinnamon. Post up a few more pics. I wouldn't even mind a few 15-30sec video clips.

Solid head pic would be good.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I agree, it does look like a cinnamon, not a grizzly from the given pictures. If so that is a DUDE of a bear there, i'd be up in that tree right now.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Its a grizz.. no doubt at all..looks like a younger one at that

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm seeing a shoulder hump and long legs. Like Vince said...
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Its a grizz.. no doubt at all..looks like a younger one at that

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    No doubt? Can you tell me why there is no doubt? Am I the only one that can see the claw on the left front foot of that bear? If that is a grizz claw, I know nothing about bears.

It has a hump? Well it is kind of twisted a bit and obviously all bears have shoulders that will protrude upwards in certain positions.

You show me a better picture of its head and it will be an easy determination. Show's all the signs of a BIG cinnamon bear, including big head with stubby ears. But, heck, I'm not a forum expert, so I could be 100% wrong. Hate to see wilder give this bear a pass if it is "not" a grizz.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I'm seeing a shoulder hump and long legs. Like Vince said...
    Shoulder? All bears have shoulders. Long legs? I don't see that, I see a "compact" bear which could signify a bulky older black bear. Young grizz usually aren't that thick looking. I guess more pictures are needed, but I am convinced it is a color phased black.

I guess it's a black.

3 days with no response from the OP. I wonder if he is to busy sitting on his stand!

I lean towards a giant cinnamon but am not an expert. How about I hunt that stand and let everyone know?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Not sure I've ever seen a trail cam pic where its that hard to say black or grizzly. Judging by the size I'm leaning towards sow grizzly. If that is a black bear its probably the biggest with the most unique hide I've seen.

Yes, I sure would like to see a few more pictures. Then I would be more than willing to admit if I made a mistake. That one claw seals the deal for me though.

I dunno.... We saw what we initially thought was a huge blackie last weekend off in the distance then a few minutes later about an 8' griz walked out and mounted it. Oh, well glad we watched for a while and didn't get after it! Sneaking up on a couple mating griz with my kid in tow would have made my little 280 seem awful light and probably brought some of the ole ladies wrath down on me! Really pretty dark sow though and the situation offered one of those natural opportunities to break the ice about the birds and the bees to my son. Kind of dumb looking back on it cause I had my 30x zoom hd camcorder sitting right there and never even picked it up!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I dunno.... We saw what we initially thought was a huge blackie last weekend off in the distance then a few minutes later about an 8' griz walked out and mounted it. Oh, well glad we watched for a while and didn't get after it! Sneaking up on a couple mating griz with my kid in tow would have made my little 280 seem awful light and probably brought some of the ole ladies wrath down on me! Really pretty dark sow though and the situation offered one of those natural opportunities to break the ice about the birds and the bees to my son. Kind of dumb looking back on it cause I had my 30x zoom hd camcorder sitting right there and never even picked it up!
    A picture of the head would make the determination much easier to determine. Everything looks right to me and I've seen plenty of cinnamons that look just like that with the same color, so the coloration isn't a big factor to me. Hopefully we will get some more pictures of that bear dead or alive!

I too would just love the debate to be resolved. No hard feelings from this end if I'm wrong. I'll be sure to gloat if it's americanus and not arctos, at least within the circle of folks I know in this thread. The ears look small and wide but might be much bigger but they are tucked back to stick its head in the barrel. I'm still not seeing the griz hump. The near leg is back and the bear is leaning away so it might be hiding the hump as well. I'm still saying blackie until proven otherwise!
    Go Big Red!

Default Follow up

Sorry guys, I've been working nights this week and I can't post pictures on the computer at work. Here are a few more pics that should clear up the debate. I usually have these brown fur balls hit my site first and then starting around the 26th my blacks move in. Looks like a boar with a sow to me, I hope anyway and they are just passing through… I heading back out Friday to freshen it back up again and then start hunting on Sunday night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast